Any opinion on Triumph v. Valor?

LauraG

I just booked my family of seven,four kids (6, 9, 13, 15) and three adults (40, 44,70) for the New Year's cruise on the Triumph and we are pretty excited. Part of the reason we chose that particular ship is because none of us has ever been to Puerto Rico. Now, I realize that the stop in San Juan is only 5PM until midnight and there probably isn't much for my kids to do in the dark.

The Valor sails out of Miami on the 1st of January instead of the 31st (like the Triumph does). I am thinking of changing my reservations to go on the Valor. It goes to Nassau instead of PR, and we have already been there, but it is a brand new ship and almost $500 less (total). I realize that we would miss the New Year's Party on the Triumph(and I do know what I'm missing, we were on the Legend at New Year's this year). However, with small kids, New Year's isn't a big deal for us.

So my questions are these:

1) Is PR worth visiting with kids if we will only be there for a few hours in the evening?

2) Does anybody think one ship would be more "kid friendly" than another? The 3rd person rate on the Triumph is quite a bit higher which makes me think that Carnival is expecting lots of kids for that cruise.

3) Does anybody have strong feelings one way or another about either of these ships?

4) If the Triumph is better, is it almost $500 better?

Any opinions would be welcome!

Thank you, Laura

I am interested in this also as we booked the Triumph for Dec 3. If the Valor is newer then why is it $500 less? I could switch ships in a heartbeat to save that kind of money..although the Triumph is saving me over $600 from what the Conquests cost us..plus another $400 in airfare it is saving over our flight to NO

\hmmmmmm:confused:

I would change to the Valor. Going to San Juan that late there really isn't anything to do and can be quite dangerous going out by yourself. I don't care for the Bahamas either but I think it is a little better than San Juan. Save the money and change.

the reason for the price drop is the date of departure. All cruises over New years are more expensive than the 1st week of Jan. sail. I know this because I always book in January becasue of the price drop.

As for PR there are some fabulous things to do there - But with a 5pm arrival time it would not be great for kids. in fact those times are bad for most people becasue san juan night life doesn't really wake up till later. As for it being "unsafe" SJ is not better or worse than most other large cities.

as for ships, I ahve never been on the triumph but I have been on the destiny which is a great ship and is the sister to the triumph. The valor I won't explore till jan 06' I think however you will find similar options on both ships since they are both large!

Good luck with your desicions!

I'd go with the new ship. We did the Triumph New Year's cruise a couple of years ago, and we had a ball, but it's showing its age. I'd pick new over old, anytime. I think the difference in price doesn't have anything to do with the number of kids, but the fact that the Triumph is a holiday sailing (over New Year's). When we were on the Triumph, we didn't see very many kids. I'm sure they were there, but we just didn't see many running around (day or night).

Well, you guys convinced me so I called Carnival today to switch to the Valor. However, I was out of luck, because there were only two 3-person inside rooms available and both of those were on decks so high that my bill would have been about $1500 more (remember that we are a party of seven so that is three rooms!). They are not booking parties of 3 into quad rooms at this time so all I could do is take a guarantee, and that is not possible since my teenagers are getting their own room and I need them to be next door or across the hall. I guess I don't understand how they can book a guaranteed inside for 3 people (which would mean that they put 3 into a quad) yet they won't let 3 people reserve a quad. Ah, I guess its their ship and they have the right, to try and maximize profit.

Very frustrating-- especially since Carnival agreed to let us book a quad room for 3 people on the Triumph. She told me I could call back every week to see if any 3 party rooms become available or if they will release quads for 3 people but my guess is that by that time, the 1As we want will be taken! (My kids begged for the 1As with the porthole windows.)

Look at me-- I'm moping because I only get to go on the Triumph! Pitiful I say.

Laura

That's really odd, but you'll have a great time on the Triumph! We also needed three cabins, so we booked specific cabins. We ended up with two right across from us, and we had a balcony. The only thing I would have done differently, would be to put a floor of cabins above and below us. We were right in the middle of the ship, and right above the piano bar. At times we could hear the music, but I just plopped in my ear plugs.

. I guess I don't understand how they can book a guaranteed inside for 3 people (which would mean that they put 3 into a quad) yet they won't let 3 people reserve a quad. Laura

on the triumph a family of 3 could take a double and they bring in a rollaway. Did you take a certain cabin for the Triumph? coz if you booked 3 people into a quad they could move you. I wonder if your agent explained that to you??

Did you take a certain cabin for the Triumph? coz if you booked 3 people into a quad they could move you. I wonder if your agent explained that to you??

Thanks for the info.

No, the guy at Carnival did not mention that they could move us from the quad on the Triumph. Does this mean that my kids could still be on Main deck and they can move us far away from them? If that is the case, when do they notify that we'd be moved I wonder? I mean, if they notified me far enough ahead of time that they were kicking the three of us from our cabin because they want to sell it to a party of four, then I'd simply cancel the booking (I live in Florida-- no airfare). Therefore, they'd loose 7 paying customers to accomodate one extra. Also, Carnival can't really WANT to have teenage girls booked far from their parents. That seems like a liability nightmare.

Hmmm, now another thing to worry about. Guess I'll call for reassurance near the final payment time.

L

Dont wait til final payment. get something confirmaed in writing that you want confirmation for these two cabins..and please note on your booking that you are not willing to move to another cabin.

I will bet that the kids are not booked alone in that cabin as one adult will need to be booked into that cabin so they wont be seeing kids being in the cabin by themselves away from an adult. could you check now and see whats available to 3 people around your cabin-- Just to be safe

Was this booking done by carnival or through a travel agent?

Thanks for the info.

I booked directly through Carnival, 3 cabins. They put my husband and me in the quad along with our 6 year old. My mother in law is in a double across the hall with the 9 year old and the 13 and 15 year old are in a double next door. Carnival didn't seem to have a problem with booking the kids in the cabin without an adult and he did ask for birthdates (and he asked if the kids had the same last name. I'm not sure why.)-- there was no subterfuge on my part. I have it all in the reservation/bill that they emailed me. It has the names of the passengers in each cabin and the room number.

My husband thinks that I'm worrying over nothing. He thinks that since Carnival "linked" the cabins (I don't know what that means, but that is what the Carnival rep said he was doing), if they move one of us, they'll move all. Since we have some of the cheapest rooms on the ship (main deck forward. Under the stage), being moved together isn't much of an issue!

Thanks again.

Laura

Carnival will book kids into a room by themselves if there is an adult next door.

We booked on the Valor (1/1/06) 2 weeks ago. We got 3 balcony cabins, all in a row. 15 yo son in one, DH & I in the middle and 15 yo & 5 yo daughter (who will actually be in our cabin) in the other.

Now, when we cruised on the Conquest 4/3, we had 2 adjoining cabins and then one 8 doors down. They booked my husband in that one even though my son stayed in it. (Made the whole S&S / keycard thing a pain but we made it work.)

I was surprised at the prices on the Valor - only like $300 total more for the 3 balconies than we paid for 2 OVs & a 1a with OV.

I'm sure Carnival won't move kids in the case of the OP - they'd do it only if they could move everyone.

Kara

Archived