Several Questions re: Aix, shuttles, ATM's

ricki

I posted this on another thread, but no responses, so I'm starting a new thread.

Lots of questions, so thank you in advance.

Our ship (Oceania Marina) docks in Marseille. What should we expect to pay for a taxi to the train station?

Any hints on taking the train to Aix en Provence?

Someone mentioned a shuttle from the train station back to the cruise ship port. Is that specific to each cruise line or public transportation that goes to several ships/ports?

Also, what type of weather is likely in early April in Provence/French Riviera?

Will our bank issue a 4 digit pin to use in European ATM's?

Thanks again!

Ricki

I posted this on another thread, but no responses, so I'm starting a new thread.

Lots of questions, so thank you in advance.

Our ship (Oceania Marina) docks in Marseille. What should we expect to pay for a taxi to the train station?

Not sure of the current price but depending on docking position it should be approximately 15 Euros.

Any hints on taking the train to Aix en Provence?

Just get to the St Charles train station and buy your ticket (its like a commuter train). Make sure to always validate your ticket before you get on the train. In Europe there are validation machines located either near the platform exit or on the platforms.

Someone mentioned a shuttle from the train station back to the cruise ship port. Is that specific to each cruise line or public transportation that goes to several ships/ports?

All the cruise ships operate shuttle buses between the port and the Vieux Port (in town). The cost of the shuttle varies by cruise line.

Also, what type of weather is likely in early April in Provence/French Riviera?

Early spring weather is really unpredictable and can be anywhere from warm (low 70s) sunny weather to cool rainy days and everything between.

Will our bank issue a 4 digit pin to use in European ATM's?

Now that is a question for your bank. Some folks have reported that they have been able to use the first 4 digits of their 6 digit PIN, but you cannot depend on that fact.

Ricki

Hank

The train service between Marseille and Aix is relatively infrequent. However, there is a very regular shuttle bus that leaves every five minutes at peak hours and takes about 40 mins. It costs 5 euros each way. http://rdt13.com/IMG/pdf/FH0050.pdf

Thank you for this information, AngloinProvence (how wonderful to live where you do!). Does the shuttle bus leave from St. Charles Station?

Ricki

I was under the impression that the bus stop for the #50 was about 100 metres from Porte d'Aix. Was it here previously?

If it is indeed at the bus/train station now is it practical to take the Metro from Vieux-Port to Gare Saint-Charles?

Thanks! :)

Archived