Snorkling Suggestions in Dominica

jsf

Just took a tour with Bumpiing Tours which included the Champagne Reef. The snorkeling was great, and the tiny bubbles were fun. HOWEVER, getting in was not as much a problem for me as getting out was. Don't stay out too long, as I did, because you will be too tired to fight the current to get back to shore. It was beautiful, and I didn't want it to end. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We too just returned from cruise. Due to health reasons, I can not be in the sun long. I usually wear a wide brimmed hat, and when I snorkel, I wear a long sleeved t-shirt and lots of lotion on my legs. We loved Champagne Beach for snorkeling. There were different fish, coral and and so many tiny bubbles. It was fun to see how the bubbles come from the ground. The song 'Tiny Bubbles' kept running through my mind. As we were leaving, a local told us about a sea horse that we could see. He took me out to see it, in an area that was separate from the far left where most snorkelers go. His name was JT and was patient to swim out w/me and back. I was so tickled to see it. I could see it from the surface, but he dove down and took a picture for me up close. I loved it. There isn't really any beach, just a lot of rocks. Can be difficult to get in and out, but worth it. Maybe experience this beach and then take a bus or taxi to another beach.

• 3 weeks later...

there is no shade that i can remember at champagne except under umbrellas at the bar. and the shade which is at scotts head can be the manchineel tree (sp?). you don't want to be under it if it is raining or if it drips any sap...the stuff is poisonous - think poison oak. the tree is clearly marked with a big sign. there is a wall there where you can take off your over clothes and leave a towel, but i'm not so sure about shade. we go, enjoy the water and leave. i wear a tee or rash guard to protect my skin.

if you go to scotts head, the view from part way up the rock back toward land is really nice. i hear there are still some canons up at the top...i couldn't make it up that far.

We just returned from our cruise and snorkelled off the beach here. Just need to be careful getting in and out because shallow and slippery... recommend getting in and lying down right away instead of try to walk in too far. Great diversity of fish and coral... healthy, too! Highly recommend it... take aqua shoes!

Archived