Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

Hope you had non-NCL travel insurance. Hopefully you will be covered and get compensation. Remember you are due compensation for some items even if you have no insurance. For instance, we missed a cruise this summer due to Irene, and were reimbursed for taxes, tours and airport transfers we did not use.

Also, we took the Spirit from NOLA on 29 January, and even though we checked our paperwork and called NCL, we went to the wrong terminal. We SHOULD have gone to the Julia street terninal, but went first to the Erato Street terminal as our paperwork and a phone call directed. That only caused us a delay or maybe 15 minutes, but understanding the streets in that area, I can only imagine what you faced! Sorry you had such a rotten experience. I think I'd continue up the chain of command speaking to people at NCL......at the very least they need to advise passengers about Mardi Gras, not everyone knows, or cares, when it is.

notice, 1-she hasn't come back and 2-if you read her gripes, it sounds like she had no insurance period. I have to ask you, why does any cruise line have to advise people about Mardi Gras, it is an event known throughout the world. This year was a little unusual as many of the parades were held in one day instead of split. Yes, they are entitled to refunds on taxes and port charges, nothing else.When are people going to start taking personal responsibility and stop blaming others? This isn't saying I don't feel sorry for the OP, I do, but no one is to blame except perhaps themselves. If there have been no reports of gross numbers missing the ship don't you think the OP needs to take some responsibility?

Maybe address that there is a problem and their future cruisers need to be informed of the situation. At the very least I expected some empathy with an upgrade or other perk for our next voyage - but that is not going to happen now. We are through with NCL.

I agree with you, they should have given you a free upgrade to at least an Owners Suite along with $500 OBC SHAME on NCL they are horrible!!!

notice, 1-she hasn't come back and 2-if you read her gripes, it sounds like she had no insurance period. I have to ask you, why does any cruise line have to advise people about Mardi Gras, it is an event known throughout the world. This year was a little unusual as many of the parades were held in one day instead of split. Yes, they are entitled to refunds on taxes and port charges, nothing else.When are people going to start taking personal responsibility and stop blaming others? This isn't saying I don't feel sorry for the OP, I do, but no one is to blame except perhaps themselves. If there have been no reports of gross numbers missing the ship don't you think the OP needs to take some responsibility?

She probably hasn't had time. If you read her other posts she had an inside cabin on deck 4. You should not hold that against her. You can also see 50% of her posts are complaints.

I have two sons living in NO and there are small Mardi Gras events starting in January and increase with intensity just before Fat Tuesday, and I truly feel bad the OP missed their cruise, but it was not NCL's fault. When we go to a different city we do lots of research about the city including events. I do not believe that the OP was clueless about Mardi Gras. I personally would avoid New Orleans during the time leading up to Fat Tuesday, but if I did book a cruise during that time I would get transfers from NCL to guarantee my group getting to the terminal on time.

I have two sons living in NO and there are small Mardi Gras events starting in January and increase with intensity just before Fat Tuesday, and I truly feel bad the OP missed their cruise, but it was not NCL's fault. When we go to a different city we do lots of research about the city including events. I do not believe that the OP was clueless about Mardi Gras. I personally would avoid New Orleans during the time leading up to Fat Tuesday, but if I did book a cruise during that time I would get transfers from NCL to guarantee my group getting to the terminal on time.

The OP couldn't get an NCL transfer, it sounds like they drove themselves. "ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock".

But I agree that if there is any possibility of something going wrong an NCL transfer is the way to go. We took one to the Port of LA from LA Airport. The cost was approximately the same as if we took any other transportation and since it was such a long distance, I felt there were just way to many variables and a high percentage of something going wrong. And to boot we had a free tour of the airport, over and over and over and over again :D. Be forewarned anyone taking an NCL transfer, that you do drive around the airport many times until the bus is full picking up other passengers. We had a good gang of passengers on the bus that had made a big joke of it and got to our ship in plenty of time before sailing. I actually would highly recommend that if you are flying in.

Heads up:

On the evening of 12/31 apparently there will be this event called New Years Eve in NYC near Times Square... they expect a large number of attendees... If you are traveling in Manhattan at this time... You may be impacted by large crowds, traffic, and no available hotel rooms...

Be advised! :rolleyes:

I agree with you, they should have given you a free upgrade to at least an Owners Suite along with $500 OBC SHAME on NCL they are horrible!!!

Is that all . Cheese and crackers , how about a bottle of wine and Free Le Bistro.

I mean come on ... Be fair ;)

Mardi Gras is the officially celebrated holiday commemorating when Canada gained independence from Spain in 1927.

Canada? Spain? And it backs up traffic in NOLA? ;)

JaJa-All these celebrations, I'm stayin home from now on!

"Stuff happens" usually refers to things that are unavoidable, like a bad traffic accident blocking the highway, not things that happen annually during the same time and place. In this case, this was definitely avoidable with a little planning and foresight. Everyone can empathize with the disappointment but it's not a case for small claims court. I think that was the anger talking...

very well said!

I too agree that a bad accident delay is very different from a big holiday.

We live just 30min from port [ NYC Pier 88] but day of cruise I start checking early am for any road issues. We also plan alternate routes if anything is wrong.

She probably hasn't had time. If you read her other posts she had an inside cabin on deck 4. You should not hold that against her. You can also see 50% of her posts are complaints.

Not only were 50% of her previous posts complaints, but she ended one by warning about possible unpleasantness if taking a cruise during Spring Break. She said she had purposely booked a week later to avoid it! I find it interesting, to say the least, that she would have been aware of Spring Break but not Mardi Gras...

See I can't be called a cheerleader, I haven't even sailed NCL (just researching for 2 years out mind you :rolleyes:). It does suck that the OP missed their cruise, but there was a lot that could be done for it to have been avoided.

I am a cheerleader for people not being well.. stupid! If the OP didn't know anything about Mardi Gras, why would the TA know anything? Why would NCL know? I am in PA, my kids have been doing Mardi Gras stuff since last week in their school and learning about it.

What I understand the bring problem for this was the parades were moved from Saturday to Sunday for weather safety. If that was the case the TA and NCL probably really didn't know to be able to advise people of the problems.

For insurances, yes there are a lot that don't cover personal travel. The key is to finding one that DOES. I spent over an hour with an agent from the web site that insures my trip to find the right insurance. We don't fly, we drive for 2000+ miles each way. We found the insurance that would cover that the best. It covers everything from our car breaking down and not being able to be fixed within 5 hours, to major documented traffic problems, to natural disasters on the road. Oddly enough, it does cover AD&D for airfare also. I joked that yeah.. I guess a plane could crash on the highway on our car :p With my insurance, the OP's situation would be covered. Best thing.. it cost less than $35 pp for an 11 day cruise in a suite. So if there is a blizzard where we live and the roads are closed in November, the insurance will pay for us to fly from our home city to wherever to meet the ship.

To be honest the OP sounds like they planned the parades being on Saturday and were driving the day of the cruise, to be blind sided by the parade date change. It does suck, but very preventable and if you want to blame someone blame Mother Nature, or who ever it was that steered Katrina into NOLA....

In light of this thread, anyone going out of NYC to Bermuda on 7/29/12 be aware that there is a home game that day Yankees vs Red Sox. There WILL be traffic on the west side and in around the stadium before game time of 4:05. I have found that traffic starts about two hours before game. Just a heads up. I'll put this on our Roll Call too.

pax can start to park their cars and board the ship by 11am give or take...that is a great idea and then you can enjoy a great view...pool...day...meal on the ship and gain a full day onboard

pax can start to park their cars and board the ship by 11am give or take...that is a great idea and then you can enjoy a great view...pool...day...meal on the ship and gain a full day onboard

We always plan on boarding as early as possible, yes, for the reasons you list. We feel like we get a whole extra day. We enjoy lunch, we lay out by the pool and people watch, we walk around and explore the ship and we usually get our luggage in time to unpack before the muster drill.

We always plan on boarding as early as possible, yes, for the reasons you list. We feel like we get a whole extra day. We enjoy lunch, we lay out by the pool and people watch, we walk around and explore the ship and we usually get our luggage in time to unpack before the muster drill.

That is because YOU accept personal responsibility for getting to the ship (in the absence of NCL transfers) and also responsibility for getting the maximum out of your cruise vacation. People like you don't let Fate decide how our vacations are going to end up :)

If I had to swim up the Mississippi to get on that ship, then that's what would have happened. When you are determined to have a great vacation, a large percentage is up to the traveler! step 1 ... Get to the pier!

That is because YOU accept personal responsibility for getting to the ship (in the absence of NCL transfers) and also responsibility for getting the maximum out of your cruise vacation. People like you don't let Fate decide how our vacations are going to end up :)

If I had to swim up the Mississippi to get on that ship, then that's what would have happened. When you are determined to have a great vacation, a large percentage is up to the traveler! step 1 ... Get to the pier!

I was agreeing with you up until this red part. UH UH, no way, NOT happening! Have you SEEN what's in that water????

/Cool story, bro moment: I was stuck on the bridge over the lake for over 5 hours leaving NOLA Mardi Gras years ago (1994?), thanks to 2 teens causing a fiery wreck 5 cars ahead of us on the bridge. Jerks blocked the emergency lane all the way back into the city, and the ambulance had to come up the wrong way on the bridge to help. I still get shivers when I'm on that long bridge. Lots of spooky moments that year, but that memory takes the cake.

The OP couldn't get an NCL transfer, it sounds like they drove themselves. "ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock".

in.

No reason they could not get a transfer. All they needed to do was book it and park at the airport and not the pier. Great idea but who would have thought of it driving to NOLA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thats awful. Glad you were able to catch up with the ship.

The difference here is that you didn't lay all the blame on NCL and you didn't sue (or at least you didn't say that you did) even given your husband is a lawyer. Imagine that.

No, we didn't sue. We took the cruise and it was very nice :D.

Archived