How much "real" time do we have in Rome?

World Gallery

As we are booking our "full day" tour in Rome, I realized that our tour company has us down for a pick up at 8:30 then leaving Rome 3:30. Our ship docks at 8:00 and we sail at 7:00. They said that they leave Rome at 3:30 to make sure they can get you back in time because it is rush hour. To leave Rome 3.5 hours before ship departure seem a bit too much. Is this normal? I am hoping to meet our driver at 8:30 (can you get off right after docking?) and leave Rome at 4:30, thinking we will arrive back by at least 6:00, with 30 minute to spare. We are traveling with our 5 kids ages 11-18.

These are the things we are hoping to fit in and not rush through them:

Colusseum

Pantheon

Catacombs

Cappuccin Crypt

St Peter's - Just this, not the whole Vatican

Trevi Fountain

quick lunch

Car services depend on their reputation for always getting passengers back to the ship on time, so they are unlikely to stretch the day for you and risk that.

Your day is completely possible, although the catacombs are a bit of an outlier for a first visit to Rome. Any particular reason you want to see that?

What port are you in the day before Rome? If it's another Euro zone port, then you might be able get off the ship earlier, I'd have them get there at 8:00, an extra half hour would be nice. &, yes, heading back at 3:30 is a good idea.

I'd skip the catacombs & spend a bit of time in the Forum.

From the historic area of Rome to the ship (thru the maze of the port at Civitavecchia) is about 1.5 hours. Add to the mix of rush hour and the possibility of an accident or other delay (we had one delay us on arriving in Rome from the airport to our hotel) and you are cutting it close.

As eurocruiser stated, they do not want any customers missing the ship. We usually try to plan to be back an hour before all aboard (which is usually a half hour before sail away). While Rome has much to see and you want to fit it all in, sometimes its just not prudent.

But then, you have to ask yourself - am I prepared to get to the next port IF we miss the ship ? Sometimes that is not a hard thing and sometimes it can be a very very big thing .......

Car services depend on their reputation for always getting passengers back to the ship on time, so they are unlikely to stretch the day for you and risk that.

Your day is completely possible, although the catacombs are a bit of an outlier for a first visit to Rome. Any particular reason you want to see that?

The reason for the Catacombs is because we are doing a "Christian Rome" tour as part of the day and this is a main site for it I guess. Plus, I think my kids will enjoy getting to see these. I have seen them on a travel channel show. I am trying to connect the day meaning, the morning, we will focus on 'Christian Rome" then "Ancient Rome" so that my kids can understand the whole picture, as opposed to hopping around just "seeing things".

Of course we wanted a stop at the fountain if we have time.

I can not speak to the timing of your transportation, but we did visit the catacombs of Santa Domatillo last year (my son was 13) and we were both fascinated by it. We too, met with quite a bit of resistance from others who wondered why we would bother with them. To each his own. We are very glad we witnessed it.

I too am the type of person where I want to "cram in" everything I can. But, I remind myself that while cruising it would be sooooo much more miserable to miss the ship and experience the ensuing hassles than missing one site.

Lastly, don't underestimate the scenery during your drive to and from the port. I don't know if it will have as great an impact for you, but we live in S. Florida where there are no hills, let alone mountains. We have no deciduous trees, rolling grass or beautiful villages. My son was fascinated by the scenery and the differences from our own.

In 2010 we used Romeinlimo and the last stop for all their tours was the Vatican. As we assembled at the meeting point, the owner, Duman, was desperately trying to get everyone quickly into their respective vans to be on the road. I think it was about 4:30 p.m. and we arrived back at the ship before 6:30 p.m. for a 7 p.m. departure. Our driver remarked that they like to leave Rome by 4 p.m. but we had encountered a huge traffic jam on the way in and Romeinlimo wanted to make sure we got to see everything on the itinerary.

So 3:30 seems a little early.

Thanks everyone. I now see that I will have to modify. It really is very hard to do Rome this way. Oh well, we will make the best of it. How does this sound? I used Google maps to see where things are located so we don't waste time traveling. We will still try our best to make it make sense to the kids:

Leave at 8:00 or 8:30 - As soon as we can get off of the ship.

10:00 - 11:00- Catacombs - they close from 12 - 2 so we need to do first

11:30 - 1:00 - Colusseum and Roman Forum

Quick Lunch - 1:00 - 1:30, fast food on the streets

These 3 below from 1:30 - 2:45

Capuchins Crypt

Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

3:00 - 4:00 - St. Peter's (this is all we will do at the Vatican)

4:00 - drive back

It would make more sense geographically to reorder these three:

Capuchin Crypt (Santa Maria della Concezione)

Trevi Fountain

Pantheon

It's been a few years since I've been to the crypt at Santa Maria della Concezione, but it used to close each day between noon and 3 PM, so it may not be open when you want to see it.

Edited to add

I just found the website and it does say it closes from noon to 3 PM each day, and is closed all day on Thursdays. Web site here: http://www.cappucciniviaveneto.it/cappuccini_ing.html

You have left 15 minutes between Trevi and St. Peters.......

Remember - depending on what time of year you will be there - there could be a long long line to get thru security to get inside St. Peters.

We were there in early November on our 3rd visit to Rome (this is off season) at about 2:00 pm after doing the Coliseum/Forum in the morning...... and there was a huge line snaking all around the square..... since we had already done a private tour on our first visit we skipped it.

So by putting this last, be aware that this might be the item you end up skipping - just because you can't get in in time.

And just to show how unpredictable it is, we were also there in early November and we walked in with less than a 5 minute wait--so you really never know.

Thats my point. You never know......so if St. Peters is a must than I would change up the order for the day......

Thanks everyone. I am glad that I am realizing all of this now so that my expectations can be adjusted before the trip and I won't be disappointed.

"You have left 15 minutes between Trevi and St. Peters......." - I figured I needed drive time since it seems every minute counts.

I am wondering if it would be a better idea to put St. Peters first then. Assuming we can get there by 9:45, would that be a good time? We would need to be in and out by 11:00 to make it to the Catacombs, which close from 12 - 2 (do they all close from 12-2? I am realizing that there are several to choose from.)

This is really crazy. Without a detailed plan, it seems you would waste a lot of precious time.

Thanks everyone.

Or would this be even a better option, avoiding the places that close from noon to 2:00 or 3:00:

1st St Peter's

2nd Capuchins Crypt

3rd Pantheon

4th Trevi Fountain

5th Coliseum

6th Catacombs

I was thinking that putting the Catacombs last was putting us the farthest away from the cruise dock but when I check on Google maps, they are both 59 minutes away from Civitavecchia.

Thanks everyone. I am glad that I am realizing all of this now so that my expectations can be adjusted before the trip and I won't be disappointed.

"You have left 15 minutes between Trevi and St. Peters......." - I figured I needed drive time since it seems every minute counts.

I am wondering if it would be a better idea to put St. Peters first then. Assuming we can get there by 9:45, would that be a good time? We would need to be in and out by 11:00 to make it to the Catacombs, which close from 12 - 2 (do they all close from 12-2? I am realizing that there are several to choose from.)

This is really crazy. Without a detailed plan, it seems you would waste a lot of precious time.

Thanks everyone.

I think putting St Peter's first is best, as the queue is so unpredictable. At the very end of this

you can get an idea of it at 10.30 on Saturday in June. We went there at 9.10 when there was only a 10 minute wait.

You go through airport-style security checks and they are very strict on the dress code - entrance is free, but shorts, bare shoulders and miniskirts are not permitted.

But overall I like your plan. Are you booking the Colosseum entry time ?

Good luck ! Tony

Just a thought: Have you talked to the tour company about the order? They are supposed to be the experts at doing this and you can't be the first one to have these questions. Maybe they can help give you another insight to your plans. You shouldn't have to be trying to figure out travel time etc. You should be thinking about the fun.

Thanks everyone.

What day of the week will you be in Rome?

The tough thing for planning is nobody can accurately predict what the lines will be like on the day and time you'll be there.

You have 3 sites that require the most time (St. Peter's, Coliseum/Forum, Catacombs.) I'd plan to do the least important one last and be ready to have a quicker look at that site. Only your family can decide which is least important.

2nd Capuchins Crypt

3rd Pantheon

4th Trevi Fountain

5th Coliseum

This is a minor detail and one that I would expect your driver would correct on the spot, but the Trevi Fountain is only about five blocks from the Capuchin Crypt, so in this scheme it would be third and the Pantheon fourth.

Thanks everyone.

A lot of people aren't planning to visit sites so spread out and with specific timing requirements (e.g., the catacombs) on a one-day visit with not a lot of extra time!

One other thing to keep in mind: depending on which catacombs you end up going to, I know at least one of them (probably more) have their own tour guide and tours. You can't just walk in and walk through on your own whenever you arrive.

One other thing to keep in mind: depending on which catacombs you end up going to, I know at least one of them (probably more) have their own tour guide and tours. You can't just walk in and walk through on your own whenever you arrive.

That was my recollection as well.

Edited to add:

I just checked on the City of Rome's tourism web site to get the hours for the two most visited catacombs, San Sebastiano and San Callisto. Here's what I found:

• Catacombe di S.Callisto - Via Appia Antica, 110

Orario: 8.30-12; 14.30-17. In estate fino alle 17.30.

Chiuso il mercoledì e il mese di febbraio.

Translation: Open every day except Wednesday from 8:30 - 12 and from 2:30 - 5 PM. Closed for the month of February.

• Catacombe di S. Sebastiano - Via Appia Antica, 136

Orario: 8.30-12; 14.30-17. In estate fino alle 17.30.

Chiuso la domenica e il mese di novembre.

Translation: Open every day except Sunday from 8:30 - 12 and from 2:30 - 5 PM. Closed for the month of November.

WorldCruiser:

Maybe a crazy thought, but...

We're on HAL in July-August, and have the same order of ports as you (Naples-Rome-Livorno). We're seriously thinking of skipping the ship that night and proceeding directly to Florence, and doing this:

--Civitavecchia-Rome by train

--day in Rome

--train to Florence (dep 1710 Termini--arr 1833 Florence SMN)

--very central hotel near the Duomo--10 min walk from the train station.

--Dinner, evening in Florence (whether one has been, or not, the evenings can be magical in Florence)

--early start, day in Florence

--1628 train to Livorno, arrive 1750, for an 8 pm departure.

Cons: costs of a train fare, hotel, dinner, lose dinner & evening on ship

Pros: a little Umbrian/Tuscan scenery on the train, dinner & evening in Florence, early start in Florence, save time and cost of transportation back to Civitavecchia and from Livorno to Florence (about 1.5 hours each).

We have never done this before, but I understand it is doable, once ok'd by the cruise line, and some paperwork on board so they know you're playing hookey that night.

Kevin

Archived