Snorking suggestions in Grenada

jsf

Yes

Go to Magazine Beach or the beach @ the Magazine Restaurant; whichever you prefer calling it. Just past Grand Anse. Nice beach, good food and drink, and decent snorkeling right off shore.

Joe

It's a lovely beach, but... We were there in January, and it was quite rough, we didn't even get in. There was a tour group there from our ship, and one of those men actually had to be rescued, he got caught in undertow trying to get out of the water. One of the vendors pulled him out. The Aquarium restaurant is lovely, however we never got to taste the food. When we got there the restaurant was closed, and the bar was open. When the ship tour group left at 1:00 the bar closed. The restaurant never did open. The 4 of us were left on the beach with the vendors, who were just waiting for us to leave before they did, too.

One couple we knew went to the beach one cove over, a.little closer to the ship. I know it wasn't Grand Anse, but I don't know what it's called, but it seems to be more protected than Magazine (we could see the ship from the beach, but they couldn't). They had calmer water and reported good snorkeling.

• 1 year later...

TBN's hubby here...

Was at Morne Rouge on the 2/23 Eclipse Cruise. The beach is the next one beyond and adjacent to Grand Anise. There is plenty of shade, inexpensive chair rental and two places to get some food and drink. Very uncrowded the day we were there. Cab ride was a little more than to Grand Anise but I don't remember now what the price was.

Snorkeling was OK, but not spectacular, and was best pretty far out, on the left as you face the water. Far enough that I would be a bit comfortable going solo. There were some decent corals and fans, a good variety of fish, a starfish, some small (nonthreatening) sea snakes in the sandy area, conch, and some other stuff I don't remember right now. There is not equipment rental there so take your own.

Water was very calm the day we were there. This appears to be a well protected bay that would tend to be calm. The beach is sandy (not rocky or with lots of broken coral) so entry to the water is not a challenge.

Just a note about the water taxi. The 'nice man' at the water taxi desk has a sign and will tell you that it goes to this beach. He also told us that there was a spice market there when we said we wanted to buy some spices for a friend before going to the beach. Wrong and wrong! No spice market, and when we went to the water taxi pier they basically told us they had to have a full boat to go to Morne Rouge, but they would be happy to take us somewhere where we didn't want to go, and there would probably be a boat we could catch to Morne Rouge from there.

The bottom line on this is: walk directly past the water taxi desk and get a cab if you want to go to Morn Rouge or have a really large group that will 'interest' the water taxi folks. Best --arrange for the cab to return or you could probably get the restaurant(s) to call one.

We thought it was well worth the cost of the cab and will return.

Hope this helps...

Archived