Hilo questions...

atlasali

Nani Mau if you do a search again on google use it as one word and y'll find the website.

Or click on this link http://www.nanimaugardens.com/

Having said that we were there the week of Jan 17th, we did a tour with Robert

(gorabbitgo) when we arrived we noticed that the name and sign had disappeared from the premise. This was our third visit to these gardens and when we went inside the restaurant was dismantled and the gift shop was gone, the grounds were a disgrace and the flower beds were full of dead plants leaves etc. The peacock bird cage which use to have male and female only had the female and the cage was fithly dirty and her drinking water was green with algae, the parrot cage was just as bad and the two parrots were hiding in there aluminum box and could barely be seen.

I left after being there for 15 minutes and confronted the woman at the front about the sdhape of the gardens and she tried to blame it on the rain. I told her that it was more like they were days away from closing/bankruptcy.

I then preceded back to the bus and had a discussion with the driver/guide while no one else was on the bus, he agreed with me and said that they were down to one gardener for the entire place and that he would take my concern back to the office.

Just yesterday I finally had time to call Roberts as I had three concerns about tours that we had done over a 20 day period using their land arm as well as their ship arm as we had done b2b cruises.

The bottom line was that I was concerned about nanimaugardens tarnishing Roberts reputation.

Needless to say this use to be a booming hot spot for the different tour companies but I'm told most have pulled out.

I also just checked tripadvisor and someone has posted that it was closed so don't waste your time. Here is the link to tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60583-d131370-Reviews-Nani_Mau_Gardens-Hilo_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

As for the lava ride your looking at you maybe wasting your money as the lava has not been flowing into the ocean and will be a hit and miss for you if you book it.

We had similar situation with a heli ride in 10/2010 where the lava had stopped for a day or two.

2--Has anyone done this? I would love to see the lava. http://www.kalapanalavaboat.com/page/406867580

My daughter and her husband took this trip - not sure if it was with this particular company - but thought it was great seeing the lava flow into the ocean. Interesting viewpoint as we took her up to the Island of Hawaii when she was young on several occasions.

As the company has a toll-free number, I would give them a call when you get to Hawaii and find out what the volcano is doing.

I live on the Island of Oahu and the last I heard, the lava was flowing into the ocean and was observable from the sea though I am not sure whether it was observable on land. The reason for this is that lava often travels through tubes (under the surface) until it reaches the sea.

One writer (Koholo) probably would know more as he lives on Hawaii Island.

As of today (and this could change tomorrow) I don't believe there is anything flowing into the ocean. Saw on the local news this mornng that there is lava flowing down through the tube system and this could result in an ocean entry at any time.

Here's the link for current volcano information:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php

It's impossible to predict in advance whether the lava will be flowing or not when you are there, so check the cancellation policy before you book the lavaboat tour. Also make sure they are Coast Guard certified - some tours are not.

There was an article in West Hawaii Today (on the Big Island) just several days ago about the ongoing renovation efforts at the Nani Mau hotel. Unfortunately the newspaper's website's archive is currently "undergoing reconstruction", so I can't provide a link. As I recall, it did sound like the owner was struggling but making a real effort to bring the place back up to its old standard. Part of the complex is closed, but apparently some sections have been renovated.

Archived