Voyager cabin problem...what can I expect from RCI?

Hello,

just back from 4/9 Voyager sailing. As al our prior cruises, this was a blast, however we had a problem with the cabin the last two nights.

At around 11pm both nights, the cabin started having unbearable creaking noises, the first night it kept us awake, the second night even our 14-month-old couldn't sleep. Guest relations sent someone in the room during the day and found no problem (seas were not rough at ALL); the second night at 3am my husband insisted they sent someone; they gave us another room (this was the last night of the cruise); they told us they could npt offer any compensation but gave us RCI's phone number to call and get a resolution.

Husband is calling tomorrow. What can we expect in return for the inconvenience? We are really tired and the baby was unimaginably cranky on the flight home re: no sleep.

WDYT?

TIA,

Ago

People have bad shore excursions and get free shipboard credit and I should expect nothing when I got no sleep because of a problem with their ship for two nights?

When I shell out thousands of dollars for a cruise, I expect the bare minimum. Did not get that this time...

I'm not sure I understand. On the last two nights of your cruise your cabin began to "Creak"? Like the door or the cupboard? OR What? I don't think RCL would be willling to compensate you for what? Inconvenience of? I'm sorry but you are on a ship that is in the ocean and one would expect it to move, creak and whatever!

You know on my last cruise on our last morning I was disturbed by all the lights and noise coming into Miami and you know what I didn't get anything. I guess I should have written a better letter.

Sorry but I don''t see anything to be compensated for. But hay good luck with your letter to RCL.

Hello,

just back from 4/9 Voyager sailing. As al our prior cruises, this was a blast, however we had a problem with the cabin the last two nights.

At around 11pm both nights, the cabin started having unbearable creaking noises, the first night it kept us awake, the second night even our 14-month-old couldn't sleep. Guest relations sent someone in the room during the day and found no problem (seas were not rough at ALL); the second night at 3am my husband insisted they sent someone; they gave us another room (this was the last night of the cruise); they told us they could npt offer any compensation but gave us RCI's phone number to call and get a resolution.

Husband is calling tomorrow. What can we expect in return for the inconvenience? We are really tired and the baby was unimaginably cranky on the flight home re: no sleep.

WDYT?

TIA,

Ago

Oh what the heck. I think you and everyone else who lost sleep should get a free cruise. Done!

Hello,

WDYT?

TIA,

Ago

Just a question....what cabin where you in???

Ago, You said they gave you another cabin the last night,so someone other than yourselves heard the creaking,and agreed it was bad,right? Was the new cabin nice and quiet? If so, I hope you at least were able to get a couple hours of sleep.It's a shame you didn't get it for both nights. I agree with you,when you pay good money for a vacation,you expect certain basic comforts. Reasonable quiet,so you can sleep should be one of them.I always travel with ear plugs,as even high class hotels can have loud disturbances in the halls,or a loud TV next door. Go for it. Write your letter. I see your point and hope that RCL see's it also,but I wouldn't count on it.

Guest OBAYbee

On ANY trip I bring ear plugs. And in the instance you describe they would have come in very handy.

That said, stop and think a minute. Since it was the end of your cruise, loosing some sleep didn't disrupt your vacation correct? Keep in mind, and I will do the same, that when everyone demands compensation for every little thing that isn't to their liking..eventually that affects us all price wise.

Just a thought. My suggestion would be make noise when their is a significant problem and try and let the things that can be handled by maybe going to bed earlier the next night take care of itself.

Hello,

WDYT?

TIA,

Ago

I hate to say it but I think you already got all that you are going to get. They moved your room and it was only two nights. what exactly would you be looking for, a two night credit on your next cruise? You may feel satisfaction in getting it off your chest, but as I have already said, you have been compensated---you got another room! Remember the good times you and your family experienced on your trip, do not focus on the one minor negative--life is too short!

I wouldn't expect any compensation. As soon as they heard what the issue was (when they heard it themselves) they took the appropriate measure and moved you. If theyw ere going to do anything for you a box of chocolates or flower arrangement sent to the new room would have been a nice touch but even that isn't required.

bottom line you paid for a room, you got a room. When you made it clear that you couldn't stay in that room they moved you. Not sure why you would think there should be some compensation?

I never heard of anybody being compensated for a bad shore excursion, except for money back for that excursion. They certainly don't get a free cruise, free bar bill, or anything else. You forget that you are on a ship. Ships move while you are sleeping, hence, the noises you will hear. As far as you child being kept awake, that's that danger of taking a child out of their comfort zone for travel.

You should get nothing and hopefully will go back to land vacations where you can be assured there will be no noise when you're sleeping. Everybody wants something for nothing. I'm sick of it.

I was wondering if they did hear it or if they just gave them another room as a courtesy?

no idea....either way they (the cruiseline) fufilled their obligation to a paying customer.

I think frequently people hear about perks someone got for something...maybe something happened that was pretty bad or maybe it didn't seem as bad and well darn it what happened to them was just as bad so don't they deserve something too... I get tired of the entitlement attitude of many people in this day and age (NOT stating that the OP has this attitude since it sounds like she is simply curious on people's opinions).

Unfortunately, many people forget that cruise lines (or hotels and resorts) are businesses. They are there to turn a profit. If they start comping or giving coupons to everyone for every minor inconvenience they would quickly go out of business. There are many people out there who take advantage of the system and try to milk a situation for all it's worth and see what they can get out of it. In my line of work I work directly with numerous hotels and have heard all sorts of horror stories of people who are dishonest and out just trying to get a freebie. (Again not saying this poster or anyone on this board...just a general statement)

*hope that's enough of a disclaimer so I don't get flamed.... ;)

no idea....either way they (the cruiseline) fufilled their obligation to a paying customer.

There are many people out there who take advantage of the system and try to milk a situation for all it's worth and see what they can get out of it. (Again not saying this poster or anyone on this board...just a general statement)

*hope that's enough of a disclaimer so I don't get flamed.... ;)

LOL.......have my fingers crossed for you......:)

btw........I agree!

On a trip upstate one year we were bothered by the nose of a disco in the hotel. At 2 am they agreed to move us, so I sent my husband to the room, guess what he heard it there..so we stayed. They did all they we obligated to, they offerd to move us, as did RCI. At 4 am the disco closed so we finally went to sleep.

A similar thing happened last winter in Hawaii, at 4 am there was screaming and yelling ( we were on the 10th floor). My DH heard it ( I use earplugs now), turned out it was the hawaii marathon running in the streets ( they run it then becaue it gets to warm during the day). So noise happens:eek: , so I always carry earplugs now.:p And ships do creak as a matter of fact, I have heard it once in awhile, but I KNOW what it is so in go the earplugs, you live and learn!:rolleyes:

Our aft Navigator's balcony on the Disney Wonder was extremely creaky and was keeping me awake. My husband, former boyscout who is always prepared, handed me a pair of earplugs and a Tylenol PM. Slept like a babe after that. I expected nothing from the crew nor Disney Cruise lines.

I learned to always travel with earplugs and Tylenol PM - sure make the next day a bit brighter.

Archived