Travel advisory to mexico

Corinne Marie

Maybe everyone would like to take notice of the news about the Carnival Splendor excursion where 22 people were held up at gunpoint before espousing how safe it is to walk around Puerto Vallarta.

Could you give us more detail?? Like Dates and a Link so we can see?? This is the first I've heard this so I think it might be aged???

Joanie

This is very unfortunate but.... it is a fact of life.

Below is a story that you might find interesting. This is from 1987

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1243&dat=19871019&id=Gk5TAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_4YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5416,3886437

While I understand the seriousness of the situation it is very unfortunate but crime happens like this frquently EVERYWHERE. Can you imagine what was being said about taking a bus from Lajolla to Las Vegas back in 1987.

I am sure the family of the girl who was a cruise passenger who got shot and was on a bus in St Thomas a couple of years ago thinks it is quite unsafe to go to St Thomas.

I will not even bring up all the news articles about what has happened to tourist here in Las Vegas from being Robbed, shot and killed. Many never get in the news ;)

Indeed it is a very unfortunate incident, which happened this time in P. Vallarta. A good thing is nobody was hurt.

Like Lisa states robberies can and will happen in many places and most of them will never be reported about. Barcelona and Rome e.g. have a bad reputation in pickpockers, I was robbed in the past in Istanbul as well as in Amsterdam. Plenty of tourists still travel there without problems.

Since this time it was in Mexico it did get in the news.

May I remind everybody that right now thousands of tourists - americans, canadians and europeans are having a great stay in Puerto vallarta and enjoying it very much.

There's a big difference between being pickpocketed and robbed at gunpoint on an organized excursion with 22 people.

Mexico has been off my list for awhile and will continue to be so. For awhile anyway, just not a good vibe to me anymore.

You are so right Lettienets---Pickpockets use stealth and don't want you to know they are even there. They mean no bodily harm. Armed men tackling a busload of passengers is very brazen and dangerous. There is nothing subtle about it.

Yesterday I received my Cruise Industry News and it specifically stated that Puerto Vallarta was not on the Travel Advisory.

Here is the link and the Story: http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6786-puerto-vallarta-not-included-in-mexico-travel-warning.html

Puerto Vallarta Not Included in Mexico Travel Warning printButton.png Thursday, 09 February 2012

The February 8 update to the U.S. Department’s Travel Warning to Mexico does not include the city of Puerto Vallarta.

The popular vacation destination Puerto Vallarta is a leading destination in Mexico and continues to offer a wide range of shore excursions and a safe experience for all international visitors., located more than 1,200 miles from the border between Mexico and the US where other drug related violence has taken place, the same distance that separates Los Angeles to Dallas, or New York to Miami.

Puerto Vallarta continues to be one of the safest destinations for international travelers. A recent security/threat assessment study conducted by Thomas Dale & Associates (TDA), a leading global investigative and security firm, found that the number of negative events involving foreigners or non-foreigners is fractional compared to the large ex-pat resident population and the millions of visitors that come to vacation each year in Puerto Vallarta. The study also found that visitors to the destination feel safe and continue to visit Puerto Vallarta numerous times throughout their lifetime.

Though for myself, I do not get off the ship there. Many others do and say they feel no fear.

Joanie

I'm not giving my opinion one way or another, but here's the info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

about two thirds down the page is the warning for P.V. which I cut & pasted here:

Jalisco Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta are the major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. You should also exercise caution when traveling at night outside of cities in the remaining portions of this state. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable and gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur. Concerns include roadblocks placed by individuals posing as police or military personnel and recent gun battles between rival

Joanie...Sorry but I agree with Kitty, Puerto Vallarta is on the non-essential travel list posted on Feb 8, 2012 by the State Dept..It is just as Kitty quoted & is 3/4 way down the list & immediately above Mexico City..

Cheers..Betty

[/size]

Joanie...Sorry but I agree with Kitty, Puerto Vallarta is on the non-essential travel list posted on Feb 8, 2012 by the State Dept..It is just as Kitty quoted & is 3/4 way down the list & immediately above Mexico City..

Cheers..Betty

While this is correct, how long do we think that will last now that an ORGANIZED excursion of 22 Carnival passengers were robbed on their bus at gunpoint?? I worked on the Disney Wonder and sailed weekly to PVR and Cabo from September until Jan of this year. I have been going to PVR for vacation for 9 years and have NEVER felt unsafe. However, this robbery is a GAME CHANGER! It means PVR is on the fast track to the troubles in the rest of the country. Yes, there are a FEW (Cabo especially) areas that have never had any problems but they are getting less and less now. It's very sad because even I no longer will go to Mexico again, even PVR, until the Mexican government can get itself together.

When I was in PVR weekly I was falling more and more in love with her and considering moving there and opening a business. Not now. While the Travel Advisory didn't include the CITY of PVR it did include the state it is listed in (Think Houston is safe, Texas panhandle is not for example) So I do feel PVR will be added after this robbery and you can look to the cruiselines to pull out soon. Disney is only going to Mexico until the 2nd week of December 2012 and then pulling out all together. Other lines will follow that as well. Sad for the great people of Mexico who make a living from tourism but they need to make their government fix things for their sake.

Things are not all rosy in Cabo either. I read on one of the popular travel sites about rising crime in Cabo targeting tourists. The resorts are safe. The airport is safe. The city has problems. I think what is happening is that the government is so overwhelmed with the drug problem that law enforcement resources are overwhelmed. Colombia has improved it's situation to the point that tourists are returning and I am sure the same will happen in Mexico. At least I hope it will. It was and will again be a wonderful country.

While this is correct, how long do we think that will last now that an ORGANIZED excursion of 22 Carnival passengers were robbed on their bus at gunpoint?? I worked on the Disney Wonder and sailed weekly to PVR and Cabo from September until Jan of this year. I have been going to PVR for vacation for 9 years and have NEVER felt unsafe. However, this robbery is a GAME CHANGER! It means PVR is on the fast track to the troubles in the rest of the country. Yes, there are a FEW (Cabo especially) areas that have never had any problems but they are getting less and less now. It's very sad because even I no longer will go to Mexico again, even PVR, until the Mexican government can get itself together.

When I was in PVR weekly I was falling more and more in love with her and considering moving there and opening a business. Not now. While the Travel Advisory didn't include the CITY of PVR it did include the state it is listed in (Think Houston is safe, Texas panhandle is not for example) So I do feel PVR will be added after this robbery and you can look to the cruiselines to pull out soon. Disney is only going to Mexico until the 2nd week of December 2012 and then pulling out all together. Other lines will follow that as well. Sad for the great people of Mexico who make a living from tourism but they need to make their government fix things for their sake.

We too loved PV...Our Son still talks about the wonderful time he had horseback riding on the beach when he was 15...We never felt intimidated & went all over with out fear.... DH was enthralled with PV too & even thought that we should buy an Apartment there..As you say this is now a game changer & it saddens me..

Betty

having been on the roundtrip out of Ft Laud 28 day Canal cruise the past 4 years in February on both the Maasdam and Statendam we unfortunately missed it this year..Statendam was booked so we got shut out...normally we'd be on it as I write.... that incident in PV sure is a bummer but had to happen the way things were going down there

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/26/world/mexico-cruise-robbery/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

we always liked stopping in any of the Mexican ports especially PV and Cabo... unfortunately with this latest incident looks like the writing is on the wall.. the last nail in the coffin and my guess is that most major cruiselines will end their stops in Mexico... pretty sure Princess already has that in effect on their Canal cruises with just 'days at sea' instead of making the Mexico ports..:(

Archived