ATM availability in Alaska

GatorHead

Every place the boat goes you'll find an ATM. You may need to ask where

there at but they are there. In Alaska we also use US Currency. Have fun

and don't forget to tip the tour guides....:)

yes, there are atm's in each port. on very busy days with alot of ships docked that day i would not be sure of any cash being in them though. just remember if you are in a port on a sunday the banks wont be open to cash in travelers checks. i found this out in skagway :rolleyes: when i did not want to wait in line at the pursors desk to cash in some for fun money. me and a few other passengers felt pretty silly when we saw the bank was closed. i think there was a atm in the entrance. the next trip i will get my travelers checks cashed in the night before to make sure i have plenty of money for the port.

Can anyone tell me of the availability of ATM's in Alaska? Do I need to bring my wheelbarrow of cash, or are there a sufficient amount of ATM's? Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated. ;)

bring the wheelbarrow anyway, I'll help you push it around. Not to mention help you empty it.

Island Princess May 7th.

John

There are also very few places in Alaska that don't take credit cards. A lot of Alaskans have an Alaska Airlines credit card that they use for everything. Those miles come in real handy in January when you want to see some warmth and sunshine.

In Alaska we also use US Currency.

And they also speak English. :) (Grew up in Alaska and after I moved south was asked, more than once, if I spoke English and if the U.S. was any different than where I grew up).

Enjoy the cruise. Wish I was cruising Alaska.

ATM's are everywhere up here. There will be an ATM, outside an outhouse, on a hiking trail I swear....Just kidding HAHA :p but they are in abundance! But...we have very limited Bank of America, etc. banks here like you would find in the lower 48 (AK term meaning the continental US)....Alaska USA FCU rules the board here along with Wells-Fargo so you might end up paying the $2.50 fee if your bank doesn't own the machine so you might want to think of that and pull as much out at one time as possible!! Traveler's checks are excepted almost everywhere you would need to spend money so I would think about getting those!! Plus if you happen to lose em' they are more secured of course. Not like Alaskans are pick-pocketers but there is so much movement when in port it would be easy to leave your wallet somewhere or something....good luck and have fun!! :)

Archived