Pool Question?

Jaxsonbrownie

Actually, Disney is I believe one of the only cruiselines that have freshwater pools. They are not filtered seawater with less salt.

That's a lot of water to carry around, especially if they are drained a couple times a day for "accidents". They have a lot of seawater at their disposal for filtering.

Yes, Jaxson, I believe Princess does the same thing.

That's a lot of water to carry around, especially if they are drained a couple times a day for "accidents". They have a lot of seawater at their disposal for filtering.

While DCL has the means to carry water around, the water you drink, flush, shower in and swim in is desalinated ocean water. That is not the same thing as the filtered ocean water (which is just filtered and has chlorine added) that the other lines use in their pools. The Disney ships have a water desalinization plant on board that produces better than bottled quality water. In fact, if I remember correctly, DCL brings water to Castaway Cay and provides it for cooking, drinking etc., as well as for the small amount of staff that remain on the island. Last I heard, Castaway Cay didn't have its own fresh water supply, but I may be mistaken on that.

I understand that and I didn't want to get too technical. For the purposes of the pools and drinking, the water is sea water that has been sent through a advanced reverse osmosis filtration and purification system that allows it to be consumed and also does not feel or taste salty, but is still ocean water.

I apologize for using making it simplistic and stating that is just filtered seawater.

Close, she uses flash evaporation to make water.

In flash evaporation, sea water is heated at a very low pressure where it boils. The steam is condensed and thus you have fresh water. The process has few moving parts and uses waste heat from the engines so it's very economical. RO is more expensive and high maintenance.

So yes, it is sea water with most of the impurities left behind.

Archived