Oasis of the Seas - Gluten free

Hello,

We are booked to go on the Oasis of the Seas this September. Our 15 year old daughter is a celiac and requires a gluten free diet. We have been on Brilliance of the Seas before and they catered really well for her. I wondering what have been people's experience with gluten free on board the Oasis. My concern is that with the amount of passengers in the MDR each night are they going to be able to cater for a gluten free diet as well as they did on the mid size ship we were on? We plan to eat in the MDR most nights but would like to know what other gluten free options are available at other food venues.

Would love to hear of any experiences that people have had on the Oasis of the Seas with regards dining gluten free.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I sailed on the Oasis in October 2011 and am a celiac. Upon arrival I met with the Dining Room Manager and made sure that my request for gluten free needs had been communicated. I was provided with many options and I felt completely safe the entire cruise. My meals were delicious and varied in the MDR. We have sailed on many RCCL & Celebrity cruises and I always been well cared for. In my experience, just taking the time to develop a positive relationship with the person in charge has been beneficial in providing for a worry-free holiday. We were on the Allure when she first set sail and also had a great experience, even on a ship so large I was greeted by my name and fresh GF bread when arriving for dinner. The specialty restaurants were awesome in accommodating my dietary concerns and I found the pizza to be quite tasty.

Cruising has been a great way to travel as a celiac. I had the pleasure of getting to know the Executive Chef on the Celebrity Constellation last year. I spoke with him many times throughout the cruise; sharing ideas about different GF flours and breads and how GF meals are prepared to prevent cross-contamination. It was reassuring to know how seriously it is taken by RCCL and how open he was to discussion. You'll have a great time on the Oasis. Enjoy!

I am gluten free and sailing on Allure in September. I sailed Monarch a few years ago, and had a fairly good experience. It seems like RCI is getting better about catering to their gluten free guests!

I do have a few specific questions, however. Can you get gluten free cupcakes at the Cupcake Cupboard? What about gluten free hot dog buns at the Dog House? Gluten free ice cream cones? Also, what about gluten free donuts?

On Monarch, we brought along our own ice cream cones, which worked out well. I will probably bring along my own ice cream cones and hot dog buns unless word is that they'll have them on the ship!

I forgot to mention that I brought some of my favorite GF Ciabatta rolls and bread from home and stored in the fridge. I brought them down, wrapped in foil, to either the MDR or speciality restaurants and they were heated for me. I had no problem doing this at all.

Hello,

I sailed on the Oasis in October 2011 and am a celiac. Upon arrival I met with the Dining Room Manager and made sure that my request for gluten free needs had been communicated. I was provided with many options and I felt completely safe the entire cruise. My meals were delicious and varied in the MDR. We have sailed on many RCCL & Celebrity cruises and I always been well cared for. In my experience, just taking the time to develop a positive relationship with the person in charge has been beneficial in providing for a worry-free holiday. We were on the Allure when she first set sail and also had a great experience, even on a ship so large I was greeted by my name and fresh GF bread when arriving for dinner. The specialty restaurants were awesome in accommodating my dietary concerns and I found the pizza to be quite tasty.

Cruising has been a great way to travel as a celiac. I had the pleasure of getting to know the Executive Chef on the Celebrity Constellation last year. I spoke with him many times throughout the cruise; sharing ideas about different GF flours and breads and how GF meals are prepared to prevent cross-contamination. It was reassuring to know how seriously it is taken by RCCL and how open he was to discussion. You'll have a great time on the Oasis. Enjoy!

Thank you for your reply. :)That's great to hear that you had such a positive experience. I remember on Brilliance of the Seas the chef came to our table the first night and spoke to us, he also rang our room to see if everything was going well. We were given a lot of personal attention with regards to the GF diet from the chef and the head waiter but I always wondered if that was because I was writing an article for a celiac magazine which they knew about. We were also given a personal tour of the kitchens. It seems from your experience that they really do look after those that need a special diet very well regardless of the ship. By the way how is the GF bread these days? My daughter said it was awful on Brilliance of the Seas but they did try and improve it and towards the end of the cruise it tasted better.

Archived