FCC - do you have to use the same travel agent it was assigned to when purchased?

kimmi5207

I bought a future cruise credit a couple of years ago on my last cruise. It was automatically assigned to the travel agent I used to book that cruise. The travel agent used to be with a major company (starting with all A's) but then branched out on her own. She is a small 1 woman agency, and is located in a different city. I used her for a few cruises after she left really just to give her the commission. I always did all my research myself and emailed her the exact details that I wanted, emailed if the price went down, etc. She's never provided me with any other information or prices other than what I found myself, and being a 1 person shop, there are no advantages for using her (like OBC or anything like that). I really was just trying to help her out.

Anyway, I really prefer to just go ahead and book my own cruise this time around. I'd rather just have the control to make all the changes myself, submit for price drops, etc and don't like the idea of not being able to call and talk to Carnival myself if there is a problem. Given some of the stories I've seen lately with people having delays getting price drop forms submitted, etc I really don't want the hassle. And with her being a 1 woman shop, when she goes on vacation, all you get is an "out of office" email response until she returns.

Since the FCC was assigned to her when I purchased it, do I have to redeem it with her agency? Or can I book my own cruise online or thru a PVP with Carnival, and redeem it? I know when I purchased the FCC, they sent her an email, and last year she emailed me a reminder that it was still available.

Thanks

Yes, I do have physical possession. It does have my name on it. It was delivered on the final night of my cruise and I keep it stored with my passport.

I believe it is automatically assigned to the travel agent you booked your cruise with, unless you elect for that not to be done. I didn't realize that at the time. Until she emailed me a copy of the letter she had been sent by Carnival (which encourages them to contact us to plan our next vacation and gives them the name, booking #, and I believe certificate #).

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Archived