Best Rome alternative sites to see? conflicted

ifoundabuddy

I will be cruising the Western Mediterranean. I have a port day in Civitavecchia and have decided i don't want to go into Rome, since i was there for a week this past October, but i want to see some of the other cities around Civitavecchia instead this time around. I am considering an organized tour, but i have very mixed feelings about where to go.

There is a part of me saying i don't know much about the Etruscan civilization and am intrigued to do something like Tarquinia, Ceri, and Cerveteri. Then it seems like Orvieto is a for sure not to miss, or perhap Civita di Bagnoregio which are often combined together. Was Tuscania destroyed too much in the earthquake to make it appealing. Or visit some of the lake area. Or are there other places that would be even better?

Should i go for historical or picturesque? Or some combination of the above.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Ron

I will be cruising the Western Mediterranean. I have a port day in Civitavecchia and have decided i don't want to go into Rome, since i was there for a week this past October, but i want to see some of the other cities around Civitavecchia instead this time around. I am considering an organized tour, but i have very mixed feelings about where to go.

There is a part of me saying i don't know much about the Etruscan civilization and am intrigued to do something like Tarquinia, Ceri, and Cerveteri. Then it seems like Orvieto is a for sure not to miss, or perhap Civita di Bagnoregio which are often combined together. Was Tuscania destroyed too much in the earthquake to make it appealing. Or visit some of the lake area. Or are there other places that would be even better?

Should i go for historical or picturesque? Or some combination of the above.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron - We also had time to put in on a stop in Civitavecchia, having been to Rome recently as well.

We took a ship's tour to Tarquinia and enjoyed it very much along with the local museum that contained additional Etruscan information. It probably wouldn't be exciting enough for everyone but we were pleased to have made the visit there.

Linda.

• 4 weeks later...

Precruise, while staying in Civitavecchia, we did a day tour to Orvieto and Civit di Bagnoreigio.

Orvieto has a great cathedral and nice shops etc.We took a tour of the underground tunnels and caves underneath the city. it was fascinating.Drove from there though the lovely countryside to Civita di Bagnoregio. This small town crumbling down the pinnacle it is built upon is truly unique. Had a typical italian lunch with fine local wines and then back to the port city. It was a great day.

We are going to try the local bus to Tarqueria. It is about 30 mins away. About 3euros pp.There is some very good info. Just type in Tarqueria on seach this forum.

Ontario Cruiser

Ruby Princess TA April 22 2012

Just a slight correction -- the name of the town is Tarquinia. I wouldn't have posted but it might be frustrating to others trying to search for the information. :)

My "vote" would also be for Lake Bracciano and the Orsini Castle. We had booked a car with Europcar and arrived at Bracciano just in time for the (Italian language only) tour of the castle. While we probably didn't understand more than a dozen words during the 45 minute or so tour, I had Wikipedia on my phone and read enough about the castle while the tour was going on to make it informative.

Archived