Rogue Waves - Anyone Getting Nervous

fay54

Hi = We sail on the Grandeur of the Seas in June and I am getting a little wrried about these darn rogue waves. This will be our sixth cruise and have never had any problems except a little rough water now and then, but this is 3 this year. Hope it is not becoming more frequent. Might be safer to just fly. I do love cruising so much though.

I am sailing in a couple weeks and have no concerns at all...No doubt that it was scary, and I would be scared as well if it happened to me, but there are risks to everything we do....Gotta live each day to its fullest!!!

have a great trip, and I'll hope for smooth sailing for ya!

The thought of a rogue wave does scare me :( I look at it this way: I can't let the "possibility" of something happening destroy the anticipation and excitement of planning and then going on a cruise. If we worry about everything that "might" or "could" happen, half of us would never leave our house!

If we spent our lives worrying about what "might" happen, then none of us would leave the house...

Unless of course, you live in Florida when you are constantly evacuating your house from July to October due to those other pesky weather occurances... :)

I may be wrong, as I'm not very knowledgable on all things RCI, but, doesn't the Grandeur sail strictly out of New Orleans? In that case the likelyhood of encountering a rouge Wave would be very slim. I believe they are typically encountered in the open ocean, i.e. Atlantic or Pacific. There have been 3 cruise ships hit by rouge waves this year, one in the Pacific and two in the Atlantic. I think it's less likely in the Gulf or the Carribean.

Reading all of the reports, it seems like one or two groups of people are making the Dawn incident much worse than actuality in order to have a better claim for compensation from NCL. Alot of talk about how recless the Capt. was for sailing into a storm (The fact is the storm was subsiding when the wave hit) and comparissons to the Titanic. One guy said he got off in Charleston and drove home to NJ as he "Didn't want to get back on the Titanic. Well, the Titanic was sailing in DEAD CALM water and ran right into a huge iceburg. The Dawn was in high seas (typical in that area of the Atlanitc) and only 4 people were slightly injured (minor cuts and bruises). With 2,400 + PAX and 1,800 + crew 4 injuries is fairly safe!

No worries at all!. Just strap me to me dining room chair and I can hold on to my plate!

All joking aside it is a bad thing that happened but thats life. You could be sitting in your house and get killed by a freak tornado. Glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt.

We were out in those waters (down by South Florida) and while we had rough sailing, we never encountered any rogue waves. Seems to me that it was a case of wrong place, wrong time. (NCL sure seems to be having more than its fair share of misfortune, lately.)

It sure isn't going to stop me from booking another cruise.

If we spent our lives worrying about what "might" happen, then none of us would leave the house...

Totally agree. I can't tell you how many tornadoes have appeared suddenly in the sky and rocked and rolled life around me. Born and raised in Ohio and still live here even though I know when late spring and early summer weather comes I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature.

If we are afraid to cruie due to the rogue wave that hit the Dawn, then we could become afraid to come out of our own homes on a dark, cloudy day or fear flying on airplanes because ``something could go wrong'' or be afraid of the dark or become paranoid when a black cat crosses through our front yard.

Dianne

Always keep in mind the most dangerous place on earth is the bed.

Most people die in there.

Don´t worry too much about freak waves. It´s the same as with airplane crashs.

It´s much more likely that you get involved, hurt or killed in an car accident.

Exactly what I was thinking....let's see, on your way to the ship, will you be flying?? The plane might crash, better drive than. Wait! You may get into a car accident!! How bout taking the train? Takes longer, so you'll have to start a few days ahead of time, but WAIT, the train may hit something on the tracks, and de-rail!! Hmmm...okay, what other options do we have now?? Guess you could hitchhike, but that would be a potential car accident again, and who know's, you might get picked up by some psychopath and what could happen then??!! How about walking to the cruise ship? Depending on how far you are, you'd have to calculate how long it would take you. Darn, how about the possibility of somebody who's driving one of those darn cars hitting you while your walking. Geeezzzz......this sucks. Sounds to me like you better just stay home and look at the cruise you missed on webshots or some other cruise pics website. That might be the safest thing. OH MAN.....I just remembered, home is where most accidents happen. This is a real dilema!!

Guess we just shouldn't worry huh? Life's short enough as it is.

Happy cruising!! ;-))

MTS

I tell the cruising naysayers (too afraid to cruise because of ship sinking, etc.), if I'm going to die I'd rather have it happen while I was having fun than at work. Just knowing my last hours were spent enjoying myself is good enough for me. So, No, the fear of a "big wave" won't keep me from cruising any more than the occasional crash won't keep me from flying.

One needs to be prudent and understand we each are responsible for our own safety. Plan ahead for a "what if" for all family members is adviseable for any venue - there's only so much a hotel or cruise ship can do. That the Captain returned all cruisers back to dry land is a significant fact! Some folks just don't belong on the high seas - those of us that live to cruise understand. I've always thought a tiny flashlight and a whistle are two good tools one should always keep with them while traveling...imagine the theatre ..loss of power...loss of reduntant power... Been watching the TV, etc....people are focusing on the negative, rather than the positive! I'd love to have 50% off my next trip!!!:D

Although I have never seen a rogue wave, in some 36+ cruises, I have seen some very rough water.

I don't think we can "sweat out everything", nor would I worry about it too much.

Life is short enough - enjoy!

I have one thing to say. This should be a lesson to all of those cruisers who think Muster Call is just a waste of time. You never know.

On the ABC website 7online.com - some of the passengers were saying that the crew would not give them life jackets.

We have cruised many times and know that our life jackets are in the closets.

You can tell that those who said this probably never participated in a muster drill.

Archived