Info pertinent to Canadian cruisers for Skagway

lucywestie

I had looked at renting a Jeep through a Skagway company, and driving out of the town and across the border back into Canada [route recommended by the company themselves]. The route they give is approx 170 miles round trip but because of this rule it drops down to something like 25 miles.

Turns out that if you are a Canadian citizen you can rent a vehicle in Skagway but you are not allowed to drive that vehicle across the border back into Canada. This severely curtails the amount of driving you can do and the scenery to be seen.

If you have an American or another nationality in your party then they can rent the vehicle and its not a problem.

Last time I recommended a company on here the thread got pulled so I won't mention them here but they gave me all this info when I emailed them with a question. Nice that there are some honest businesses out there that are willing to go that extra mile to give you all the info.

In their reply they also recommended some other options/tours which was good of them.

Thought this would be of interest to any Canucks that are going to be stopping in Skagway this coming season

Pete

Last summer the Avis office had a prominently posted sign warning Canadians of this issue.

Thats all well and good but if you are planning your day trips months in advance its not much help on the day.

I was just impressed that the company replied to me with other suggestions. Shows good business but also customer service.

Pete

Thats all well and good but if you are planning your day trips months in advance its not much help on the day.

Avis may indeed forewarn Canadians who are reserving cars with them. Since we are Americans they would have had no need to forewarn us. I still thought it was a good idea to have a prominent sign posted.

In the past I have read the reason why this is a problem for Canadians. As I remember, the problem isn't with either Alaska state statutes for US federal statutes. Do I remember correctly that the problems rests with Canadian car import statutes or regulations?

In the past I have read the reason why this is a problem for Canadians. As I remember, the problem isn't with either Alaska state statutes for US federal statutes. Do I remember correctly that the problems rests with Canadian car import statutes or regulations?

Exactly. It is a Canadian law that forbids Canadians from driving vehicles rented in the US with US registration/license plates from driving those vehicles into Canada.

To get around this problem, Canadians going on a cruise can simply join their roll call and make arrangements to share a rental car with a driver of another nationality.

I know that Canadians are not allowed to drive rental cars into Canada, but does anyone know if they are allowed to drive them inside Canada?

For example, if an American rents the car and drives it across the border, would the Canadian then legally be allowed to share the driving once they are in Canada?

TIA

To get around this problem, Canadians going on a cruise can simply join their roll call and make arrangements to share a rental car with a driver of another nationality.

I know that Canadians are not allowed to drive rental cars into Canada, but does anyone know if they are allowed to drive them inside Canada?

For example, if an American rents the car and drives it across the border, would the Canadian then legally be allowed to share the driving once they are in Canada?

TIA

AND how do you determine liability???? There is NO way, with any rental I rent am I going to have anyone else drive the car, the contract is going to be linked to ONE person, (married couple), one insurer.

This is an archaic law that was imposed to protect the Canadian auto industry much like the American PVSA and gets discussed in this forum 3 or 4 times each season. Interestingly enough Canadian customs officers do have the discretion to permit a Canadian to bring in a rented US registered automobile in "hardship" considitons....I've done it, however, a jaunt into the British Columbia or the Yukon doesn't qualify as "hardship". I am not a lawyer but I suspect if a Canadian was involved in major accident driving a US plated car in Canada, which is in violation of the law, an insurance company would try very hard deny the claim.

Archived