Heat and cameras

taffy12

As a proud soon-to-be first time DSLR owner, you can bet I plan on taking good care of my new baby...so obviously I don't intend to leave it in my car all day or anything crazy like that, not in the south. But I must ask, how much can a camera like this withstand? For instance, we drive down to Florida to cruise in May or June - when it's hot, hot, hot - and usually stop several times on the way, most significantly for lunch at a fast food restaurant. We're only inside for 30-60 minutes, I'd say, but the car gets pretty darn hot in that time. I never trust leaving my point-and-shoot in the car, but it's a little easier to toss that into my purse and go than it will be to haul a DSLR bag inside. Do I need to? Would the camera be ok in the car for a little while or should I just keep it with me to be safe?

DSLRs are pretty tough, as are most point & shoots. As long as it is not left directly exposed to the sun through a window, it should be OK. I have left my equipment in the the car while having a late breakfast in Baker, CA with the outside temp at 114° with no ill affects. The bag was very warm to the touch after an hour but the inside was maybe just over 100°. I usually keep my bag on the floor behind the seat with a blanket folded over it and that helps to delay the effects of heat build-up. Hours and hours at high temps might eventually cause harm to the batteries, but not for the span of a meal.

The operating range of most DSLRs is about 32°F-105°F but the hot side is a bigger problem. Ar the cold end, battery life drops dramatically but the camera will still shoot. At the top end, the sensor will start to produce more noise and some models will actually shut down to avoid overheating. Reasonable care should be taken but don't treat it like a museum piece...use it!:D

Dave

I'd agree - as long as you keep it out of direct sun, I wouldn't expect heat to be damaging to a camera - I'd worry more about theft than heat! Living down here in hot and humid Florida, I have occasionally left my camera in my car for short breaks like this - grabbing a meal - and no problems have occurred. As Dave mentioned, if it's in its bag, put it down on the floorboards, maybe cover it up, or put it in the trunk (where it may be more secure anyway for prying eyes). When I've had only my camera with me, I've thrown it in my center-console bin or glovebox...works just as well. I wouldn't leave it in the car for 3-4 hours on the hottest of days, but an hour or so for a meal or trip into a store should be fine.

Archived