so happy we cruise in 18days but scared to fly!!!

melika091900

I know i sound ridiculous, and i have flown over 5 times before ,. but its making me so nervous!! we cruise in 18 days have to fly to texas ( 3 hr flight) and im so freaking out,!! can someone please remind me how safe it is to fly.....

plus im pregnant so maybe thats making it worse for me,

anyone else go through this ?

Will someone giving the statistics about the safety of flying versus driving really help you feel less nervous? As with all statistics, the numbers below on their own are somewhat meaningless, as you have to compare the total number of people traveling, and the distance traveled along with the number of fatalities to be able to formulate any kind of meaningful conclusion.

Listed are the fatality rates for different types of transportation in 2000 (USA):

Highway: 41800

Air Carriers: 185

Aviation (GA): 592

Marine: 801

Railroads: 770

Other: 38

Those air fatalities listed are from private planes! It is rare to have a major carrier fatality. Don't stress. It's just the normal travel anxiety, heightened by the fact that you are pregnant and hard wired to be on guard for dangers to the baby. Flying is easy and there are thousands of people in the sky as we speak;).

Those air fatalities listed are from private planes! It is rare to have a major carrier fatality..

The category "Air Carriers" is from major airlines, not from private planes.

OP - Last year, U.S. carriers flew more than 10 million flights and hauled more than 700 million passengers, but only 14 people suffered serious injuries, according to the NTSB. There also were no major accidents, the most serious category under the NTSB's definitions.

OP - Last year, U.S. carriers flew more than 10 million flights and hauled more than 700 million passengers, but only 14 people suffered serious injuries, according to the NTSB.

Ok, now think: If there were 700 million people, and 14 were chosen to receive a million dollars, would you ever be one of the 14 chosen?

I used to be nervous about flying, but after one overseas flight to Germany, I am fine now. What used to help me was to hold a St. Christopher medal in my hand for the entire flight. (And I am not even Catholic!! but my husbands' family are.) Just having the patron saint of travel in my hand made me feel more secure.

I also learned that if the crew are going about their normal duties - serving drinks or snack, or even just sitting and chatting in the crew jump seats - then that meant that there was nothing to worry about. Needless worry about something that 'might' happen is pointless and stressful to your body - especially your pregnant body. So sit back, try to relax, and let the crew take care of business.

I know i sound ridiculous, and i have flown over 5 times before ,. but its making me so nervous!! we cruise in 18 days have to fly to texas ( 3 hr flight) and im so freaking out,!! can someone please remind me how safe it is to fly.....

plus im pregnant so maybe thats making it worse for me,

anyone else go through this ?

Just remember that the MOST dangerous part of flying is the car ride to the airport. That static has been quoted on many occasions. I work for the FAA and I know that the US Air Traffic system is the safest in the world. So Relax and enjoy your flight, bring an Ipod, or a good book, sit back and enjoy.

Zippy

I've been on well over 300 flights, and I'm still alive to talk about it! :D

Sorry, I wish there was something I could say to put you at ease. Fear of flying is something to which I cannot relate, because I love flying. When I was younger, I actually had a hard time getting to sleep the night before an airline flight, because I was so excited. Even now that it's become much more "routine," I still look forward to it. (Well, except for the TSA shenanigans, but that's a rant for another time.) The worst thing that's ever happened to me is that a couple of my flights were cancelled, and I had to be rerouted onto other flights.

Maybe it would help to think of it this way: can you imagine having to drive from California to Texas? It would take something like three DAYS, and aside from crossing the mountains, it would be pretty boring, no? Much better to just sit and read a book for three HOURS, and then you're there.

Melika

I grew up flying. I am a pilot and i am the daughter of a retired airline pilot as well as the sister of two airline pilots. I have flown all over the world and I know this much for sure. Nothing any of us say is really going to help if you dont let it.

Flying is safe and it can be alot of fun. While the plane is still on the ground, look around and see all the other planes taxing. Where are they going? Are the people on their vacation or on business? Are they going to see some exotic place? Play games with yourself.... Day dream

Other ideas (some mentioned above) If you enjoy cards, grab a deck from the house and play cards. Take your computer and play games. Get out the ipod and listen to the music that relaxes you the most.

You can do this. You will be ok. Sit back and enjoy the ride

I dont think you are being ridiculous, i totally sympathise. In fact I actually went 20 years without flying at all due to my fears. What got me flying again was my husband's insistence that we take a vacation lol. We then went to Europe and I was on 5 different flights in 6 days, and ever since then I have been OK about it. We now fly at least 3 or 4 times a year for vacations and such and my fear is pretty much gone. Before you go, visit one of the fear of flying websites available, I have found them very helpful.

The most dangerous part of an airplane trip is: Driving to and from the airport.

Speaking of which...Getting from Houston to Galveston takes a while. You need to plan it now if you have not done so.

Enjoy the Mariner OTS.

yeah we booked a car service..:O)

Melika

I grew up flying. I am a pilot and i am the daughter of a retired airline pilot as well as the sister of two airline pilots. I have flown all over the world and I know this much for sure. Nothing any of us say is really going to help if you dont let it.

Flying is safe and it can be alot of fun. While the plane is still on the ground, look around and see all the other planes taxing. Where are they going? Are the people on their vacation or on business? Are they going to see some exotic place? Play games with yourself.... Day dream

Other ideas (some mentioned above) If you enjoy cards, grab a deck from the house and play cards. Take your computer and play games. Get out the ipod and listen to the music that relaxes you the most.

You can do this. You will be ok. Sit back and enjoy the ride

thank you.... :O)

First of all, I totally get it. I am terrified of flying even though I also truly love it and want a window seat.

The fear is irrational, and while we know the statistics about safety and all of that, there's a point at which that knowledge doesn't help even though we intellectually know they're all true.

I was going to suggest that you take something to help you relax - a stiff drink prior to boarding, dramamine or benedryl, but with your being pregnant, that's probably not a good idea.

Here's what I do, and it's my thing only, but it works for me. Since my greatest fear is during take off, I count to 200. I read somewhere ages ago that most crashes on take off occur within the first two minutes. I figure I count fast which is why I count to 200 rather than 120. Then I open my eyes, look out the window and start to relax.

What I've also learned through the years is that the counting occupies my mind counteracting the fear. You could do any kind of mind exercise - solve a math problem, redecorate a room, etc. and it would probably do the same thing.

Anyway, that's what works for me - and yes, a glass of wine or maybe two once in the air! :D

There are many people who are afraid of flying. I won't repeat what some other people said about statistics and the fear of flying because I honestly cannot write all that eloquently and it would be a bit redundant. Now I see people who are afraid of flying all the time. Here a couple things that you can do to occupy your time and have helped some people get over their fear easier:

1. Visit the cockpit: I've had a few people come into the cockpit while boarding and mention how surprised they were that these visits weren't prohibited. While trips to the cockpit inflight are prohibited, pilots still have the time for a five minute tour while at the gate if you're interested. If nothing else, it might be nice to know who you're trusting with your life. Let them know that you are afraid of flying and see if they can offer you any tips. Ask them how they think the flight will be (smooth or a few bumps). It will let you know what to expect. And you might even learn something.

2. Count down the flight time: Most flight attendants will announce the flight time for your flight before you leave. Whenever you hear this, set your watch or phone's countdown function (Only in airplane mode though) with that time and be sure to start the timer just as you lift off the ground. You'll be surprised how often the timer finishes just as you're touching down at your destination.

Either way, have fun and you'll have a great time.

There are many people who are afraid of flying. I won't repeat what some other people said about statistics and the fear of flying because I honestly cannot write all that eloquently and it would be a bit redundant. Now I see people who are afraid of flying all the time. Here a couple things that you can do to occupy your time and have helped some people get over their fear easier:

1. Visit the cockpit: I've had a few people come into the cockpit while boarding and mention how surprised they were that these visits weren't prohibited. While trips to the cockpit inflight are prohibited, pilots still have the time for a five minute tour while at the gate if you're interested. If nothing else, it might be nice to know who you're trusting with your life. Let them know that you are afraid of flying and see if they can offer you any tips. Ask them how they think the flight will be (smooth or a few bumps). It will let you know what to expect. And you might even learn something.

2. Count down the flight time: Most flight attendants will announce the flight time for your flight before you leave. Whenever you hear this, set your watch or phone's countdown function (Only in airplane mode though) with that time and be sure to start the timer just as you lift off the ground. You'll be surprised how often the timer finishes just as you're touching down at your destination.

Either way, have fun and you'll have a great time.

thank you!! a cockpit tour would be nice and meeting the pilot might put my mind at ease.i will surely ask about it..

thank you again

I SO know how you feel. I am planning either a cruise or land vacation in April and I'm terrified of the flight. I haven't flown in about 15 years and this is probably why I'm scared as people who fly more often are use to it. I don't mind shorter flights as much (3 or less hours) so that's good in your case.

I used to have a real issue with flying. I would be nervous for days and days before (my tummy gets the most nervous) a trip and have real panic attacks on take off and if there was even slight turbulence. After 7 years avoiding planes, a special vacation motivated me to deal with it. You don't have time to do this now, but I saw a therapist whose specialty was phobias (he said flying was most common among his clients). We used bio feedback, hypnosis... and a little medication as needed. I still don't enjoy flying, but I can do it and don't avoid it.

Here's one thing I do that may work for you: this is oversimplifying, but planes do on air what ships do on water. It's not that different. There may be choppy seas or smooth sailing, but I never worry a ship will sink. Now I visualize my plane being on water and feel the movement as if it was the sea below me. Try it - it's the perfect exercise as you travel to your cruise!

I used to love to fly and then a few years back I started getting really scared to fly. I don't know why it happened. Very weird. It hasn't gone away yet but I just think about the thousands and thousands of flights happening every day and how rare we hear about airline crashes. That helps me. Plus, I think about the fact that being nervous to fly can really shrink one's possibility to see and do fun things outside of their area. But, if I'm having a really nervous time which did happen to me last summer flying back from Wisconsin, I stop in the bar at the airport and have myself a martini.:D Not that I advocate that be the standard practice for flying. :D:D

I also am afraid to fly. We don't do much of it, but when we do I always read Flying Without Fear by Duane Brown, Ph.D. and it helps tremendously. I also make sure we are one of the first on so I can get the seat right behind the emergency door over the wing. I've found there is more leg room there and I don't feel as claustrophobic. We take a laptop so I can watch a movie. Keeps the mind occupied for 2 hours, by then you will be getting ready to land.

I spent too many years being afraid of flying and not going to places we really wanted to go. I refuse to let my fear rule my life.

Archived