Motion Sickness on a Helicopter?

jstducky

Will riding a helicopter for the dog sledding tour or a glacier landing tour give you motion sickness?

On my past 2 cruises to Alaska, I think I've had to take Bonine/Dramamine on each trip on only 1 of the 7 days of the cruise. But I've never taken a helicopter excursion until this upcoming trip. I'm just wondering if I should be worried about possible motion sickness, or is the flight so short that its not going to be an issue?

Thanks.

If you are prone to motion sickness, PREVENTION is the key. If even a remote possibility I would take precautions, why even consider having a costly tour ruined due to feeling ill? And most certainly - yes- you can get sick on any kind of flight. :)

I have been wondering this myself. I have never experienced motion sickness, but then again, I have never been on a helicopter. When the weather clears up this spring, when we lose that morning ick, I am going out to our local airport (French Valley) and take one of their $25 Temecula Valley trips. For $50, my husband and I can enjoy the flight AND find out if either of us has a problem. (I don't think he does since he has had to take off and land in a helicopter from naval ship to naval ship. ;) )

It also depends on your pilot. We had a nice, smooth ride out to the Mendenhall Glacier last year – no problem. But we had a different pilot on the way back who entertained himself by swooping his way back. It was the only time I felt motion sick on the entire cruise. (I took ginger to entire time.)

Also, something surprising to me was how difficult it was to get out of the helicopter. It’s a little disorienting on the glacier, and stepping out of the helicopter, I fell out onto the glacier. No damage, just a good story ….

Thanks for the advice all. I appreciate it. BQ you're right, there's no point to risk not having a good time on an expensive excursion by not taking proper precautions. I'll make sure to take Bonine before I take the helicopter rides just in case!

We took our first helicopter ride a few months back and loved it. I was thankful that I took my Dramamine, though. It's really such a strange feeling, much different than a plane (which doesn't bother me one bit). I think it's because the helicopters lead with their nose tipped down - especially upon take off. Feels STRANGE, but not bad.

I'm sure that if I hadn't stressed over it, I'd have been fine even without the pill. Plus, you get so caught up in the scenery, you pretty much forget about anything else.

Oh, and the landings! Smooth, smooth, smooth. You can't even feel them touch down.

Archived