Seattle Pier 91

sail7seas

Is this from where HAL sails? Is it a relatively smooth embarkation from there? If not that dock, which do they use?

Is it easy to get a taxi on disembarkation?

About how long a ride from dock to Pike Market?

Thanks.

Yes, Sail, it is indeed Pier 91. I do recall several taxi's pulling up out front, but we had booked with a shuttle company (Seattle Express or Shuttle Express, can't recall the name right now....) for $12 or $14 per person, which was very economical and easy. It would be a good idea to have a local cab number handy in the event there are none available when you disembark, then you could call when you are ready.

The ride from the pier to Pike Market would probably be about 15 minutes tops if traffic is light.

It's Shuttle Express out here. If you book online, you'll get a 10% discount. Have the phone # of the cab company on hand, we don't utilize alot of cabs in Seattle, though I'm sure there will be lots available at the pier.

I booked Already There car service to the pier from my hotel which was at the airport. The pier is not close to the airport and if you get stuck in traffic it could be the same price. I thought they were great and would use them again. I know others have also used othem here on CC.

We usually arrive there around 10:45AM, and boarding can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes from that point on. This past Aug. 5th, boarding was later than it had been on my previous three AK cruises. I think we waited in the terminal for about an hour. Usually we were boarding within 15 minutes of checking in.

Post-cruise:

In my experience, there is a long line of cabs waiting to pick up people (with no reservation) at the Seattle piers, so there is no need to call anyone. These are the "yellow cab" style, accept cash only, with a metered fare.

Now, the line to get a cab may be long (i.e. the process of loading people and luggage into the cars can take longer than the time between arrival of more people). Granted, I also tend to linger on board, so those that disembark early may have a different experience.

It also seemed like it was a shorter walk from customs to the taxi stand than to many of the scheduled bus/shuttle bus parking spots.

When driving from Pier 91 to Pike's Place I think you likely will drive past the HAL headquarters building. I think it will be on your left hand side. Look for the big anchor out front. :p

Pre-cruise

When being dropped off for boarding, it seemed like Seattle Pier 91 requires a bit more walking than either Boston or Port Everglades. Also, there seemed to be fewer porters (most people take their "checked" bags inside and drop them off at the scanner (for large bags) and then head back to the escalator for the ride up to security (scanner for hang luggage and magnetometer) and check-in).

The operation seemed orderly and the flow of people worked well.

If there are two ships at the pier, you need to make sure you are in the right line for your ship (they start out side-by-side), but if you take a moment to look, there are large signs to help you. Plus, if you know what your ship looks like, you will likely end up on the correct side. For me, I could tell the Oosterdam from the Sapphire Princess rather easily, so I just aimed for the line closer to the Oosterdam.

Is this from where HAL sails? Is it a relatively smooth embarkation from there? If not that dock, which do they use?

Thanks.

Judy, you must be looking forward to your Alaskan cruise on the Oosterdam! ;)

Plenty of taxes, it runs pretty smoothly. It does require more walking that many piers, but is manageable (and you drop off luggage before the walk).

Plenty if cabs as you disembark, too, and it's fast and pretty inexpensive from downtown. Probably 15-20 minutes - but Seattle traffic is hell (especially as they deconstruct the aqueduct) so it could take longer.

Word of caution: ALWAYS know the cab company/number of your specific cab. Last time in Seattle, we got out of the cab to get our luggage and the driver pulled out without ever opening the trunk. I literally had to chase him down running full speed for like 200 yards before he stopped.

He was on the phone of course, not paying attention at all.

Thanks.

This pier was the military pier 50 years ago and was takenover/remodeled several years ago -and it is a LOVELY embarcation area. The drive from mid-town/hotels etc -isn't all that long but it circles around the bay-area [ even THAT isn't unreasonable]

We lived in Seattle 1960-1961 [ and saw the Japanese fleet come into piers 91 and 92 for the first time since WWll that August during "Seafair days"] If you look at a map of that bay/downtown area you can see why it is SLIGHTLY complicated. But there is MUCH to see and do in a lovely city and the areas are NOT "that" far from that port.

We sailed OUT of there on Asia/Pac "grand" cruises [ 4 of them] and there were MORE than enough taxi's in both hotel areas AND port area..... Hope this helps.

Post-cruise:

In my experience, there is a long line of cabs waiting to pick up people (with no reservation) at the Seattle piers, so there is no need to call anyone. These are the "yellow cab" style, accept cash only, with a metered fare.

Now, the line to get a cab may be long (i.e. the process of loading people and luggage into the cars can take longer than the time between arrival of more people). Granted, I also tend to linger on board, so those that disembark early may have a different experience.

It also seemed like it was a shorter walk from customs to the taxi stand than to many of the scheduled bus/shuttle bus parking spots.

When driving from Pier 91 to Pike's Place I think you likely will drive past the HAL headquarters building. I think it will be on your left hand side. Look for the big anchor out front. :p

Pre-cruise

When being dropped off for boarding, it seemed like Seattle Pier 91 requires a bit more walking than either Boston or Port Everglades. Also, there seemed to be fewer porters (most people take their "checked" bags inside and drop them off at the scanner (for large bags) and then head back to the escalator for the ride up to security (scanner for hang luggage and magnetometer) and check-in).

The operation seemed orderly and the flow of people worked well.

If there are two ships at the pier, you need to make sure you are in the right line for your ship (they start out side-by-side), but if you take a moment to look, there are large signs to help you. Plus, if you know what your ship looks like, you will likely end up on the correct side. For me, I could tell the Oosterdam from the Sapphire Princess rather easily, so I just aimed for the line closer to the Oosterdam.

Plenty of taxes, it runs pretty smoothly. It does require more walking that many piers, but is manageable (and you drop off luggage before the walk).

Plenty if cabs as you disembark, too, and it's fast and pretty inexpensive from downtown. Probably 15-20 minutes - but Seattle traffic is hell (especially as they deconstruct the aqueduct) so it could take longer.

Word of caution: ALWAYS know the cab company/number of your specific cab. Last time in Seattle, we got out of the cab to get our luggage and the driver pulled out without ever opening the trunk. I literally had to chase him down running full speed for like 200 yards before he stopped.

He was on the phone of course, not paying attention at all.

GREAT help.

Thank you so much.

sppunk....... Oh my goodness. How awful you had to chase the taxi but good you caught him. :eek: Very good tip to know the taxi number.

I really appreciate all the help and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. With all our cruises, this one is 'new' to us and boarding in a city where we have never visited before. :)

Spend lots of money while you are here too!! Thanks :-)

Okay, I promise. We'll spend!!!!

DH booked our hotel Thursday and if that is any clue, seems he intends for us to have a REALLY good time in Seattle. :)

My personal rule (when I have stuff in the trunk of the taxi) is never get out of the car until the driver has gotten out to open the trunk. Another option is not paying the fare until you are both outside the car. It may be overkill at times, but it seems to work.

My personal rule (when I have stuff in the trunk of the taxi) is never get out of the car until the driver has gotten out to open the trunk. Another option is not paying the fare until you are both outside the car. It may be overkill at times, but it seems to work.

Good system.

DH does similar.

I am usually slow about getting my things together and getting out. He gets out and waits to pay the fare until either he or I have seen the trunk has been emptied by either the stevedore at the dock or the bellmen at the hotel. Then he pays and tips.

Hi Sail!

I was so surprised, but pleased to read that you and DH are at long last going to cruise to Alaska! Alaska is our favorite destination, and we will be on the Amsterdam's June 1 sailing this year.

I hope that you have wonderful experience. :)

Archived