How is it possible?

dulcimergirl

Talking about "room and board" read the book Cruise Confidential to see the almost

subhuman living conditions the crew live in. The low wages, and horrific hours are

bearable because they can manage to support their families back home by accepting them.

If I can afford to cruise, I can manage to leave the tips on my card, and pay the bill

later. I tip the room service waiters a couple of dollars because they have to carry the

loaded tray all the way to my cabin. Tipping is a fact of life for Americans, and gradually

creeping around the world.

It would be lovely if employers paid a decent wage, but then the price to us would go up,

so either way......we're the ones paying the difference.

I wish Carnival still printed brochures.....there was a world of information available in them,

including tipping and what's included in the cruise price.

Do you think staff on ships leaving from USA ports are paid less than others that sail out of overseas ports?

Ships under the carnival brand in Australia are made up mostly of cheap labour Asian and Indian staff like USA ships.

The reason I ask is many other countries are not used to or even inclined to tip extra and many even remove their on board daily graduates for no reason other than to save money at the end of the cruise once they get their on-board spend print out (most seasoned cruisers leave the tips in place and tip extra).

I would presume they all get the same basic wage structure?

if so then those working out of The States would be much better off due to Americans being brought up with tipping for service being the right way to go.

Entertainment/shop staff get a much better pay structure and are made up mainly of British/American/Australian/Canadian staff.

Security staff are mainly from New Zealand and although get more than domestic staff get the wage is well below the Australian minimum wage.

Den

Do you think staff on ships leaving from USA ports are paid less than others that sail out of overseas ports?

Ships under the carnival brand in Australia are made up mostly of cheap labour Asian and Indian staff like USA ships.

The reason I ask is many other countries are not used to or even inclined to tip extra and many even remove their on board daily graduates for no reason other than to save money at the end of the cruise once they get their on-board spend print out (most seasoned cruisers leave the tips in place and tip extra).

I would presume they all get the same basic wage structure?

if so then those working out of The States would be much better off due to Americans being brought up with tipping for service being the right way to go.

Entertainment/shop staff get a much better pay structure and are made up mainly of British/American/Australian/Canadian staff.

Security staff are mainly from New Zealand and although get more than domestic staff get the wage is well below the Australian minimum wage.

Den

I believe cruises from australia have the tips factored into the price.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Many, many folks have no idea what's included, or what's commonplace...whether on a cruise, or in a hotel...or anywhere, for that matter!

I know personally of folks who never, ever tip the housekeeper in a hotel.....

Perhaps an etiquette book should be required reading for everyone...starting in 1st grade, and every year thereafter.

Why would you tip the housekeeper in the hotel unless they did something for you above and beyond their regular job? Unlike a cruise line steward, they are paid at least minimum wage if they are just starting their employment.

Maybe if I spent several days in the hotel and required sometihing extra would I tip housekeeping. Most often though I am there for one night and any services I recieve are through the service desk, not house keeping.

On a cruise however, I ask that they keep me in ice, take my laundry and pressing, and refill our coke supply. That goes above and beyond and deserves an extra tip above and beyond auto tips.

Liberty may home port in Miami - but is registered in Panama like the majority of Carnival ships - I don't think any of them would be 'registered' in the US for that matter!

As mentioned this means they do not have to adhere to any of the U.S. minimum wage laws

Interesting how ships(NCL Pride of America) that are bound by US Labor laws get in hot water

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/02/norwegian-cruise-line-wage-rules-hawaii/629049/1

Archived