How much "real" time do we have in Rome?

World Gallery

Kevin, I think your idea makes a lot of sense.

One other consideration is what to do with your things during the day in Rome. Unfortunately, the only Rome train station with a left luggage office is Termini (well, technically there are two because Tiburtina also has one, but you wouldn't go there from Civitavecchia), which I would normally say to avoid on a port day. In your case, however, it may be preferable to carrying your overnight bag around with you all day.

Just a thought: Have you talked to the tour company about the order? They are supposed to be the experts at doing this and you can't be the first one to have these questions. Maybe they can help give you another insight to your plans. You shouldn't have to be trying to figure out travel time etc. You should be thinking about the fun.

This is a very good point. I have read very good reviews about our tour company (All Around Italy) but when I look at the original plan we had at first, there is no way we could have done all of it. They didn't say anything to me about not having enough time. They just booked and agreed with the places I asked to see.

Also check on closing times for the catacombs. Which ones are you planning to tour - there are two or three along/near the old Appian Way.

Not sure which one. I was trying to figure that out. I asked our tour company and they suggest San Domitilla, saying it is a shorter tour (which is good since we are on a tight schedule) and more impressive. Is this a good choice?

The other two in the same neighborhood are:

• Catacombe di S.Callisto - Via Appia Antica, 110

Orario: 8.30-12; 14.30-17. In estate fino alle 17.30.

Chiuso il mercoledì e il mese di febbraio.

Translation: Open every day except Wednesday from 8:30 - 12 and from 2:30 - 5 PM. Closed for the month of February.

• Catacombe di S. Sebastiano - Via Appia Antica, 136

Orario: 8.30-12; 14.30-17. In estate fino alle 17.30.

Chiuso la domenica e il mese di novembre.

Translation: Open every day except Sunday from 8:30 - 12 and from 2:30 - 5 PM. Closed for the month of November.

I'll have to check my notes when I get home to see which is which, but I remember the tour as being about an hour.

I have a GREAT idea for you. Skip the catacombs and try to book the Scavi tour at the Vatican. This takes you several stories below the Basilica and shows the excavations into the ancient catacombs there. We thought it was much more fascinating anyway, and it will save you a ton of travel time on your short day. You can see the Basilica either before or after.

When we went to the catacombs, we had to wait 20-30 minutes for a tour in our language so you cannot just walk in and start looking around. On the Scavi, they book you for a slot specifically in your language, which would save hassle all the way around.

I have a GREAT idea for you. Skip the catacombs and try to book the Scavi tour at the Vatican. This takes you several stories below the Basilica and shows the excavations into the ancient catacombs there. We thought it was much more fascinating anyway, and it will save you a ton of travel time on your short day. You can see the Basilica either before or after.

When we went to the catacombs, we had to wait 20-30 minutes for a tour in our language so you cannot just walk in and start looking around. On the Scavi, they book you for a slot specifically in your language, which would save hassle all the way around.

I had wanted to do this but 3 of my 5 children are under 15 (they are 11,13, and 14). How strict are they about the age limit?

Last year we did a tour of the Catacombs of Santa Priscilla. They are located relatively near the Capuchin Crypt.

This may be a good option. They are closed on Monday and we are there on Tuesday. Do you remember how long the tour lasted and if there was a long time?

Any chance you can get off the ship earlier to give yourself extra time? I did a cruise this summer that docked at Civitavecchia. We were supposed to dock at 8, but they actually let passengers off the ship at 7 without making an announcement. I anticipated this would happen and was able to catch one of the earlier trains into Rome and was the first person (with wife and two young children in tow) into the Forum for the day.

If this is a common itinerary for the ship you are taking, check the roll calls of previous cruises and ask what time they started letting people off. I'm willing to bet you can depart at 7.

Glenn

I had wanted to do this but 3 of my 5 children are under 15 (they are 11,13, and 14). How strict are they about the age limit?

This was ridiculously difficult to find, but my interest in the Scavi tour for our group this summer was piqued (thanks Cathy), so I went searching, and found this page on the Holy See web site--sounds like they're serious about the 'nobody under 15 years' rule--so, unfortunately, we're out too (DS is 14, DD 13)--here's the link:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20090216_en.html

I just went through the virtual visit (link about half way down that page--it is amazing--WOW!! Almost makes me want to ditch the kids at a gelateria while DW and I do the tour! Oh well--next time, I guess.

Enjoy your day in Rome!

Kevin

Any chance you can get off the ship earlier to give yourself extra time? I did a cruise this summer that docked at Civitavecchia. We were supposed to dock at 8, but they actually let passengers off the ship at 7 without making an announcement. I anticipated this would happen and was able to catch one of the earlier trains into Rome and was the first person (with wife and two young children in tow) into the Forum for the day.

If this is a common itinerary for the ship you are taking, check the roll calls of previous cruises and ask what time they started letting people off. I'm willing to bet you can depart at 7.

Glenn

Glenn:

How did you get out of the port area--I thought that one "had" to take the bus shuttle (which, in our experience, starts whenever the drivers feel like it) to the port gate (from where we can walk to the train).

Thanks!

Kevin

Glenn - That is a great idea! We are in Naples the day before so it is not like we have a lot of traveling to do to get to Rome. I will keep this in mind.

Kevin - I need to go check out that link. I read about it a while ago when I first starting researching but then realized it was probably impossible with the ages of my kids. I guess I could always send my husband to St. Peter's with the younger kids and do Scavi with my 15 and 18 year old. Of course this would mean I can't do both Scavi and St. Peter's but I am learning that one can't do everything with one day in Rome!

The Scavi tour is subject to being approved and they give you a time to be there. They do not take into account your touring plans. I requested tickets and am thrilled to have been accepted. But, they scheduled it during our Vatican Tour (which I mentioned in detail in my request). I am currently working on changing the day of our Vatican tour with Context.

We went to the Catacombs of Santa Domatillo when we were in Rome. We went via bus. It's in a residential neighborhood. I do not recall any age restrictions there.

Glenn:

How did you get out of the port area--I thought that one "had" to take the bus shuttle (which, in our experience, starts whenever the drivers feel like it) to the port gate (from where we can walk to the train).

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

There were several shuttle buses waiting outside the ship at 7. The extra hour made a huge difference. We were able to tour the Forum, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel and St. Peters in a single day--all on our own without a tour company.

Glenn

Kevin,

There were several shuttle buses waiting outside the ship at 7. The extra hour made a huge difference. We were able to tour the Forum, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel and St. Peters in a single day--all on our own without a tour company.

Glenn

Which ship were you on? I am wondering if all cruise lines do things differently? We are on NCL.

Which ship were you on? I am wondering if all cruise lines do things differently? We are on NCL.

We were on Carnival Magic. I've also taken NCL in the past and they've allowed people off earlier than the posted time.

Glenn

We were on Carnival Magic. I've also taken NCL in the past and they've allowed people off earlier than the posted time.

Glenn

I just checked St. Peter's website and they open at 7:00AM so now I am really hoping to get off early! I am wondering, would we beat the big crowds at St Peter's and possibly get to climb the tower, which we had ruled out because of time?

If I called NCL, do you think they would give me an honest answer about the chance of getting off early?

In my thinking (and I don't understand the whole process), we are in Naples the day before, which is not far and it is an Italian port. Does the ship have to clear customs again?

The ship does not clear customs coming from Naples to Rome (Civitavecchia). NCL will not be able to give you any better information as they won't know in advance - all they'll give you is the party line, the time they are scheduled to arrive.

On our NCL cruise two summers ago we were in port a little early and the gangplank was down within minutes. We were downstairs and ready to go the minute they let us off.

Archived