so happy we cruise in 18days but scared to fly!!!

melika091900

Melika,

I am in your same boat, I hate to fly. I dont know if I can post this, but this site helps me before all my flights.

http://www.fearofflying.com

I just think to myself, planes go up, then they land. Good luck to you!

Didn't this use to be free?

ETA: Never mind, this is the one I used:

www.fearofflyinghelp.com

Doctors know that fear of flying is very common so its pretty easy to get them to write for some Valium.

For a no drug solution, try reading a trashy romance novel on the airplane. The sleazier the better! My daughter and I both do this and before you know it, the trip is over.

My mother has been afraid of flying her whole life, so she takes a xanax. Otherwise my siblings in Seattle would never see her.

Don't underestimate the powerful effect of pregnancy hormones. What you are experiencing is very natural but you don't have to let it restrict you. THere are lots of coping strategies out there. It will all work out just fine.

I hope you enjoy your vacation and congrats on your pregnancy!

I'm an old dude and I remember how very cautious and some what worried about safety my wife became when she was pregnant - after all you are not just concerned about yourself anymore.

You will be fine, of course, and you are quite normal for feeling this way.

thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions :O)

we fly in 12 days, i just keep telling myself I will never see the places I want to see if I dont fly.. :O)

so im hoping i can do reverse psychology... :O)

thank you all again

i wish i could take some calming med, but not sure since im pregnant

Ask your doctor if it would be safe for you to take the herb Valerian Root? It is a calms, relaxes you, and also helps you to sleep.

Another is Melatonin which is a substance our body makes that helps us to rest that you can find in healthfood stores, or health food/vitamin areas in stores like Walmart. Just be sure to get your Dr's. okay.

Remember as I remind myself, Princess Diana flew all over the world and probably flew every week of her life once she was Princess of Wales. She died in a car accident. I have 3 relatives who died in a car accident, and also quite a few friends in my 57 years, but I have never known anyone personally that died in a plane crash.

My husband used to work for Delta. He told me Delta alone has 4000 planes in the air everyday and has not had a cash since the late 80's.

I know thousands of planes fly everyday and you rarely hear of a crash in fact I don't think I've heard of one for a couple of years. But my own obsessive thinking pattern gets me saying "what if my plane is the one meant to crash for the first in 2-3 years)? I mean it's bound to happen to someone's plane. I hate thinking this way but I can't help it. And the fear of crashing is actually low on the totum pole - what I hate the most is long flights - longer than 3 hours. I hate being cooped up all that time, trying to find something to do (can't get on internet or do other things like I do at home), in a plane full of germ ridden people.

For the record I don't like long car rides either and try to avoid whenever possible. But at least I can make stops here and there and be able to do things when I want in a car.

I know thousands of planes fly everyday and you rarely hear of a crash in fact I don't think I've heard of one for a couple of years. But my own obsessive thinking pattern gets me saying "what if my plane is the one meant to crash for the first in 2-3 years)? I mean it's bound to happen to someone's plane. I hate thinking this way but I can't help it. And the fear of crashing is actually low on the totum pole - what I hate the most is long flights - longer than 3 hours. I hate being cooped up all that time, trying to find something to do (can't get on internet or do other things like I do at home), in a plane full of germ ridden people.

For the record I don't like long car rides either and try to avoid whenever possible. But at least I can make stops here and there and be able to do things when I want in a car.

I don't like flying period, and the longer flights are even worse because of lack of legroom. Still to get to Europe-well-that is too far to swim. So I will be flying in June. Taking something to calm you will help-because what you are doing is obsessing, I understand, because I do that myself. Unfortunately, your being pregnant, most things we can take are out.

BTW, it could be the pregnancy hormones playing havoc with your emotions. I'm that way anyway-but pregnancy hormones can really do some whammies on women.

I like 'Love Scotland's' idea of counting. It makes me think of the Lamaze birthing method and the focus points they teach you to help you deal with delivery pain. A mind trick, if your mind is focused elsewhere, you can't feel the pain as badly.

Archived