Getting around on our own

bbcruiser67

We are going to be in Georgetown, Grand Cayman in March off the Pearl. We are thinking of going out on our own for the day. Interested mostly in a beach day, but also a quick trip to Hell and maybe the turtle farm. How far are these places from each other? Can we hop around by bus? Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Hell is on the far side of the island....the main beach, 7 Mile Beach, is to the left of the tender dock (facing land).....it runs for several miles (although, not 7 as the name implies!!!) and is easy to get to via bus...$2.50 pp.

Taxis are avail. at the dock, too!

You can do it on your own. You can take a bus or taxi to all the places you mentioned. Easy to do on a day in Grand Cayman. All the attractions you mentioned aren't really far from each other. However, I would suggest if you decide to do a taxi you agree on a price before getting into the cab. I would Grand Cayman is probably one port I would feel absolutely fine using the bus system.

Cruised with Princess last year and felt that the price we paid for the 1/2 day excursion was a fair price for the tour. We rode in a small bus with great a/c, our guide pointed out many of the landmarks, stopped at 7 mile beach, Hell, Tortuga for some rum and rum cake sampling then the Turtle Farm and back to the pier. It was a nice pace with time to explore a bit on your own at each location, plenty of photo ops and were back in time to grab lunch in town or tender back to the ship.

We were just there last week. DH, myself and 2 DS..we talked to a local in a shop about the bus to Hell and she pointed out the mini-van type local busses that run pretty constantly. You need to get the ones that say WB for West Bay. Its 2.50 per person and you pretty much flag them down anywhere as there aren't really bus stops..a lot of them just honk at you and yell "going to the beach?" It was about a 15 minute ride from downtown to Hell, with various stops for people to get on/off. It was a pretty cool experience, locals and tourists. Hell itself doesn't have much other than the rock formations and the gift shop where you can mail your postcards. We then just walked out to the street again and flagged another minivan going back. We got dropped off at Calico Jack's, a beach bar on 7 Mile beach which is on the way back to the port. After some beach time and beers we caught another minivan back to the port for some more shopping. We probably could have walked the rest back into town but chose to do another bus. Its very easy to get around on your own on GC. For the 4 of us we spent 30 bucks on the bus on our own time.

We are going to be in Georgetown, Grand Cayman in March off the Pearl. We are thinking of going out on our own for the day. Interested mostly in a beach day, but also a quick trip to Hell and maybe the turtle farm. How far are these places from each other? Can we hop around by bus? Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

See my review for a complete description of the ease of the bus system and photos of Hell. Our bus stopped at 7 Mile Beach and Hell (which is on the other side of the island) and I'm sure it would have stopped at the Turtle Farm, but we didn't ask about the Turtle Farm. The drivers are very courteous and will point you the right way. The buses are really mini vans. Depending upon how long your ship is in port, you could probably do all three stops, but your time at the beach would be limited. Hell takes 30 minutes tops to see! We loved the buses and would not hesitate to use them again. I have lots of photos and description in the review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571654

Archived