Where to get the best seafood?

Lotsasmiles

My DH is mad keen on all types of seafood - from fish n chips to lobster to king crab and everything in between :)

We are on the Amsterdam for the 14 day cruise and would love to know the best places to taste the best seafood that Alaska can offer.

Would love any recommendations

Thanks

If you provide a list of ports you will receive lots of recommendations for specific restaurants. In Alaska most restaurants, even diners, will have at least wild Alaskan salmon and halibut on the menu.

Ketchikan, Juneau (yum - king crab :)), Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak & Sitka

Thanks

Yup, Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau, near the library/parking garage/pier. FANTASTIC jumbo crab legs, excellent crab soup, and delicious crab cakes. Not inexpensive, but oh so worth it! We always stop at Tracy's for a meal when we're in Juneau, would highly recommend it!

I've been on the Amsterdam 14 day itinerary twice, and have enjoyed some great eats in Homer - right on the Spit, the name escapes me right now, sorry - it has great big windows overlooking the water and is right on the little boardwalk that runs along the Spit. DH raved about the Kachemach Bay oysters he had, while I enjoyed fantastic fresh fish and chips. Yum!

This past Aug., we rented a car in Homer and drove out to Dr. Linda Chamberlain's Howling Husky Homestead for a tour. She recommended we stop at Fritz Creek for some great homemade food - and she wasn't kidding! Best homemade pizza ever (after all that rich food on the ship, a change of pace is always nice!), and my nephew enjoyed a halibut sandwich that he said could not be beat! If you have time, go to the Homer Brewery (great brews and excellent Alaskan Chai Tea - just had to replenish my supply via US mail!), the Bear Creek Winery has fantastic fruit wines that you can take back on the ship, and the Meadery also provides some great ciders and meads made from fresh picked Alaskan fruit - try the salmonberry mead - yum!

In Sitka, we like to have reindeer sausage at the little stand/food court right at the traffic light in town directly up the street from the harbor. Yum!

In Kodiak, we had wonderful fried clams from a bar/restaurant right at the waterfront at the little shopping area. There is a great native market there on the day the Amsterdam is in port - be sure to stop in. Wonderful handmade crafts, a great place to get some reasonably priced Alaskan souveniers if you have a mind to. Stop at the Kodiak Brewing Company on the walk back to the ship - I'm not a beer drinker, but niece and nephew enjoyed a sampler of several brews and were very impressed.

Enjoy - this itinerary is amazing, and I'm so sorry they are discontinuing it after 2012. I had been hoping to get a third go at it, but looks like that may not happen.:(

Say hi to Armando at the Sea View Bar on the aft of the Lido, and the always smiling Jesse (the man that never sleeps) - tell 'em Lynda, Allie and Bill said hey!

Wow - thanks for that! I can see a whole new wardrobe having to be purchased so I will have something to wear on the trip home that won't be splitting at the seams!:D

For sure we will say hi from you - yes, it does seem a shame that they are not doing this cruise again - we are so lucky that we decided that 2012 was the year to do the 'trip of a lifetime' - tho I gather that many people have said that and then returned to Alaska several times :D

In Juneau, on the pier (you can see it from the ship) is a great seafood restaurant. We were sitting on board having a glass of wine and saw it, went off the ship and had the best salmon and halibut ever! It was 11 years ago and we still remember it fondly. Looking forward to going again in June.

Hangar on the Warf--here's a link.

http://hangar.hangaronthewharf.com/

Indigo

Ketchikan, Juneau (yum - king crab :)), Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak & Sitka

Thanks

I have not been there, but The Office in Hoonah (Icy Strait) is supposed to be very good.

For deep-fried halibut, if you rent a car in Juneau, the best is The Sandbar and Grill. The Twisted Fish's deep-fried halibut is okay, but otherwise I'd be careful in the restaurants. It's often just the stuff from Costco! Be obnoxious and ask if they bread it themselves.

A friend's husband got in a big argument with the manager at The Red Dog Saloon at what exactly the 'rockfish' was on their menu since that can mean several species, some really good, some junk fish. Sad to say, tourists are often seen as plump chickens to be quickly plucked and it's a shame with all the wonderful seafood available here.

Be forewarned though, the price of halibut is sky high and from the continued restrictions on fishing limits, should only be going up.

Sad to say, tourists are often seen as plump chickens to be quickly plucked and it's a shame with all the wonderful seafood available here.:

Oh yeh - I quite understand - I am from Cairns in Australia and see exactly the same thing! A 'tourist' town sometimes seems to be licence to rip off not only the tourists, but the locals as well if you are not careful. Such a shame when there is soooo much good stuff out there - hence my question.

Thanks for your input - we will ask lots of questions :D

I.

For deep-fried halibut, if you rent a car in Juneau, the best is The Sandbar and Grill. .

i can make public trans ( = the bus ) work from hotel/meeting valley/downtown, but last fall i stressed out, rented a car, and drove everyone to the Sandbox for a lunch of fish and chips. the meeting in the afternoon was so much better. i also bought beer.

okay, so i did indeed hit cosco, fred's, and homedepot. no sir, that $100 worth of lamb in my checked baggage is only perishable if you lose my bag on a direct flight.

Archived