Spice Store - is it still there?

Marylandteachergirl

I did a search and only found one reference to a spice store from 2009 in Toonjie's AOS review (this is still an awesome review with many great photos). He referenced a spice store that was a 5-10 min walk from the ship and has a red roof. Does anyone know if this is still there? Is it part of an open air market? I would love to get some vanilla.

Are there restrictions to bringing spices through the Agriculture inspection at the San Juan airport? If yes, I will be happy with vanilla only.

yes, it is still there -it is part of the Castries Craft Market, across the main road from the docks. There are lots of vendors with crafts, a meat market, a produce market out back, a fish market and the spice market. Very colorful and interesting way to spend an hour or 2.

Enjoy.

Jasminelee, I wondered the same thing! Customs and the Agriculture inspection since we are flying out if Puerto Rico. I decided the vanilla was safe since it's sealed/bottled. Maybe someone who has purchased them would know?????

I could try posting on AOS thread, also.

I brought vanilla back from Mexico, but didn't have to fly with it, we were on a cruise out of Mobile. I guess I will have to research airline policies-or maybe just email Delta (who we are flying on)

Do we have any recent experiences with this from anyone on CC??

I don't know about spices, but we did buy banana ketchup, banana bbq sauce, and Barbadian hot sauce and didn't have a problem with any of that going through the agricultural check.

thanks for the info - I see you did the same cruise we are doing. Are there any "must sees" you can recommend? Did you use independents for all excursions? That is what I am planning to do so far.

thanks again

Just this month, we brought home 2 bottles of vanilla and 2 little baskets of multiple spices, packed in our suitcases, which went through the agricultural check in San Juan and had no problems. We were asked about fruits and vegetables at the terminal but not about any food products which this would of course be considered. We had picked up our vanilla in Barbados and the spices were from St. Lucia.

Archived