Of these Baltic places, who will take credit cards?

As I continue to plan, I realize that I need to know who will and will not take a credit card. We plan to use our Capital One for all places that will take it but I know some probably won't, and therefore, will probably bring cash. Thanks for all of the great help I am getting on CC.

Here's my list -If you know which ones take a credit card or only Euros, please let me know. Do any take US dollars?

Tivoli Gardens

Rosenburg Castle in Copenhagen

Vasa Museum

Skansen admission

Taxi in Stockholm

KGB Museum in Tallinn (located in the Sokos Hotel Viru)

Kiek In De Kok tunnel tour in Tallinn

SPB Tour for Berlin

As I continue to plan, I realize that I need to know who will and will not take a credit card. We plan to use our Capital One for all places that will take it but I know some probably won't, and therefore, will probably bring cash. Thanks for all of the great help I am getting on CC. Here's my list -If you know which ones take a credit card or only Euros, please let me know. Do any take US dollars? Tivoli Gardens

Rosenburg Castle in Copenhagen; Vasa Museum; Skansen admission; Taxi in Stockholm; KGB Museum in Tallinn (located in the Sokos Hotel); Kiek In De Kok tunnel tour in Tallinn; SPB Tour for Berlin

As a quick generalization, most of these will take your credit card for payment. Very few, if any, will dollars (especially not at a decent exchange rate). Know for sure with Tivoli; key, larger museums; most taxi's in Copenhagen and Stockholm, etc., that credit cards will work well. That's what we've done in the past. On SPB tours for Berlin, check directly with them to be sure. Some tour companies might take dollars, but the rate of exchange become a question mark.

Much depends on your travel style of cabs versus public transit; sit-down dining places that are nice versus street-style, casual places. The first two on each of these examples are more likely to your credit card, while the later only will do the local currency.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,133 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 58,073 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Russia's largest cities credit cards are taken only at large commercial stores or chains. Rubles only the rest of the time. No taxis and few if any tourist sites. Your credit card company will charge a foreign exchange fee, 3% and up.

The govt. wants to collect their VAT from the store so dollars are Frowned upon.

Example, I bought a TV and Blueray player at M Video and paid with credit card and paid 3% fefee. Just get rubles for your dollars or euros at the street exchange kiosks. They post their exchange rates and are the lowest you will find. Skip the banks and ATMs who give the worst rates.

As I continue to plan, I realize that I need to know who will and will not take a credit card. We plan to use our Capital One for all places that will take it but I know some probably won't, and therefore, will probably bring cash. Thanks for all of the great help I am getting on CC.

Here's my list -If you know which ones take a credit card or only Euros, please let me know. Do any take US dollars?

Tivoli Gardens

Rosenburg Castle in Copenhagen

Vasa Museum

Skansen admission

Taxi in Stockholm

KGB Museum in Tallinn (located in the Sokos Hotel Viru)

Kiek In De Kok tunnel tour in Tallinn

SPB Tour for Berlin

I echo Terry in that Most venues WILL take your credit card. From all that you mentioned, we used a CC for entry into the Vasa Museum. From being on these boards for the past few years and reading what most others have to say, any of the major attractions will take a Credit Card. The type of card is what you need to worry about. Many places do not accept an AMEX card. If you are going to be using a Kiosk to purchase tickets for something, most in Europe use a card with a chip in it, something that the US hasn't really gotten around to using yet. But if you are dealing with real people, any CC should be OK.

Also, as was said, most CC charge a 3% foreign transaction fee. There are a few that do not, CapitalOne card being the most popular and easy to get.

As for the tours in St Petersberg. I would venture to say that all the tour companies take a CC, but you usually pay more with it. I know companies like SPB Tours give a discount for cash (or maybe just charge a bit more for using a CC). They have to pay a fee for accepting that card, so they just pass it along to you. It is usually a 3% fee also, but you will have to contact each company as to their procedures.

When we cruised, we went with the objective to charge just about everything and anything, from 2 euro items to large purchases. We did not want to carry a lot of cash,and that worked out very well for us. That said, we did pay cash for our St Petersberg tour.

Cheers

Len

Archived