a NEW passport question

emilygrace

Has anyone renewed two passports at the same time, like for a married couple? I am just wondering if each passport has to be sent in separately with the appropriate form filled out and the payment, or can you put two in one envelope? I know to send it certified and this is why I was hoping to send them together.

Thanks!

We sent ours in together about 3 years ago. It worked fine. They were mailed back separately though.

Darned. I already bought two padded envelopes.

Well, going on the theory of

A) don't confuse the bureaucrats and...

B) don't tempt fate by risking losing both (even certified mail)

I think I will still send separately. The extra cost will be a bit of insurance.

I filled out the paperwork for both at the same time (at the post office). They took our pictures there too. But they insisted that they had to go in separate mailings (note: I didn't bother with certified ... just sent it first class). Mine was a renewal, my daughter's was considered a new application because it was her first adult one. Of course, if it's a new application, why did she need to send in both a certified birth certificate AND her previous passport? Makes no sense.

If you go online at the State Department passport site, you can download a renewal application form. You can also go online and check the status of your renewal. I sent my application in about 14 days ago, checked the status and found that it was "in process." I provided my e-mail address and two days later got an e-mail saying that the passport had been mailed that day and when I could exect to receive it. It was one of the most efficient activities I've ever encountered with the Federal government.

Archived