anyone ever bring tripod and take their own family pics on a cruise?

we are cruising soon, and well we have a pretty nice camera to take pics with, i was really thinking of bringing our folding tri pod so we can get some good family shots around the ship and on formal night etc..

does this seem ghetto???

sorry for my word choice, but as i remember out of all the cruises we have been on ive never seen people doing this

im just tired of paying 30$ plus for a pic, that I can take with my own camera.

thoughts?

I have a very small folding tripod that I bring along...but that is mainly for shots in my cabin with my towel animal...:D I would think it would be hard trying to set up a tripod in the public areas of the ship...the "nice" areas seem to get pretty congested at times..I've always found people willing to take a picture of myself or my group...maybe you could try that..

I carry a table top and a mono pod. Other passengers and crew are always nice about using your camera to take your picture. Its not a problem at all. When you hand your camera over , make sure the wrist strap or neck strap is used by the picture taker

We always use the ship pros to take a few as its free and if you don't like them you don't have to buy them.

Ever since I got my first digital camera I have not needed to buy ship photos. Even the least expensive cameras take remarkably good pictures.

There are always people around who are willing to take a picture for you. I just would not hand my camera to someone in port who is not from the ship.

We did a shot with our camera and tripod on the Explorer next to one of the rails overlooking the Royal Promenade. People were very nice allowing a few seconds for the shot before they walked through. My son looking very handsome in his Air Force uniform probably had something to do with that. He had young ladies coming up asking to take pictures with him. :)

Due to the substantial revenue shortfall caused by passengers smuggling them on board, tripods have been banned. Anyone caught trying to bring a tripod on board in checked baggage will have to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve it. If you are caught with a tripod in your carry on, it will be confiscated at the pier and not returned.

Smuggle tripods at your own risk.

Trout.

I have seen many folks using them. On one trip there was a guy who I watched on more than one occasion act as though everyone had to walk around him, not use the stairs he set up on, etc. He really was annoying.

Also watched a guy stand behind the ship photgrapher and take pictures of his wife/girlfriend while the ship guy did it. It was comical watching the the guy sneek his pictures.

We have the "Gorillapod," which is flexible and can be wrapped around a pole or sat up straight, and is incredibly small and packable.

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GP1-A1EN-Gorillapod-Flexible-Tripod/dp/B000EVSLRO

This will probably be the solution to my $399 digital photo question earlier today.

I was about to respond that I love my Gorillapod!

I've never thought about bringing a tripod on a cruise - but what a great idea for pictures in ports too.

We brought ours with us to Hawaii and was able to get some very nice shots of my DH and I out on the beach at sunset .... might have to pack mine for the cruise.

Like other said you will easily find people to take the photos for you, with the screens on the back you can tell right away if you got a good one. We also have my husband take a photo of me and the kids, then I take one of him and when we get home he merges them together. No one can ever tell it was two different pictures.

we are cruising soon, and well we have a pretty nice camera to take pics with, i was really thinking of bringing our folding tri pod so we can get some good family shots around the ship and on formal night etc..

does this seem ghetto???

sorry for my word choice, but as i remember out of all the cruises we have been on ive never seen people doing this

im just tired of paying 30$ plus for a pic, that I can take with my own camera.

thoughts?

I would take the tri pod with you. I always do when I travel and have not had a problem. Take some great pictures and enjoy your trip.

It has not been mentioned, but those of you that are familiar with photography and cameras should ask a picture taker if he/she would like you to take one of their group so the photographer gets in the picture.

Most times they are very appreciative of the offer and happy to take you up on it.

You can bring my DH with you! Seriously he was so funny on our last cruise, everytime we walked by someone taking a photo of a person or people my DH would stop and ask if they wanted him to take a group picture!! (Although it worked out for us, as a result they would thank him up and down and offer to take a picture of us with our camera).

It has not been mentioned, but those of you that are familiar with photography and cameras should ask a picture taker if he/she would like you to take one of their group so the photographer gets in the picture.

Most times they are very appreciative of the offer and happy to take you up on it.

Could not agree more, I offer that all the time, and people really appreciate it. Once in a while I will offer only to find I am offering, and the person holding the camera is actually not part of the group, but is actually already taking the photo for them. :D

Or looks faster than me.

Simple-pick someone with a bigger & better camera than yours-no reason to steal yours!

I shoot other travelers all the time, I can probably undrestand hand signals for "will you take our picture" in 30 languages! And I've lost count of how many weddings we've shot for new friends!

Archived