Am I crazy for wanting to cruise with a baby on one of the "luxury" lines???

goose&mav

One of my questions is, on regent, for example, will they purée food for the baby and have a High chair and pack n play or crib available for use? Please don't suggest posting on the regent board as they can be very negative about even the idea of a baby on board...I was basically told that a luxury line is no place for a baby.

Thanks for the help! Glad I found this board!

I agree with the people who say that a luxury line is no place for a baby. That said - you need to ask Regent or whatever line you are considering the specific questions that you have asked.

I can guarantee that most of the people on the cruise will make you feel uncomfortable for bringing your child and many will make their feelings very clear. The reason is that they have paid for an adult experience and when you child behaves as all normal infants behave (fussing, noisy, and crying), they will be very rightly annoyed.

DON

Your child is still basically luggage and, personally, I think doing an upscale cruise while you still can is a great idea. (It might not be the best option for family travel for many years to come because older children need more activities!)

We've been on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruises with babies and toddlers. Not sure about the luxury lines, but we loved traveling with the kids when they were so young.

Activities:

Our children, when under age 2, stayed with us the entire time and traveled by stroller around the ship. We dressed them adorably and everyone simply cooed at them. We had no complaints or problems at all.

In fact, Celebrity had a daily morning activity with parents and babies--like a little playgroup with baby toys and activities. Royal Caribbean had a phenomenal kids club but our kids were preschool age when we went on that cruise. I think both of them had boxes of toys that you could sign out and "borrow" for a night.

Stateroom:

The cruise lines gave us cribs for our stateroom--while tight, it was doable. If you can swing it, get the largest room and a balcony if you can. That way, you can simply read and relax when it's nap time. Personally, I had my best and most restful vacation (counting land vacations too) when my youngest was 6 months and the twins were age 3.

Travel:

The children, when under age 2, stayed with us the entire time and traveled by stroller around the ship. We used the backpack for off ship activities. (We bought a stroller that converted to backpack for the trip.)

Meal timing:

We ate the late dinner. Sounds counter-intuitive perhaps, but our little one basically slept through the entire meal in his stroller and dh and I had actual conversations over dinner. On several nights, we hired a sitter, put the baby to bed, and went to dinner and a show.

Food:

Our children do not have food allergies, so I can't speak to that. I do remember that breakfast was always fine (cheerios, eggs etc.) There is always fruit available and soft ice cream etc. Lunch they usually had pasta.

Dinner is usually a choice among several options and our kids ate whatever we did--soup, rice, cheese, meat, veggies, fish--just that we cut it up into little pieces. There are so many options that you should be fine.

Do bring lots of wipes both for the baby and antiseptic to wipe off surfaces.

Good luck with your decision.

Traveling with a small child isnt always easy but its doable if you set your expectations realistically.

We took our oldest to Italy for 2 weeks when she was 6 months old and now that she's three she's been on 3 cruises so far. Our youngest will just about be 1 when we cruise next.

First 2 cruises we were in concierge class balcony cabins on Celebrity which wasnt ideal. My wife and I would have to hang out on the balcony util DD was in deep sleep. Then we had to tip toe around the cabin in the dark. 1st cruise we were paired up with another family with a little girl at dinnee which worked REALLY well since the girls hit it off. 2nd cruise our table mates (1 middle age couple) ditched us after 2 nights so we ended up eating alone at a table for 6. On our last cruise on NCL we booked a 2 bedroom family suite and LOVED it so much, we're doing it again in Jan. My wife and I loved having more room to spread out and being able to move around freely while DD slept. DD loved having her own room because she "was a big girl". The butler was also helpful for managing small errands for us while spending time with DD. The suite also had a cordless phone that worked anywhere on the ship and made it super easy for the Kids Club to find us once when she had an accident. We were sure we were NOT freestyle people but we found we liked the flexibility depending on how we all felt each night.

I'd second the recommendation to go mass market and go with the suite life!

Sent from my mobile phone.

I can guarantee that most of the people on the cruise will make you feel uncomfortable for bringing your child and many will make their feelings very clear. The reason is that they have paid for an adult experience and when you child behaves as all normal infants behave (fussing, noisy, and crying), they will be very rightly annoyed.

DON

Until cruise lines designate adults only cruises (such as some airlines have for their business class), children have every right to go on a ship especially if we're paying for their right to.

Having said that, parents do have to ensure children are well behaved. As for an infant, that entails making sure the baby is not overtired or overstimulated, which may be tough on a port intensive cruise, but sounds like it may be possible, given the right circumstances.

Thanks to momma23boyz and mobster75 for the advice and encouragement.

I could be wrong, but I think that I'm the only person who posted who has actually cruised with Regent. I am a young grandmother who loves kids, and I certainly don't mind having them on board. I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations that Regent is "family friendly" or that there are going to be many guests your age on board.

I could be wrong, but I think that I'm the only person who posted who has actually cruised with Regent. I am a young grandmother who loves kids, and I certainly don't mind having them on board. I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations that Regent is "family friendly" or that there are going to be many guests your age on board.

Klauer- Thank you for posting! I won't expect that regent will be family friendly. Hopefully you will be on a cruise with us if we ever do sail regent. At this point, I'd just settle for others around us being tolerant and polite.:)

We took our DD (then 6 months old) on the Paul Gauguin Tahitian Islands cruise when it was still with Regent and had a great experience. If you are willing to travel with a little one, then by all means, go for it!!

The cruise provided us a pack & play cot in the room. We kept DD in her stroller during meals in the dining room with us each night, so we never asked for a high chair.

We got lots of smiles from other passengers on our trip, and many of the staff loved having a baby on board (most of them don't get to see their families for months on end, so they like playing with a little one). Several of the dining room staff would even carry her around and play with her during meals.

We travel with our children (now 5 and 3) all the time because of my husband's job, often staying in high-end places without many children around. We always try to be extremely respectful of other guests and take the child away if they are loud or crying. Sometimes it is a bit of work, but I love to travel, and I enjoy getting to share those experiences with my children as well.

(And I'll also give a thumbs-up to renting a condo/house for vacations - very user-friendly for the early toddler years!!)

We took our DD (then 6 months old) on the Paul Gauguin Tahitian Islands cruise when it was still with Regent and had a great experience. If you are willing to travel with a little one, then by all means, go for it!!

The cruise provided us a pack & play cot in the room. We kept DD in her stroller during meals in the dining room with us each night, so we never asked for a high chair.

We got lots of smiles from other passengers on our trip, and many of the staff loved having a baby on board (most of them don't get to see their families for months on end, so they like playing with a little one). Several of the dining room staff would even carry her around and play with her during meals.

We travel with our children (now 5 and 3) all the time because of my husband's job, often staying in high-end places without many children around. We always try to be extremely respectful of other guests and take the child away if they are loud or crying. Sometimes it is a bit of work, but I love to travel, and I enjoy getting to share those experiences with my children as well.

(And I'll also give a thumbs-up to renting a condo/house for vacations - very user-friendly for the early toddler years!!)

Thanks stensy! What kind of stroller did you bring--an umbrella type or full size?

I will second (third) going the suite route.

Last summer we did the Epic with our kids (4 and 6) and we did the courtyard suite. It was fantastic!!! Plenty of room, separate room for the kids, and the suite perks were awesome (the concierge was able to walk us right off the ship at ports.)

We also did private tours as our group of 10 had 4 kids ages 1-6. It was nice to be able to go on tours but at our own pace (and to have someone find us restrooms in Rome for the kids was priceless!)

I would strongly recommend an umbrella stroller. A full-size stroller is just too bulky to navigate and store. The umbrella stroller is all we bring.

Thanks stensy! What kind of stroller did you bring--an umbrella type or full size?

My husband and I have been on many cruises including Regent, Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, etc. We have taken my now 5-year old on 6 cruises already, he started when he was 13 months old. I am all for traveling with kids. However, with that said, I really do not feel that Regent is a good cruise line for a baby. For one, there are absolutely no child-care facilities, no high chairs, no kids clubs, no kids pool, no kids food. Second, and probably more important, the passengers on Regent averaged 60-70 years old. My husband and I are in our mid-30s and we felt 30 years younger than 95% of the passengers. People dress up for dinner, they like their quiet conversations in the lounges, the ship just feels quiet. The only kids on the sailing were two twins, maybe 5-6 years old. One day they were playing by the pool and it was so quiet they they got a few looks just for being kids. Even the buffet looks like a fancy restaurant and is also very quiet and subdued. I just don't think that a one-year old, even the best behaved, will get a warm reception from the other passengers. I know when my son was on his first cruise he had just learned to walk and we spent a lot of time chasing him around the pool area, the lounges and the dining room. Kids at that age just do not like to sit still and be quiet. They also wear diapers which means they cannot go in the pool and since there is nothing else kid-related on Regent you will have very limited onboard activities with your child. Don't get me wrong, you can certainly go and have a nice cruise but I do not think it will be money well spent. In my opinion, you will be much better off going on RCI and getting a top-category cabin/suite. They offer in-room babysitting, lots of facilities for kids and if you are in a suite you will still have that "luxury" feel. Ot go on Celebrity, their ships in my opinion are far superior to Regent's ships which are rather old and stay in Aqua class where you will be truly pampered but will still have some kid-friendly facilities.

I agree with the wonderful advice that others have given. We have traveled a lot with our now 3 year old (3 cruises, multiple flights/trips, condo stays, the auto train), and while I definitely understand the desire for luxury, what others say is true: luxury is defined differently when you have a little one with you. Rather than paying the high prices for Regent, maybe spring for a suite on a more child-oriented ship. Might I suggest Disney or Royal Caribbean (only certain ships), simply so that you can have use of a pool? Other lines do not offer pool availability for those in diapers. Certain Royal Caribbean ships also offer child care centers (Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Liberty), and while I understand you want to keep your child with you, it sure can be luxurious to have an hour off - that is real luxury during parenthood! Cunard is also supposed to have excellent child care for young ones, but no pool for little ones. Alternatively, I like the suggestion to pay to bring a nanny or perhaps a willing relative to help care for the child so that you can have a break here and there. You might want to consider going to a resort like Beaches, which are luxurious yet child friendly, and where you can rent assistance (nannies) if needed. Finally, I will also agree that the house/condo rental is an excellent way to go at this age. Relaxing, spacious, you can keep your own food, and not have to worry that a crying baby is keeping others up (if you rent a house). Perhaps a house at the beach? Whatever you wind up doing, have a great time! If you can get a little rest and relaxation for yourself, that will be a great vacation. Happy travels!

It has been our experience that it is not the cruiseline, but the patrons that may or may not be family friendly. We have travelled with our kids from the start -- our daughter had 4 cruises under her belt before she was 3. Even on Princess and Carnival we would encounter folks who would not hesitate to tell us that a cruiseship was no place for a baby. And ours have been well-behaved -- we don't keep fussing children in the dining room, we don't expect to be catered to, and we still encountered people who would close elevator doors on us to avoid being in an elevator with a stroller! It takes all kinds.

While I loved cruising with the kids, it was definitely a different cruise experience than when we cruised pre-kids. We had to eat earlier, and one of us had to retire earlier. My husband and I took turns having the night out, so that the kids could stay on schedule, which for us was cruicial in keeping them in fabulous spirits.

Now that the kids are 3 and 5, we find all-inclusive vacations more appropriate -- for us. The kids want a pool and not much more. We find the pools on cruiseships small and crowded. Once they're a bit older, we'll be back though!

My husband and I have been on many cruises including Regent, Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, etc. We have taken my now 5-year old on 6 cruises already, he started when he was 13 months old. I am all for traveling with kids. However, with that said, I really do not feel that Regent is a good cruise line for a baby. For one, there are absolutely no child-care facilities, no high chairs, no kids clubs, no kids pool, no kids food. Second, and probably more important, the passengers on Regent averaged 60-70 years old. My husband and I are in our mid-30s and we felt 30 years younger than 95% of the passengers. People dress up for dinner, they like their quiet conversations in the lounges, the ship just feels quiet. The only kids on the sailing were two twins, maybe 5-6 years old. One day they were playing by the pool and it was so quiet they they got a few looks just for being kids. Even the buffet looks like a fancy restaurant and is also very quiet and subdued. I just don't think that a one-year old, even the best behaved, will get a warm reception from the other passengers. I know when my son was on his first cruise he had just learned to walk and we spent a lot of time chasing him around the pool area, the lounges and the dining room. Kids at that age just do not like to sit still and be quiet. They also wear diapers which means they cannot go in the pool and since there is nothing else kid-related on Regent you will have very limited onboard activities with your child. Don't get me wrong, you can certainly go and have a nice cruise but I do not think it will be money well spent. In my opinion, you will be much better off going on RCI and getting a top-category cabin/suite. They offer in-room babysitting, lots of facilities for kids and if you are in a suite you will still have that "luxury" feel. Ot go on Celebrity, their ships in my opinion are far superior to Regent's ships which are rather old and stay in Aqua class where you will be truly pampered but will still have some kid-friendly facilities.

Thanks for the reply! Great advice, maybe we should think about splurging on a suite on celebrity or rci in the future. With work I have to limit to 7 day itineraries so I hope they would have something in Italy/med that would work. I think 2013 is what we're thinking of now...

Gatrcruzer and Baxter thanks also!!!

We have 8 children who have cruised with us from infancy on up. They have shown up 2 child families for behavior on first class flights. They are just regular kids :)

The key to traveling with children is BEING PROACTIVE! Parents who are proactive and willing to sacrifice their own comfort and pleasure to ensure that things go smoothly will be a blessing to their fellow passengers as well as their own children.

Lots of advice has been given for traveling well with babies and children. It all boils down to that one thing though, being proactive. Planning ahead for various scenarios, needs, moods etc and then ACTING when necessary is really all that it takes. Is it always easy and fun? - NOPE! , but its what is necessary in order to vacation with children if we have a modicum of respect for ourselves and others.

When I see a child having a meltdown I don't assume that the parents are negligent, but seeing repeated horrible behavior and inattentive parents does make me wonder. I think that the "kid haters" have just seen too much of this behavior and lump all kids in together.

We have 8 children who have cruised with us from infancy on up. They have shown up 2 child families for behavior on first class flights. They are just regular kids :)

The key to traveling with children is BEING PROACTIVE! Parents who are proactive and willing to sacrifice their own comfort and pleasure to ensure that things go smoothly will be a blessing to their fellow passengers as well as their own children.

Lots of advice has been given for traveling well with babies and children. It all boils down to that one thing though, being proactive. Planning ahead for various scenarios, needs, moods etc and then ACTING when necessary is really all that it takes. Is it always easy and fun? - NOPE! , but its what is necessary in order to vacation with children if we have a modicum of respect for ourselves and others.

When I see a child having a meltdown I don't assume that the parents are negligent, but seeing repeated horrible behavior and inattentive parents does make me wonder. I think that the "kid haters" have just seen too much of this behavior and lump all kids in together.

I agree with you 110%

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking our parents on a 50th anniversary cruise this spring to the East Med, and bringing our 5 yr old and 1 yr old.

Our kids are well traveled, for their age. My 5 yo has flown 60+ times and the baby already 12. So we feel well equipped to handle and prevent the meltdowns.

I think the key is prevention, like a PP said. We don't tolerate the kids disrupting adult time, period. Whether its religious services, weddings, 5 star hotels (we've been to them with the kids) airplanes, or even disney world. Our approach is, no matter where you are-you're not going to scream and disrupt. It doesn't always work, and when it doesn't, we leave and go home, or back to our room, or to a bathroom stall to cool things down.

And when we see that they are reaching their done point, instead of staying out and doing what I'd like to do, unfortunately, I just leave with the kids. Its pointless....it just stresses us all out.

But that does'nt mean that we can't all still take part in amazing experiences and enjoy ourselves.

There are times for adult only vacations, absolutely. In this case, this is my parents gift, and their wish is to be on this trip with their grandkids. Let's face it, my parents won't be around to do this trip in 20 yrs when the kids are adults. This is making memories now for everyone.

I've traveled all over the world-from the Burj Al Arab to packpacking through the Sinai in Egypt, to Europe, etc...and I can tell you that the U.S is the only country where kids and 'nice' vacations are segregated. Out side of the U.S, you bring your kids everywhere. (except maybe in Paris...ha ha)

Hubby and I went to Italy and hesitated to bring our 3 yr old...my heart ached for her, though we had a wonderful time. We were staying at a 5 star resort, and eating at luxe restaurants every night. You know what made it awful for me? There were adorable children EVERYWHERE. They weren't all angels, either. They were normal kids. And it was tolerated by all onlookers.

Stay away from the old cranks on the Regent board. The negativity over there is just shocking. Get. A. Life. I debated between Regent and Crystal. In the end, I went with Crystal bc they are marketed towards multigenerational cruising. I'm not interested in babysitting, like you. They also had a better deal compared with Regent. I would love to try to Regent cruise, but the fare for the kids was quite high compared with Crystal.

Any detailed questions about cruising or travel with little ones, don't hesitate to ask or PM. Happy travels!

We are taking our parents on a 50th anniversary cruise this spring to the East Med, and bringing our 5 yr old and 1 yr old.

Our kids are well traveled, for their age. My 5 yo has flown 60+ times and the baby already 12. So we feel well equipped to handle and prevent the meltdowns.

I think the key is prevention, like a PP said. We don't tolerate the kids disrupting adult time, period. Whether its religious services, weddings, 5 star hotels (we've been to them with the kids) airplanes, or even disney world. Our approach is, no matter where you are-you're not going to scream and disrupt. It doesn't always work, and when it doesn't, we leave and go home, or back to our room, or to a bathroom stall to cool things down.

And when we see that they are reaching their done point, instead of staying out and doing what I'd like to do, unfortunately, I just leave with the kids. Its pointless....it just stresses us all out.

But that does'nt mean that we can't all still take part in amazing experiences and enjoy ourselves.

There are times for adult only vacations, absolutely. In this case, this is my parents gift, and their wish is to be on this trip with their grandkids. Let's face it, my parents won't be around to do this trip in 20 yrs when the kids are adults. This is making memories now for everyone.

I've traveled all over the world-from the Burj Al Arab to packpacking through the Sinai in Egypt, to Europe, etc...and I can tell you that the U.S is the only country where kids and 'nice' vacations are segregated. Out side of the U.S, you bring your kids everywhere. (except maybe in Paris...ha ha)

Hubby and I went to Italy and hesitated to bring our 3 yr old...my heart ached for her, though we had a wonderful time. We were staying at a 5 star resort, and eating at luxe restaurants every night. You know what made it awful for me? There were adorable children EVERYWHERE. They weren't all angels, either. They were normal kids. And it was tolerated by all onlookers.

Stay away from the old cranks on the Regent board. The negativity over there is just shocking. Get. A. Life. I debated between Regent and Crystal. In the end, I went with Crystal bc they are marketed towards multigenerational cruising. I'm not interested in babysitting, like you. They also had a better deal compared with Regent. I would love to try to Regent cruise, but the fare for the kids was quite high compared with Crystal.

Any detailed questions about cruising or travel with little ones, don't hesitate to ask or PM. Happy travels!

Thanks for the pep talk! I'm curious to find how you find your trip on crystal to be-- have a great cruise with your family!

Unlike the other luxury lines, the regular cabins on Regent are HUGE so there's no need to get a suite or Penthouse on that line. For instance, a balcony cabin on Regent Navigator is 301 sq ft. Compare that to Crystal where their balcony cabins are 240sq ft, you can see the difference.

The only negative of cruising on the luxury lines is a lack of anything for infants or young kids. In-cabin sitting is usually not available and some have a minimum age of 2 or 3 years old for group sitting at night. There isn't anything available for kids if you want to take a shore excursion and leave the child on board. And I have to be very honest here, I've cruised all the luxury lines more than a few times each, and I can tell you, most passengers are not very welcoming to children, especially infants. While I personally don't subscribe to that nasty attitude, it's something you have to be aware of. Most cruisers on the luxury lines are very adamant that children don't belong on them, and that is evidenced by some nasty threads on those boards whenever someone mentions bringing children on board. Regent isn't AS bad as the other luxury lines, but just be aware. There were a number of kids on my three Regent cruises and they all seemed to be happy and well taken of. Of course none of those lines are going to refuse your money, but if you look at something other than Regent, be prepared.

Unlike the other luxury lines, the regular cabins on Regent are HUGE so there's no need to get a suite or Penthouse on that line. For instance, a balcony cabin on Regent Navigator is 301 sq ft. Compare that to Crystal where their balcony cabins are 240sq ft, you can see the difference.

The only negative of cruising on the luxury lines is a lack of anything for infants or young kids. In-cabin sitting is usually not available and some have a minimum age of 2 or 3 years old for group sitting at night. There isn't anything available for kids if you want to take a shore excursion and leave the child on board. And I have to be very honest here, I've cruised all the luxury lines more than a few times each, and I can tell you, most passengers are not very welcoming to children, especially infants. While I personally don't subscribe to that nasty attitude, it's something you have to be aware of. Most cruisers on the luxury lines are very adamant that children don't belong on them, and that is evidenced by some nasty threads on those boards whenever someone mentions bringing children on board. Regent isn't AS bad as the other luxury lines, but just be aware. There were a number of kids on my three Regent cruises and they all seemed to be happy and well taken of. Of course none of those lines are going to refuse your money, but if you look at something other than Regent, be prepared.

Darcie, thank you for the insightful comments, especially about Regent.

I didn't do luxury cruises at that stage (we did do a couple of Disney cruises with friends), but I noticed one of your other options was the Ritz in Hawaii. We did go there -- and other similar hotels, mostly in Hawaii -- when one or both kids were under 4, and those were always great vacations. We always saw other people with kids there, and I never had any dirty looks or the like. I don't think we discovered club level until the kids were older, but the Ritz on N. Maui was wonderful even at non-club level. We basically would play around on expedia and the like, and find the best rate at one of the nicer Hawaii hotels. Other favorites were the Four Seasons on the big island, Fairmont Orchid on the big island, Royal Hawaiian on Oahu, Grand Wailea on Maui, Grand Hyatt on Kauai.

Anyway, those were all really great vacations with a kid under 4. Good food and nearby restaurants, beautiful grounds, great early morning coffee. :)

There were very nice nanny agencies that provided good sitters. I think we mostly used that on the big island.

I personally would not do this. I just can't see the stress of having to keep the baby quiet, out of everyone's way, while on a ship that doesn't really cater to families. Of course you have to do these same things on any cruise, but choosing a more family-friendly mass market line would be MUCH more enjoyable to me.

I certainly think Hawaii is very family friendly. I loooove club leveL at the ritz. We did his about 2 1/2 yrs ago and it was great. We'd done non-club level prior to this and club level was so much better, lots of food, a chef to prepare a dish fresh for you in the club room at night-- think tapas style small plates, free cocktails, wine, beer. The level of service was superb, though we are very low key and didn't utilize it much. On the last day, the concierge packed cookies for us to munch on while in transit to the airport. Now the first class flight on Hawaiian was not really worth it, in my opinion, but with a baby, I think it would be worth springing for again-- more room, though we will buy her her own seat (safety first).

Cruising might have to wait until next year or so. I'm exploring other cruise line options but we really don't need the childcare options-- since we work such long hours, it's actually a pleasure to take care of her 24-7 on the weekends. And all the negative comments about kids cruising on luxury lines makes me want to take her even more...

haha! I know what you mean. (and I AM that parent that takes the kids out if they're being disruptive, period.) When I experienced such total rudeness myself over there, I recall posting-'I will be sure to sit me and the kids right next to YOU when we're there!' Happy travels.

Sometimes I wonder if these people have no problems...so they must try to find them somewhere. The little children are interrupting the tinkling of crystal. :) When I think about some of the things going on in the world and people are actually concerned with this?!

Bottom line-families have a right to be there. I called a few cruise lines that flatly made it clear they did not want our business, and I respect that. Crystal and Regent were the opposite-they offered special rates for children and families. So...need I say more?

I grew up very simply, and my parents even more so. I have to be honest, even though this sounds AWFUL, I don't mean it to sound bad...but I really do think that some people make these negative comments bc they couldn't afford to take their kids on trips like this when they were raising their families. Ouch.

So rather than having no comment, or just saying wow I wouldn't do it, but if you think you can, go ahead...they just flame you.

haha! I know what you mean. (and I AM that parent that takes the kids out if they're being disruptive, period.) When I experienced such total rudeness myself over there, I recall posting-'I will be sure to sit me and the kids right next to YOU when we're there!' Happy travels.

Sometimes I wonder if these people have no problems...so they must try to find them somewhere. The little children are interrupting the tinkling of crystal. :) When I think about some of the things going on in the world and people are actually concerned with this?!

Bottom line-families have a right to be there. I called a few cruise lines that flatly made it clear they did not want our business, and I respect that. Crystal and Regent were the opposite-they offered special rates for children and families. So...need I say more?

I grew up very simply, and my parents even more so. I have to be honest, even though this sounds AWFUL, I don't mean it to sound bad...but I really do think that some people make these negative comments bc they couldn't afford to take their kids on trips like this when they were raising their families. Ouch.

So rather than having no comment, or just saying wow I wouldn't do it, but if you think you can, go ahead...they just flame you.

Scarlett81-- I found some of your threads/posts when I was doing a search on crystal and regent forums about their cruises. It never ceases to amaze me how negative some responses/responders can be. I also think the anonymity of the Internet allows people to be cantankerous and sometimes they dont understand how the tone of their response can seem unduly harsh when it is read vs. said aloud in person.

I think you're leaving soon for the med. I hope you have a great time with your entire family--well deserved time:). I hope to hear how it went, especially with the kids--hopefully u will post a review on crystal's forum.

I am still leaning more toward regent (I'm sure to the dismay of some ;)) One of the reasons being, if we do have to stay in and order room service, I heard you can order from the compass rose menu, I'm not sure that's true on crystal-- at least I haven't been able to find anything. Also, my DH loves to go casual, so the informal nights may be a deal breaker with the jacket. I will have to find out from u if people could wear jeans on casual nights to the dining room. On regent I know no jeans at all after 6 but on crystal's casual nights, I'm not sure. I don't want to post that q and get flamed for thinking about not conforming to dress code. The more I research, I don't think mass market is the right decision for us at this time but who knows, if the itinerary, time, service, quality are right, it may be the way...

Archived