How is it possible?

dulcimergirl

I've gotta be honest, the whole concept of tipping is freaking me out a little bit. :o We are from Australia and we don't tip here. It has been removed from all of our cruise ships as well (including ones run by Carnival Corp) and will be removed from the Carnival Spirit when she is based here.

However, we are booked on to the Spirit's relocation cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. Our gratuities have been prepaid as part of our fare. But does this really mean anything? Does it mean we don't tip when we're onboard? Does it mean we are meant to tip but only certain situations? I don't want us to not tip (if it's expected) and make staff angry, resulting in bad service. If we are expected to, who do we tip and how much are we meant to tip? And if we are expected to, why have our gratuities been prepaid and who will that money be going to? See, I'm freaking out! :eek:

Here's one other side of assumptions.

We went to a land vacation, arranged by my BIL and his girlfriend, similar to a place I have been going to as a kid, where you tip just like you do on board a cruise ship.

After breakfast, my SIL and BIL's GF informed me that I should leave the tip this time, as they had been "covering me".

I countered with how tips usually work, where "the mouth" informed me how all her tipping habits worked, even after I explained my assumption.

I left the table, and proceeded to the office and grabbed a brochure. To my surprise, there was a 15% service charge tacked on for our convenience, covering all tips and such.

I let them know. "The mouth" hasn't talked to me since, but to my surprise, that service was just an extra line on the bill, which could have gone unnoticed by someone not looking. And I may have also tipped my waitress and housekeeping before I checked out. I honestly don't know what I would have done at that point.

In any case, to the OP, make no assumptions. It seems none of these places SHOUT about the dirty underbelly of tipping.

I booked online, and had no idea about the $11.50 pp charge... that being said, I did budget for tipping. Just not enough to satisfy the CC members, I hope the staff are a better grade of people than the ones who freqeunt this place.

I don't understand this statement. You either budgeted the $11.50pp/pd or you didn't. You said you did then turn around and said, "Just not enough to satisfy CC members." First, I hope to the Heaven's that you don't live your life to satisfy CC members. If you paid the $11.50pp/pd you were tipping appropriately and I'm sure that made the staff happy (as they rely on tips as part of their salary). However, I inferred from your statement that you did not in fact, pay the $11.50pp/pd. And that is none of my business, of course.

If you did not pay the $11.50 pp/pd tip, then my only suggestion would be to be careful who you say is a "better grade of person" than the next. I suspect if you relied on tips as part of your living and found out that you'd been stiffed, you might have a few choice words for the person who stiffed you. You might even question what grade of person would do such a thing.

Twice I have had casual conversation with cruisers, probably midway through the cruise, one told me they "couldn't afford to eat in the dining room every night" and the other asked me "how much does it cost to eat in there" so... I can see it happening!

That's funny.....

I've gotta be honest, the whole concept of tipping is freaking me out a little bit. :o We are from Australia and we don't tip here. It has been removed from all of our cruise ships as well (including ones run by Carnival Corp) and will be removed from the Carnival Spirit when she is based here.

However, we are booked on to the Spirit's relocation cruise from Honolulu to Sydney. Our gratuities have been prepaid as part of our fare. But does this really mean anything? Does it mean we don't tip when we're onboard? Does it mean we are meant to tip but only certain situations? I don't want us to not tip (if it's expected) and make staff angry, resulting in bad service. If we are expected to, who do we tip and how much are we meant to tip? And if we are expected to, why have our gratuities been prepaid and who will that money be going to? See, I'm freaking out! :eek:

If you prepaid the tips for the relocation cruise when you booked, then you don't have to worry about tipping anyone else unless you want to give someone something extra. Anything you order from a bar will have a 15% gratuity automatically added to it, so the bartenders are taken care of as well. The only thing is, if you order room service, you might want to tip whoever delivers it $1-$3 (depending on how large the order is, at your discretion) as the room service attendants aren't covered in the tipping pool, as far as I know.

I don't understand this statement. You either budgeted the $11.50pp/pd or you didn't. You said you did then turn around and said, "Just not enough to satisfy CC members." First, I hope to the Heaven's that you don't live your life to satisfy CC members. If you paid the $11.50pp/pd you were tipping appropriately and I'm sure that made the staff happy (as they rely on tips as part of their salary). However, I inferred from your statement that you did not in fact, pay the $11.50pp/pd. And that is none of my business, of course.

If you did not pay the $11.50 pp/pd tip, then my only suggestion would be to be careful who you say is a "better grade of person" than the next. I suspect if you relied on tips as part of your living and found out that you'd been stiffed, you might have a few choice words for the person who stiffed you. You might even question what grade of person would do such a thing.

I understood it as s/he budgeted cash tips because s/he didn't know they were included but did not budget enough to satisfy people here who swear they tip room stewards $100 over.

You pretty much just scolded her/him like a child, based on an assumption.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

I budgeted NOT knowing there was a recommended amount to budget and I budgeted short of the 11.50pp.... I have no intention of stiffing anyone, but like these folks I also work hard (Three jobs) and we chose to save our hard earned money to pay for a cruise. But, it seems like only the people who work for tips are eligable for respect. What threw me off was we budget to tip generously... The thing that I didnt account for was the fact that carnival recommends a per person charge, and we just did our figures per room.... We have two rooms, 2 adults and 2 teens.

If I take another cruise, I will know about the recommended tipping amount and I will budget for it. But if you have never cruised before it is very possible to NOT know about the $11.50 per person recommendations.

I assumed it was like at a hotel... you tip your maid, your room service people and your dinner staff...

I feared for my life, he looked like he was going to explode. :eek: Very strange indeed. (not really the feared part..)

I would have ignored this guy. Thanks for the reminder that a cruise is made up of 3000 strangers! Something for everyone to remember..especially parents when they think it is OK to let 10 yo junior have run of the ship!

No worries, if your gratuities have been prepaid you are not expected to tip any more. You can, of course for excellent service but its truly not necessary. I always prepay my grats so as to eliminate that worry. Go, have a great cruise!

Twice I have had casual conversation with cruisers, probably midway through the cruise, one told me they "couldn't afford to eat in the dining room every night" and the other asked me "how much does it cost to eat in there" so... I can see it happening!

Is is possible these people are confusing the Steak House with the MDR? I agree that you should educate yourself before sailing. You are spending your hard earned $$ and there is tons of info out there free for the asking.

Enjoy your cruise :cool:

I agree with Kethry88 about room service tipping. One other area you might want to consider is tipping a dollar a bag at the port to the guys that handle your luggage. :)

I have never cruised before but I have my first one booked in July. I had no clue about tipping until I was about to book. I think the main reason people think tips are included it because they think of it like an all inclusive Caribbean resort like a Sandals type place. At those places tipping is included and tipping extra is NOT recommended.

The part that kind of pisses me off though is the mandatory 15% at the bars. Someone correct me if Im wrong because Im really not sure, how much do bartenders make? Not necessarily cruise bartenders but any bartender in the US? I always thought it was higher than minimum wage. Unlike waiters/waitresses that only get like 2-3 bucks an hour. Tipping the 15% at bars is absolute BS to me. I go grab a 4 dollar beer and the bartender opens the bottle for me. Im sorry but does he deserve 60 cents on that? hell no.

Also I dont tip housekeepers at hotels unless they go above and beyond. Why am I going to tip someone who already gets paid for what they do???

I booked online, and had no idea about the $11.50 pp charge... that being said, I did budget for tipping. Just not enough to satisfy the CC members, I hope the staff are a better grade of people than the ones who freqeunt this place.

I also don't understand this statement. I also booked online and it clearly asks you if you want to pre pay your tips or not during the booking process. I guess you didn't pay much attention while booking.

I have never cruised before but I have my first one booked in July. I had no clue about tipping until I was about to book. I think the main reason people think tips are included it because they think of it like an all inclusive Caribbean resort like a Sandals type place. At those places tipping is included and tipping extra is NOT recommended. Plus, since these ships are registered in foreign countries, they are not subject to the same US laws when it comes to pay standards, I believe. (Not 100% on that one)

The part that kind of pisses me off though is the mandatory 15% at the bars. Someone correct me if Im wrong because Im really not sure, how much do bartenders make? Not necessarily cruise bartenders but any bartender in the US? I always thought it was higher than minimum wage. Unlike waiters/waitresses that only get like 2-3 bucks an hour. Tipping the 15% at bars is absolute BS to me. I go grab a 4 dollar beer and the bartender opens the bottle for me. Im sorry but does he deserve 60 cents on that? hell no.

Also I dont tip housekeepers at hotels unless they go above and beyond. Why am I going to tip someone who already gets paid for what they do???

No Bartenders do NOT get paid higher than minimum wage. They get paid the same LOWER than minimum wage hourly pay and they rely on tips. Considering a lot of cultures do not tip and even some people in the US are cheapo's, the 15% is standard, because otherwise many people wouldn't know to tip. We have cruisers who don't even bother to find out that the MDR is FREE, you think they're going to think to tip a bartender or a room steward? No, so the tip is automatically included.

Housekeepers in most major hotels are tipped positions and tips are considered part of their pay. If you are staying in a hotel for over 3 days (or a cruise ship in this case) they deserve to be tipped after cleaning up after you every day.

I am ASTOUNDED at the people who are complaining about an $11.50 pp gratuity charge that is divided among your dining staff, cabin steward, etc..Considering all they do, they deserve much more. I am willing to bet that anyone who bitches has never worked a tip paying job in high school or college. Seriously, people get over it. These people work very hard and make BELOW minimum wage. If you can't afford to tip properly, you need to be rethinking your vacation plans.

I see a lot of people here have forgotten just how overwhelming a 1st cruise can be.

You can research and research and research and still not know everything.

My 1st cruise, like the guy in the elevator I listened to "others" and never knew about the tipping. And believed the hype that everything was included.

Luckily I had the $$ and gladly paid it.

I easily confused the MDR with the Speciality restaurant. Now I'm glad I never said it outloud or the holier than thou's would be mocking me too.

How about you help a 1st timer out instead of ridiculing them?

And it's never wise to confront a stranger in a fit of anger in an elevator. 1st and foremost it's none of your business.

No Bartenders do NOT get paid higher than minimum wage. They get paid the same LOWER than minimum wage hourly pay and they rely on tips. Considering a lot of cultures do not tip and even some people in the US are cheapo's, the 15% is standard, because otherwise many people wouldn't know to tip. We have cruisers who don't even bother to find out that the MDR is FREE, you think they're going to think to tip a bartender or a room steward? No, so the tip is automatically included.

Housekeepers in most major hotels are tipped positions and tips are considered part of their pay. If you are staying in a hotel for over 3 days (or a cruise ship in this case) they deserve to be tipped after cleaning up after you every day.

I am ASTOUNDED at the people who are complaining about an $11.50 pp gratuity charge that is divided among your dining staff, cabin steward, etc..Considering all they do, they deserve much more. I am willing to bet that anyone who bitches has never worked a tip paying job in high school or college. Seriously, people get over it. These people work very hard and make BELOW minimum wage. If you can't afford to tip properly, you need to be rethinking your vacation plans.

Well said, Bravo!

I am ASTOUNDED at the people who are complaining about an $11.50 pp gratuity charge that is divided among your dining staff, cabin steward, etc..Considering all they do, they deserve much more. I am willing to bet that anyone who bitches has never worked a tip paying job in high school or college. Seriously, people get over it. These people work very hard and make BELOW minimum wage.

it's the etc. part that i have a problem with, as i see others do as well. $2 of that $11.50 per person now goes to full salaried ship's personel, who are NOT making below minimum wage.

<bolding mine>

Where is this written and when was it implemented?

Apparently I've been stiffing the #$%^ out of hotel housekeepers, not knowing they were sub-minimum wage earners. (Or are they paid normally and this is part of the tipping growth phenomenon in the US?)

I've only ever tipped hotel housekeepers in the rare occassions where we left an out of the ordinary mess. On cruises I already know their wage scale assumes major tipping, but I've yet to see the hotel version breakout.

If this is true then I have no problem with 15%, and most of the time I make it almost 20%. I just thought bartenders got paid more than waiters/waitresses and were above minimum wage. Same for housekeepers at hotels.

I think the problem lies with educating people about who gets paid what. I think its common knowledge that waiters/waitresses are less than minimum wage. I had no clue bartenders and housekeepers were below minimum wage. Hotels and bars should put signs up telling you which employees make less than minimum wage.

Again i have absolutely no problem tipping those that make less and rely on tips. And like Snorkel2Much said, Im still not sure if I believe the housekeepers part. I need to see some proof before I tip a housekeeper.

suggested tips for hotels are still $1 to $5 per night per room, depending on "extra service", so i hardly think that tips are part of their pay.

When it comes to hotels, I believe it depends on the hotel as the salary/pay structure for the housekeeper, but yes, it is proper etiquette to tip your maid. The fact is they are providing a service for you and even if they DO get minimum wage (a whopping $7 something an hour), they are still making jack crap, so throw them a few dollars for cleaning up after you.

Archived