anyone ever bring tripod and take their own family pics on a cruise?

hubby took his tripod on our cruise last year but it mainly got used for the video camera to keep it steady (he has v shaky hands).

He learnt his lesson about leaving it unattended as we were on the helipad of Jewel as we sailed out of Harwich. the breeze picked up and blew his tripod over, with the camera hanging over board!! Just managed to catch it in time before it all went over!

This is the resulting video (quite long and tedious!)with the mishap occurring around 6.28:

Found it very useful on ship for filming arrivals and exits at ports etc but didnt really take it ashore with us that often.

Really? not allow a tripod and have to go the naughty room..PLEASE...they really should worry about more important things that a tripod...:eek:

Sorry...I was just goofin'. Of course they don't confiscate tripods. I am new to RCI (first cruise coming up in 23 days) and this whole concept of the naughty room cracks me up. HAL is a lot more mellow re.: bringing a bottle of wine or a six pack of beer.

I was just trying to be ornery.

Trout

I took my full sized tripod on our last cruise on Freedom. Everyone remarked "I wish I would have thought of that!!"... I hate bothering people, and I use a DSLR, so I hate having to spend time explaining to people how to use it. I let people take pictures of my wife and myself with that camera and they just didn't turn out right... so...

I brought my tripod and a long extention cord for my remote shutter... between that and the timer function, my wife was happy to have pictures of both she and I on our cruise, instead of tons of pictures of just her! :)

I will never leave my tripod at home again.

Something else to take, just for fun, is your GPS from your car... :) If you have a balcony cabin, it is kinda neat to see how fast you are going, what direction, etc.

we are cruising soon, and well we have a pretty nice camera to take pics with, i was really thinking of bringing our folding tri pod so we can get some good family shots around the ship and on formal night etc..

does this seem ghetto???

sorry for my word choice, but as i remember out of all the cruises we have been on ive never seen people doing this

im just tired of paying 30$ plus for a pic, that I can take with my own camera.

thoughts?

Hello there,

It doesn't seem "ghetto" at all. We did this for our last two cruises and it was excellent. We had a balcony, so we set up the tri pod just inside of the balcony, positioned ourselves, then popped the timer on and posed on the balcony so we had the beautiful view. This way, the camera is safe from the elements in the air con. Other options include setting it up on balconies in the promenade or atrium. If you choose not to bring along the nice camera, we have found other passengers to be willing to take photos, though it might take a couple of tries before you get the shot you really want.

Good luck!

Archived