Timelapse Camera on the Balcony...

BigZfan

I have a Brinno Timelapse Weatherproof Jobsite HD Camera that I would like to put on a tripod and zip tie to the back of one of the chairs on our balcony during our upcoming cruise. It's not very big, and if it was zip tied to the back of a chair it wouldn't be at risk of falling off. I can set the camera to take a picture every 5 or 10 minutes for the duration of the entire cruise and then when I get home I will have an instant video of what the view was from the balcony of the my cabin. All the sunrises, sunsets, arriving and leaving ports. I think it would be great. My question is would it be allowed?

That does sound like it could be fun to review. Every once in a while you could get in the picture too. My husband did that when he was building our house. It really is fun to look at. I'm sure that he set the time further apart than you want as it took him many months to get this place built.

Nancy

I'm sure it would be fine but I would caution you to let your cabin steward know what you're doing. That way he won't disturb the chair while cleaning the balcony!

I think I know how long it would be there if I put one out on my balcony here for several days. Is there some way to minimize the possibility of theft?

That does sound like it could be fun to review. Every once in a while you could get in the picture too. My husband did that when he was building our house. It really is fun to look at. I'm sure that he set the time further apart than you want as it took him many months to get this place built.

Nancy

Just face the camera away if you are partaking in the Balcony Club activies.:D

I looooove time lapse videos

here is one from Disney Wonder

another TL

these are just cool :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/CleanCruising/search?query=carnival

I love these videos too. That is why I really want to try it for our cruise. I think it would be great.

I'm sure it would be fine but I would caution you to let your cabin steward know what you're doing. That way he won't disturb the chair while cleaning the balcony!

:)

Good idea. I'm just worried that the cabin steward would try to remove the camera from the balcony and bring it into the cabin if I left it unattended. I don't think it would be a problem because it would be tied down but I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has done it before with success.

I have heard about people leaving things on the balcony and the stewards bringing them back inside the cabin. I'm assuming that is so they don't blow away, but if I zip tie the camera to the chair that problem would be gone so I would assume there wouldn't be a problem, but we all know what happens when you assume...

If it's legal (and Mach says it is) then please do it...and then come back & post it here for all of us to see! I think it would be so cool.

Good advice from Mach to alert your cabin steward, and more good advice from divngmedic above. ;).

I think I know how long it would be there if I put one out on my balcony here for several days. Is there some way to minimize the possibility of theft?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about theft. I leave my cameras and laptop out all the time and I've never had a problem with them going missing from my cabin.

:)

You people are killing me!!!

Soon as I saw this thread, off to the interwebs to see about these type cameras! In the doghouse again with the missus, I suspect.

I'm going to try some short ones on the next sailing with a DSLR, can't wait to see how yours comes out.

Who is going to take it - it is on your balcony. They would have to go into your room, climb over from an adjoining balcony, rappel down from the balcony above or climb up from the balcony below. I really do not think that any of these occurrences are likely to happen. However, you could get a really good bicycle chain and somehow chain the camera to something on the balcony.

By the way, how do I explain to my wife that I have spent $150 on a time lapse photography camera?

DON

(Edited) Who is going to take it - it is on your balcony. They would have to go into your room, climb over from an adjoining balcony, rappel down from the balcony above or climb up from the balcony below. I really do not think that any of these occurrences are likely to happen. (Edited) DON

I anticipated this response and I admit my comments are biased by spending part of my lifetime attempting to apprehend thieves. Unhealthy? Perhaps.

Do not underestimate the ingenuity of the perps. Even with the onboard security cameras nothing you suggest is impossible and I can think of a few other possible methods. Now back to regular programming.

Who is going to take it - it is on your balcony. They would have to go into your room, climb over from an adjoining balcony, rappel down from the balcony above or climb up from the balcony below. I really do not think that any of these occurrences are likely to happen. However, you could get a really good bicycle chain and somehow chain the camera to something on the balcony.

By the way, how do I explain to my wife that I have spent $150 on a time lapse photography camera?

DON

Or just climb through the gap in divider .....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1446792&highlight=balcony+beware+lock+the+door

The room was broken into from the balcony. They knew it because someone locked the door from inside the room but then got out from the balcony. So we looked at the balconys. There is a gap along the top that someone can go thru to get to the next balcony. And we noticed both on our balcony and the one broken into that one of our chairs were moved and pushed up against the divider. So they stood on the chair and pulled themselves over the divider, then did the same to get back to their own balcony. Lucky for us, we locked our balcony door but the other people didn't.

You shouldn't have a problem doing this. Just make sure when you come back, post the video on here for us all to see. I love these videos. Here is a video where the guy did the same thing, had it set up the entire time on his balcony. Pretty cool video to see the sunset and pulling into ports. I especially love the sunrises on timelapse videos due to me never being able to wake up that early on a cruise to see one.

Let your cabin steward know what you are planning. Our last cruise he kept bringing my binoculars inside. I leave them on the balcony so they don't fog up. Also be aware that at some point during your cruise you will be asked to remove all items from your balcony so that crews can clean.

Let your cabin steward know what you are planning. Our last cruise he kept bringing my binoculars inside. I leave them on the balcony so they don't fog up. Also be aware that at some point during your cruise you will be asked to remove all items from your balcony so that crews can clean.

Have you tried the plastic bag method of preventing fogging? I do that with all my cameras when I bring them into a warm room from the cold.

DON

remember they do wash the balcony's while in port during a cruise

you get an announcement with your funtimes on the hours of the washing..

but is the camera waterproof? Our balcony was a tad wet all week.

Archived