Underwater Camera

texas34

Can anyone recommend an underwater camera? I'm tired of using disposable ones.

We got the Fuji XP underwater camera & really like it!!! We were very pleased with pictures from our 1st use with it, snorkeling in Cozumel. I have some pictures in my review from our Dec. cruise. (Link in my signature) Just in case you'd like to see how they turned out.

I just picked up one of these for my Canon S95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050051QI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Seems to do the trick for a low price without having to buy a camera specifically designed for underwater photography. I know my S95 has an underwater preset. So using the external housing should work great.

That said, I just received the item last week and haven't had a chance to test it in real world conditions yet.

I would go for the power shot d20. It is the newer version of there waterproof camera. If you go to dpreveiw. com they reviewed the waterproof cameras. There is great info there. the older cannon got great reviews and I can not wait to see this one.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d20

I just picked up one of these for my Canon S95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050051QI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I used one of these during our recent stingray excursion and it worked great... not a drop of water on the inside! We had to wipe the outside "lens" area off occasionally when the pics started to look hazy, but definitely a great alternative to purchasing an official underwater camera!

I love my Olympus Tough. I've had it a few years now. Great for beach, water, snow. It has a lot of functions and even does great underwater video.

I'll second this! Buying my Olympus Shock & Water proof camera was one of the BEST purchases I've ever made.

I've had it almost 5 years now and it still works great after being dropped countless times (sometimes from the top of tree stands when hunting), it has been on many snorkeling trips and in countless pools and it survived a 10 day trip to Disney World that ruined both my aunt's and my sister's cameras. In the time I've had this camera my sister's been through three digital cameras and my aunt has been through four. DEFINITELY worth the investment!

I love my Olympus Tough. I've had it a few years now. Great for beach, water, snow. It has a lot of functions and even does great underwater video.

We were looking to buy this one, but the reviews on it are horrible. And the guarantee is worthless .... won't cover anything if it gets wet or is dropped. So, why would they advertise it as beign waterproof if you can't get it wet? Also reviewers complain about how slowly it loads and no GPS on it. Maybe they got bad ones and you were lucky enough to get one without problems.

I had the Olympus Stylus 770SW for a while. I was great for shallow dives but could not handle any depth. The Stylus 770 was great for the pool but tanked once sand from the beach got in it. I switched to the SeaLife 1200 with the Pro light rig. It is great for deeper macro shots. I learned the hard way you cannot change from photos to video or vise-versa,underwater missed soem great Nemo shots at GBR Au becasue of this. I tried a few of the DigiPac cases for my other point and shots but the presure squeeze makes the buttons too difficult to operate.

Lately, I have see the GoPros at Costco for ~$130 with deep dive case. I think that will be my next move

I second the recommendations for the Fuji XP series. I can attest that they are rugged as heck. I was on a jet ski in very very rough water and it was on my wrist smashing against the jet ski. Chipped the paint off of the end - still works as good as new. It is waterproof/shock/freeze/and dust proof. I have used it in all of the elements and it shoots well. It also has settings to take pictures underwater, the beach etc. Really good underwater camera for a great price.

We also have the Panasonic Lumix. I love it and the pictures turned out great.

I have a non-waterproof lumix and it is my favorite camera. As far as waterproof, I like the Fuji. I do believe the price is cheaper than other makes for the features you get.

Do you want a waterproof camera to take snorkeling, or to take scuba-diving?

Most of those mentioned here will not work for scuba as they are only good to about 10ft. Scuba would require a case that can take the pressure at depth.

Yep:

Depth is a Major Consideration.

Think about the max depth you might use it and add 50%.

What ever you do be sure your camera has a Flash and use it for every

image.

The best deal And Best results we have had with underwater camera's

has been with what many would consider a disposable SnapSights camera.

They are 35mm and can be removed from the housings to reload AND they

have a flash.

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-Sights-Waterproof-Underwater-Reusable/dp/B000HAMY84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329180518&sr=8-1

This was just the 1st. link I found, shipping should not be so high.

Yes it is a cheap camera but it does take great pictures.

Archived