Completely frustrated with ES.

tammymacb

Well, you live and you learn. And I've learned my lesson. I won't ever book an ES again.

Now, to start off. I knew of the restrictions going in. But, I also know we'd be going on our cruise. We live in a relatively easy driving distance. It was my teen's first choice for her Spring Break trip.

So, I knew that it was the least flexible option, but I booked ES for the savings down the road.

So far.....not so impressed.

It started last November. When the Veteran's special ran and qualified military folks could book up to 3 rooms with one ID. My DH is fully retired ( with pension ) military. We qualified for the deal. But, because we booked an ES, it was not combinable. We got the discount for one of the three rooms we booked. The other two couldn't get the deal that was open to the public and cost me about $120 per room extra because we couldn't qualify for the price with the ES.

Yesterday, I got an email that my cruise is currently running a "pack and go" special. After getting the run around about whether ES qualified for that rate. ( I spoke to more than one Carnival rep ) I was told.."Yes, Early Savers do qualify, but since you're in an 8A balcony, you can't change to the pack and go rate, because it's a guarantee room and that's a down grade. If you want the pack and go rate you need to book a suite guarantee." Apparently I could upgrade my other two rooms from insides to OV guarantee's but who knows where they would have ended up, so I knew I wouldn't do that because I didn't want my teen DD on another deck. We currently have a balcony and inside across the hall, and I put my parents inside beside my DD.

So, the conversation went on and on and on...with the PVP putting me on hold to speak with a "resolutions person". All he kept reiterating was that if I wanted the price, I had to upgrade to the suite. Finally, I told the PVP, "Listen, I don't want to separate my family. I doubt very much that I'll take a guarantee suite, but let me talk with my DH about it. What is the price for the guarantee suite? Back on hold. He comes back 3 minutes later. "They're not available." :rolleyes: Really?

So, I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with you and you're trying to sell me a category room, you don't even have to sell?

Wow.

Anyway. I have our rooms, and I'm happy with them. I'm not, however, happy that I actually paid more money and lost all flexibility BECAUSE I booked an ES rate.

You live and you learn. But, I'll never do that again.

Each booking type, whether ES, Past guest, etc will have its good and bad.

The way I look at it, if I was happy with the price I got I am not going to stress out if I can't get it for less for some reason. It is always nice to save money, but EVERY special is going to have a restriction and to match this to that to save this or that is just not worth it to me.

As long as my cruise can't go up, I am fine with that. If I book ES and I can get some OBC that is great, but it never seems to happen to me.

I believe if you have cruised enough, do your research, and are familiar with ship locations, and you are 99% sure you will go on the cruise, ES is great. We saved $500 on our last one, and have seen one price drop on another booking, which gave us $112 credit. The way I see it, the worst that could happen is a $50 service fee each, if we have to rebook. I think if you really understand the program, it can be of benefit.

Each booking type, whether ES, Past guest, etc will have its good and bad.

The way I look at it, if I was happy with the price I got I am not going to stress out if I can't get it for less for some reason. It is always nice to save money, but EVERY special is going to have a restriction and to match this to that to save this or that is just not worth it to me.

As long as my cruise can't go up, I am fine with that. If I book ES and I can get some OBC that is great, but it never seems to happen to me.

Totally agree....

I booked using Early Saver in the beginning of January. I can't believe how much our category has gone up in one month. I am very happy with it just for the savings alone, but I did book it knowing I couldn't change the date. I'm not expecting any onboard credit.

OP surely you read going in that you cant downgrade. I dont get why people book ES and then complain they cant downgrade (even if to a guarantee).

No downgrading, no name changes, etc.. its in the rules you said you understood and now are arguing about.

I also dont like ES, after my sister got married and cancelled as 2nd pax and I had other people who would have liked to go in her place.

.. but the rules state no name changes. ES is restrictive .. cant have you cake and eat it too.

I believe if you have cruised enough, do your research, and are familiar with ship locations, and you are 99% sure you will go on the cruise, ES is great. We saved $500 on our last one, and have seen one price drop on another booking, which gave us $112 credit. The way I see it, the worst that could happen is a $50 service fee each, if we have to rebook. I think if you really understand the program, it can be of benefit.

People always think its great ... until they themselves run into the first problem because of it.

I can see why the OP is frustrated, they guessed wrong when they booked it and military would have been better. I think which rate to use is a roll of the dice.. sometimes you win .. and sometimes you dont. I have not won every time either.

ES can really suck. Late booking has a lot to recommend it.

OP surely you read going in that you cant downgrade. I dont get why people book ES and then complain they cant downgrade (even if to a guarantee).

No downgrading, no name changes, etc.. its in the rules you said you understood and now are arguing about.

I also dont like ES, after my sister got married and cancelled as 2nd pax and I had other people who would have liked to go in her place.

.. but the rules state no name changes. ES is restrictive .. cant have you cake and eat it too.

I'm sorry. I never said I wanted to downgrade. I asked for the suite price guarantee that the PVP rambled about only to be told that there wasn't one.

I'm not asking for anything other than to be guaranteed the best rate. Which I don't have ONLY because I booked an ES.

You really shouldn't need to spend any time running around to do this. Sure there are a lot of rules and exceptions but all you need to do is if you find a better rate, fill out the online form and send it in. They will either look favorable upon it and give you are credit or it won't qualify. I love ES and plan to always use it since I feel in the long run it will provide the best deal. I don't feel the military discount is the right choice for me even though I am an Air Force retiree. In the end, it is up to you to decide which plan works best and suits your needs. :)

You really shouldn't need to spend any time running around to do this. Sure there are a lot of rules and exceptions but all you need to do is if you find a better rate, fill out the online form and send it in. They will either look favorable upon it and give you are credit or it won't qualify. I love ES and plan to always use it since I feel in the long run it will provide the best deal. I don't feel the military discount is the right choice for me even though I am an Air Force retiree. In the end, it is up to you to decide which plan works best and suits your needs. :)

I would add here, like on another thread. .. it clearly states FOR YOUR CATEGORY

OK so there are no suite gtys.. you could have looked online too. I understand you wanted a upgrade and it was unavailable. You called and asked the rules, they gave them, only upward, so then you said, ok what is the price.. and there was not a suite gty (rarely on pack n goes have I seen them to be honest).

Tammy I went to look .. and there is not even a column for suite gtys. I dont think there ever is a pack n go for suites.

https://www.goccl.com/content/specials/documents/PKGO.pdf

this is what it looks like on the TA Carnival site .. no suite gtys... never seen them. Not that there is some rule there could not be one .. but no column for them, never seen one.

ES isn't for everyone.
Bingo. That's really all that needs to be said.

If you can lock in your dates and live with the restrictions, it works for you. If not, then you are definitely better off with another rate plan. But whatever you do, please read and understand the rules going in.

Tammy I went to look .. and there is not even a column for suite gtys. I dont think there ever is a pack n go for suites.

https://www.goccl.com/content/specials/documents/PKGO.pdf

this is what it looks like on the TA Carnival site .. no suite gtys... never seen them. Not that there is some rule there could not be one .. but no column for them, never seen one.

I didn't ask for a suite gty. I *did* miss that the pack and go was a gty booking, so when I called to ask if I was able to get the pack and go fares, I was told by the PVP that I couldn't go from my 8A to a gty balcony but I could go from an 8A to a suite gty. HE was the one who kept telling me it was the only way I could get the fare, all the while going back and forth with solutions and keeping me on hold.

The only reason that I asked what the rate was, was because the Carnival PVP kept suggesting it. And so when I finally bit, and asked for a rate to discuss it with my husband, it didn't exist.

So why did we have that conversation in the first place?

I will say it again, *for me* the ES is a crock. I'm paying much more that I would have paid had I used the military special in Nov, and the military rates are still more than $100 less now than I'm currently paying.

Would I tie up my money for good to pay more for something I could have gotten for less? No.

Did the PVP have any freakin' clue what he was talking to me about yesterday? I don't think so.

Well, If you hadn't booked ES you wouldn't have qualified for a price drop after final payment AT ALL, so either way you wouldn't have gotten anything. It has to be a price drop for your category.

But I'd still be paying more than $100 less per cabin, because I was eligible for the military rate.

I will say it again, *for me* the ES is a crock. I'm paying much more that I would have paid had I used the military special in Nov, and the military rates are still more than $100 less now than I'm currently paying.

Wait..... so Nov is when you booked.

The military rate was $100 less then.

But you booked ES which was $100 more (HOPING you'd get a price drop in the future)?

I would never bank on that. Why not just book the lower rate in the first place?

I booked way out. More than a year from Spring break. I was already booked when the special came out for Veteran's Month ( Nov ) and could have gotten the 3 cabin total deal. But, because I was ES, I wasn't allowed to book the Military rate, and no other rates have even come close to the military deal.

Believe me, if I hadn't booked so early, I would have booked the 3 rooms in November and never looked back.

I didn't ask for a suite gty. I *did* miss that the pack and go was a gty booking, so when I called to ask if I was able to get the pack and go fares, I was told by the PVP that I couldn't go from my 8A to a gty balcony but I could go from an 8A to a suite gty. HE was the one who kept telling me it was the only way I could get the fare, all the while going back and forth with solutions and keeping me on hold.

The only reason that I asked what the rate was, was because the Carnival PVP kept suggesting it. And so when I finally bit, and asked for a rate to discuss it with my husband, it didn't exist.

So why did we have that conversation in the first place?

Would I tie up my money for good to pay more for something I could have gotten for less? No.

Did the PVP have any freakin' clue what he was talking to me about yesterday? I don't think so.

I'm confused or did I miss something. If the miltary rate is $100 less now then what you paid and you qualify for it, why aren't you getting the $100 OBC?

Archived