Rum Point - Is it worth the drive?

krdougan

I will be in Grand Cayman on 4/3 and am planning to rent a car while there to visit multiple snorkle sites, beaches, and probably take a quick trip to Hell. I like the idea of going to Rum Point because I hear it has good snorkeling and is away from most of the crowds, so it could double as a nice beach spot and a good snorkeling spot.

It looks to me like the drive from Georgetown to Rum Point is about 40 minutes. Is Rum Point worth eating up about 80 minutes driving to and from? Or are there other areas similar that won't require as much time in the car?

Thanks!

I thought Rum Point was very nice. A more laid-back feel to the beach and the surrounding area. You can also pick up something to eat and drink while you make a stop there. As for the snorkeling - sand goes a long way before you hit the reef. We saw a few people snorkeling off the beach, but only a few. The best snorkeling will be out by the reef/drop off, and that is quite a swim from the shore. There were 6 ships docked that same day we were there, and this place was about as peaceful as you could ask for.

I know that others have talked about good beaches to snorkel off of on this side of the island. They headed north out of Georgetown and talked about various stops along the shoreline. Highly recommend Vivinne's for lunch.

I loved Rum Point and found it an easy drive with not to much traffic. We did not go the other way first though so I'm not sure if it would feel like too much after going to HELL.

The snorkeling off the beach was average. I did see some small rays, a baby shark along with lots of interesting fish. We saw others snorkeling more to the right (if standing on the point looking out at the water) and there appeared to be a reef there. I did not have a vest and was snorkeling alone so didn't want to venture that far away. I have since bought one and will try that next time.

I found Rum Point to resemble my post card image of what the Caribbean is and would go back in a heart beat.

The aerial picture on this site lets you see the reef off to the right.

http://www.caymanislands.ky/activities/rum_point_beach.aspx

The northern part of the island has it's own little hell area. As we were driving from Rum Point to Vivinne's for lunch, our guide pulled over on the side of the road and pointed out all the formations like they have over in the better known Hell on the island. I remember her saying that we didn't need to drive all the way over to the crowded and commercialized Hell when they had their own little piece of hell right here. Granted, there is no post office to send a postcard from. But the pictures looked great all the same.

Is the cemetary beach part of 7 mile anything like rum point? I read that it is also shady and has ok snorkeling and is much easier to get too.

Not even remotely similar. No facilities at all at Cemetary Beach.

Other than facilities, are they similar in terms of snorkeling and scenery?

Nope.

Cemetary Beach is a part of Seven Mile Beach. In my experience, other than some trees up near the cemetary, and the fact that the reef seems a little closer to shore in that area, it looks much the same as the rest of Seven Mile Beach.

I'll paste my standard blurb about the two beach areas below:

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free or cheap facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

We rented a car and followed a driving tour to Rum Point. Instead of heading North on the main road that cuts up the center of the island, we followed along to the East End and up to Rum Point. It was a great drive. If I was armed with the snorkel map posted above, we'd likely have stopped for longer periods along the way to do some underwater sight seeing as well.

When we got to Rum Point it was quite crowded, so we continued to the Kaibo Yacht Club for lunch. VERY nice. Then we cut back down the center of the island towards to south and the port area.

We loved the drive, the scenery, the beaches, the 'jerk' shops...and happening upon the "Off The Beaten Path" road along the way. One of my favorite port days so far. Enjoy!

Tiki Beach is about 15 minutes from port. It is one of the 3 beach clubs on 7 Mile Beach. On-site bar and restaurant, restrooms, showers, rental: loungers, umbrellas, water sports.

Hotels usually do not rent out chairs, umbrellas, etc...some do occasionally offer a rare day-pass. The beach clubs are a sure bet though.

The snorkeling off the beach was average. I did see some small rays, a baby shark along with lots of interesting fish. We saw others snorkeling more to the right (if standing on the point looking out at the water) and there appeared to be a reef there. I did not have a vest and was snorkeling alone so didn't want to venture that far away. I have since bought one and will try that next time.

If you are going to make the effort to get to Rum Point for snorkeling, the least you can do is know were to go when you get there to make it worth the while...

http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/

Can anyone suggest a snorkeling location that is suitable for family of mostly non-swimmers where the waters are relatively shallow and calm? For example, we've snorkeled Stingray City, a nearby reef and around the pier/beach at Rum Point on a tour, and believe it or not, we had as much fun just snorkeling around the pier. Although the fish and scenery were obviously much better at the first two locales, the stress of having to keep an eye out on a child who can't swim (but can snorkel well) in deep water was high. So my question is: Is there some very shallow water location that offers a few more fish, rays, etc. than the Rum Point Pier/beach? For instance, just how far out is the reef and how deep is the water out there? Is the Rum Point Shore Drift route very deep? How about Cemetery Beach? Thanks in advance!

We did a little research before our cruise and decided we wanted to go to Sea Grapes beach via a taxi. We got off the ship and followed signs for a taxi. Seems like no small taxi's are available. All taxi's are vans. Vans all wanted to take us to Royal Palms beach. We had little choice in where we were going so we went to Royal Palms beach. We paid $6. each for the ride to the beach. This was to include ride home. Well, when we left there were many vans lined up. They fill them and back you go to your ship. I forget if we paid $3 or $6 to get back. It was a fair price but they tell you going that the $6. includes your ride back. That just doesn't happen.

Royal Palms beach charged us to get in $2, I think. We paid $10 each for a lounger and $10 for umbrella. Beach was crowded and once you got into the water it was a very steep drop off. My husband couldn't negotiate it and fell. It was hard to climb out. Going uphill in water on sand isn't easy for a senior.

I wouldn't recommend a beach day here for seniors. We had a beer and left.

Archived