Which NOLA hotel ~ Drury Inn or Embassy Suite?

like2cruise

We needed a 2 room suite for a 1 night stay pre-cruise and are currently booked at the Drury Inn (which we have stayed at before) and the Embassy Suites. We like the idea of being able to walk to the cruise pier from the Embassy Suites to not add to the traffic congestion, however that hotel gets really mixed reviews.

Anyone stayed at Embassy Suites and liked it??

We needed a 2 room suite for a 1 night stay pre-cruise and are currently booked at the Drury Inn (which we have stayed at before) and the Embassy Suites. We like the idea of being able to walk to the cruise pier from the Embassy Suites to not add to the traffic congestion, however that hotel gets really mixed reviews.

Anyone stayed at Embassy Suites and liked it??

We like it. I think that there is a part of the hotel that got underwater... or wet... or some such thing and therefore did not smell so good... But we have stayed there after Katrina, and we had no problem. Just tell them that you want one of the newer worked areas. I like their breakfasts really well. Theirs is no small breakfast. Also their evening/late afternoon welcome if fun too. We've met some really nice people there. Either one, have a great trip.

Nancy

• 1 year later...

Looking for some additional feedback to this question as well. We normally stay at Embassy Suites when one is available near the port area. However in my search for feedback on one of the travel sites Drury Inn keeps coming up as a desirable hotel. Many of the reviews for Embassy Suites are negative which has me leaning towards giving Drury Inn a try.

Are both of these hotels in a safe part of the city? How far from the port and airport are they? We'll also be looking for a place to buy soda and wine and hoping to find a place somewhat close to the hotel. Any luck on that one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

We have the Drury booked for 1/2014. Doubt if they offer cruise parking right now, but call and check. They have a notice on their booking that there is construction going on and the only parking available is valet off sight for $25/night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Drury and loved it. It was an added bonus because of their "Kick-back" menu, free soda, free alcohol during kick back times and also a free hot breakfast. The hotel is gorgeous and was within walking distance to everything along the Riverwalk. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So, THAT Drury Inn is walking distance to the pier (with luggage En Tow?)

Do you know if the parking is covered and secured? I'm looking online but can't tell if I'm looking at the correct Drury Inn....Any assistance is appreciated! :)

So, THAT Drury Inn is walking distance to the pier (with luggage En Tow?)

Do you know if the parking is covered and secured? I'm looking online but can't tell if I'm looking at the correct Drury Inn....Any assistance is appreciated! :)

There is only one Drury in New Orleans, the one on Poydras. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk from the Drury to the pier, especially with luggage. It's hard to say exactly where you will have to enter if you walk and you may have to walk a little over a mile going up and down sidewalks to cross streets. At one point, it was possible to enter into the pier area from Julia Street. On Google maps, type in Mulate's restaurant, which is on the corner of Julia and Convention Center Blvd and you will see how Julia St leads directly into the Port of New Orleans and will see the river. Sometimes that gate is open. We have parked at the lot there and entered there, giving the porters our bags after entering the gate. You will also then have to cross over railroad tracks with luggage. If not, you will have to walk all the way around, following Convention Center Blvd and enter where the taxis enter (not even sure if this is possible by walking because I do not think there is a sidewalk. Since the port is long and narrow, I have never found there to be a definite way to enter on foot. There is only one way in by car/taxi and everyone follows the line in. My suggestion is to get a taxi.

Did you happen to notice what kind of wine selection this store had?

No sorry. We don't drink wine. But it was a really nice store. They had tons of stuff that you wouldn't see at a normal local grocery store...or at least ours around here. I would think it would have a pretty good selection.

No sorry. We don't drink wine. But it was a really nice store. They had tons of stuff that you wouldn't see at a normal local grocery store...or at least ours around here. I would think it would have a pretty good selection.

Thanks. We'll be staying at the Drury and it is close enough to walk and check it out. I'm not familiar with the chain of supermarkets.

Yes, Embassy Suites looks like it is a couple of blocks away, however, what you don't see is the convention center which blocks off the entrance to the port (unless it's been changed). We tried that on one cruise and it ended up being about a half mile walk with luggage in humidity. The $15 cab ride is worth it.

Archived