Cruise Clothes shopping in FLL

akruz

We have 3 days in Fort Lauderdale, and I am still in recovery from surgery. We leave on Apr 7 for our 14 day cruise. I was hoping I could spend a half day shopping in FLL. the other days I want to use water taxi and see the sights surrounding the water taxi. Can you suggest a place that sells sundresses, nice pant suit for formal night, etc. We will have no car so will have to taxi.

If I am in the wrong section I will post elsewhere, please advise.

thank you

Dillard's at Galleria Mall by Los Olas. This is a nice mall and you surely can find cruise clothes in varying price ranges somewhere in the mall. Start at Dillard's and maybe you'll be lucky to hit one of their good sales.

You don't say area where your hotel is but Los Olas is only a ten or so minute taxi ride (depending upon traffic) from Port Everglades area.

Hope you are recovering well.

Have a great cruise.

We are staying on 17th street and the hotel is a fairly short walk to water taxi. what about the trolley........where can I find schedule for mall.

thanks

We always stay at Hyatt Pier 66 on 17th Street Causeway which is directly across from Port Everglades. There is a water taxi stop at Hyatt's Marina and they will drop you very close to Galleria. Tell them you want to get off there. It seemed odd to us but everyone does this...... the water taxi has made arrangements for their customers to pass through a lobby of building right where it docks and you walk through there to the street and you are at Galleria Mall. Very convenient.

What kind of mall schedule do you want? :confused: Hours?

Just google and they'll tell you opening hours.

When you get off the water taxi, ask times for return rides.

I second Dillards at the Galleria Mall. We love to take the water taxi up to the mall in the morning. In addition to Dillards there is a Coach Store and Ann Taylor in the mall. We make a point of going to FLL for three nights to allow for a day to rest and a day at the Galleria Mall.

Florida also has some great factory outlets, so you may want to look into that as well. I love going to the factory outlets at St. Augustine on my way to Port Canaveral.

That's a fair distance from FLL.

If one wants outlet shopping, there is the HUGE Sawgrass Mills that is about 30 minutes (depending upon traffic) from Hyatt Pier 66. There is no way one can do that whole mall in one day it is so large.

We just returned from FLL on Feb 6th. As mentioned the Galleria is a good start. There is a Dillards and a Macys among other stores. I think it is actually on Sunrise Blvd, but that won't matter if you are not driving.

There are a number of small shops on Las Olas Blvd. We ate at restaurants on that street a number of times. I did not go into the shops so I'm not sure about prices.

Sawgrass Mills is quite a drive in my opinion. It is a huge outlet mall and I was exhausted after four hours. We got some great deals compared to retail prices. I'm not sure about Sawgrass Mills, but here in the DC area I know there are buses that take people from downtown to our Mills mall, Potomac Mills.

We have 3 days in Fort Lauderdale, and I am still in recovery from surgery. We leave on Apr 7 for our 14 day cruise. I was hoping I could spend a half day shopping in FLL. the other days I want to use water taxi and see the sights surrounding the water taxi. Can you suggest a place that sells sundresses, nice pant suit for formal night, etc. We will have no car so will have to taxi.

If I am in the wrong section I will post elsewhere, please advise.

thank you

Which ship are you sailing? We sail April 7 for 14 nights from FtL on Celebrity Constellation. If this is your cruise please be certain to check our our roll call as there are lots of fun cruisers posting.

Which ship are you sailing? We sail April 7 for 14 nights from FtL on Celebrity Constellation. If this is your cruise please be certain to check our our roll call as there are lots of fun cruisers posting.

Yes we are on the same ship!

I was excited about this cruise in the beginning as I go thru the planning I feel I should have done a week or 2 week land pkg as it would have been alot cheaper!!!! It was to be a celebration and it has become a burdening task finding air, prepost hotel, and now clothes. I see how many cruises so many of you have gone and marvel as you all have down pat. You even book a year in advance and know what you are doing,etc.

But the straw that broke it for me was how fancy and fashion conscience the people are that they send pictures of what they are going to wear dresses, shoes, etc and than find out an embarkation outfits (maxi dresses and nautical outfits). I find it awesome that people can plan that out so well. But I will look neat and tidy and dress as well as I can to hide my imperfect body. LOL what do you expect at sixtysomething. My dear knees are a dead give away.

Well now that I aired out my woes I guess I will shop for what I can wear back home and on this cruise at and at a price I can afford at all the wonderful places that have been advised to us. I think for my figure type I am best to try on in the store.

My last question is how dressed up do we have to be on the Constellation for at least one of the formal nights. For DH a nice jacket, shirt, dress pants and me a black knee length dress with comfortable shoes that will support my knees and if we attend another night we can use a different shirt, etc. I think I got some answers on another thread but did not specifically asked about the Constellation.

akruz.....

It's easy to see how it can seem overwhelming to a new cruiser.

Please take a word from a very experienced cruiser ( me - with over 80+ cruises)......

Wear WHATEVER you wish. If you like capri pants and a jersey for comfortable everyday wear, that is fine to board in, go to breakfast and lunch wearing and to go ashore in ports. Some of the ladies bring a different cocktail dress for every night and long dresses for formal nights, all with different shoes and handbags etc Good luck to them if they want to. I applaud their effort and they look lovely. But we don't all have to do that.

If you like black, get a 'little black dress' or something equivalent, some costume necklaces/earrings/bracelets.....whatever bling you like. Add a scarf one night, a shawl, a shrug...... You can wear that same black dress 2 -3 times and no one will care and doubtful many if any will even notice. No need to spend tons of effort and/or money.

Pick a hotel within your budget that suits your needs and it will be fine. Some of us come to the port early enough our hotel matters more as we are there three and more days. If you are only overnighting merely for peace of mind to not miss the ship, don't over stress about it.

Our first cruises, there was no internet and we knew only one couple who had ever cruised. Somehow we managed to get to Port Everglades, board the ship, find our cabin, unpack, get to Lido for lunch and have a great time. We packed what we packed and thankfully, what we had was fine. We had vacationed many times at Caribbean resorts so had a 'fair idea' what we'd need.

All the over information on the web may not necessarily be a good thing.

Almost nothing is left for the excitement of discovering for yourself.

Sometimes too much info is worse than none at all.

Relax. It's a vacation. Hopefully a GREAT vacation.

Once you board the ship, you'll find so much of what you read it merely 'overkill'.

The web site for the Galleria Mall is here: http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/shopping.php

You can look at a map of the mall and, if you click on the "Tourism" section, you can sign up for a coupon booklet that you pick up at the mall.

Information, including maps, ticket prices and schedules for the Ft. Lauderdale water taxi can be found here: http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

Sails7Seas, I am ever grateful for your honest down to earth answer and you do have the cruise experience.

Thanks for coupons and websites, etc. Just a big fat thank you for all who took time to answer me.

That's a fair distance from FLL.

If one wants outlet shopping, there is the HUGE Sawgrass Mills that is about 30 minutes (depending upon traffic) from Hyatt Pier 66. There is no way one can do that whole mall in one day it is so large.

Oh yes, wasn't trying to imply that they should go to St. Augustine. Just suggesting they look into where the nearest outlet malls would be, as Florida's tend to be pretty nice. Sorry if I confused anyone! :)

Archived