Duty free questions

Rainbowfalls

Hello.

I know there is a limit of $800 per person and 1 liter of alcoholic beverage and 200 cigs my question was if i go over this limit (mostly on the alcoholic beverages) I would have to pay taxes what is the tax limit if anyone knows?

Also do I have to keep my receipts of anything i purchase and what if I buy something ( i am going to the bahamas) and I do not receive receipt would i still be able to bring it home?

Thank you :)

The ship doesn't care what or how much you buy. Customs does not xray or look inside your bags unless a dog alerts them to something in it (usually drugs) when you get off the ship. Once we were over the limit on alcohol but didn't get fined because the fine was less than $10 so they just let us go- too much paper work for under $10! We have taken 3 or 4 bottles off in our carry off bag. If you go to St. Thomas you can take 5 bottles off the ship.

You fill out a customs form and are supposed to put what you've bought and how much it was but I am sure there are people who don't always put everything on it and customs doesn't ask for recipts that I know of.

I believe they are much more strict on cigarettes (ie, you cannot declare more than your allotted and pay a duty). As for alcohol, declare what you have and let the officer make a decision on whether or not you will have to pay duty. Unless you are bringing crates back, I've not seen them care too much.

I have personally gone over all three limits, at one time or another, on international vacations, correctly declared them ever time, and prepared to pay any duties assessed. Never at any time have I had a CBP agent confiscate any overages, but I have heard that some states impose additional limitations beyond the federal requirements and will make a seperate assessment. Sometimes they will ask for reciepts, but it's more to verify place of purchase on liquor and smokes (because the limits change for purchases made in US held territories) and declared value of jewelry and electronics.

Now I have not always been required to pay the duties on overages, it does seem to be up to the individual agent that vets you back in to the USA. Case in point on a cruise in Oct '10 I purchased 10 cartons of cigs smoked away 1.5 of them on the 8 days declared the remaining 8.5 upon return as well as 3 liters of alcohol for a family of 2 adults and was assessed $48 in duties. But on a previous cruise earlier that year I left the ship (as a single adult) with 4 cartons of cigs and 6 liters of alcohol (all declared) and was assessed nothing. BTW some ports require the assessment to be paid in exact change, so make sure you leave enough cash to pay any possible duty. Also though some ports have an ATM in the CBP office the machines usages fees are ridiculous.

I believe they are much more strict on cigarettes (ie, you cannot declare more than your allotted and pay a duty). As for alcohol, declare what you have and let the officer make a decision on whether or not you will have to pay duty. Unless you are bringing crates back, I've not seen them care too much.

the reality is they don't check. On the Cruises to no where the cruise line pays the duty so there is no limit except a practical one.(the technical rule is there is no duty free allowance unless you are outside the US for more than 48 continuous hours)

I just came back from a 10 day cruise bought 5 cartons on board and 5 more off the ship(not made in the US btw). The cruise store said they are supposed to only sell you one 5 carton per person.

The rule is you can only bring back one carton of cigs that were made in the US back into the US(the duty free allowance) or 4 more if you stop at the US Virgin Islands and at least one carton is made there per person. You can technically only bring back more if they are made outside the US but they rarely check...at least in NY.. Any US made above the duty freelimit is supposed to be confiscated.

FYI brought back more than 10 from a CTN...

As for alcohol, declare what you have and let the officer make a decision on whether or not you will have to pay duty. Unless you are bringing crates back, I've not seen them care too much.

That's been my tactic. DH and I have a favorite whisky shop with stores in London and Edinburgh where we buy single-cask whisky that you can't get in the US- period. I'd rather take the chance of paying duty on it than have it confiscated. We've frequently gone over the limit (typically 4 liters for the 2 of us). We've always filled out the form honestly and have never had to pay duty although I got frowned at once in DFW when I was traveling alone and had 4 liters.

You are supposed to have a receipt for everything you buy outside the country and plan to import it. If you want to bring it home, ask for a receipt. No reason every legitimate seller cannot provide one.

That's been my tactic. DH and I have a favorite whisky shop with stores in London and Edinburgh where we buy single-cask whisky that you can't get in the US- period. I'd rather take the chance of paying duty on it than have it confiscated. We've frequently gone over the limit (typically 4 liters for the 2 of us). We've always filled out the form honestly and have never had to pay duty although I got frowned at once in DFW when I was traveling alone and had 4 liters.

the duty(excise tax) on alcohol is about $10 per gallon.

In general anything less than $10 is not collected.

for cigs its about $10.00 per carton.

Its local taxes that make these things much more expensive...

U.S. 2010 Excise Tax Rates[16] Item Tax

Rate Measure General Fund Excise taxes Small Cigarettes $1.01 pkg 20 Cigars, large $0.40 ea. cigar Distilled Alcohol 80 proof $2.14 750 ml Wine 14% Alcohol or Less $0.21 750 ml Wine 14 to 21% $0.31 750 ml Wine 21 to 24% $0.62 750 ml Wine Sparkling $0.67 750 ml Wine Carbonated $0.65 750 ml Hard Cider $0.04 750 ml Beer $0.05 12 oz

Massachusetts has strict limits on people bringing duty free into the state that are more rigid than the Federal limits.

Know what the rules are for your state if you live in U.S.

so does Texas where you may only bring back one bottle of liquor( no extra allowed even you pay the duty)...but you have to be a citizen of Texas and the ship has to disenback there.

I haven;t heard f Mass enforcing these rules...

But you must also be prepared for luggage inspection. For some reason, I've been seeing a lot more of that in recent years. On my last cruise, they sure were pulling a lot of passengers aside and going through luggage. And it didn't seem to have anything to do with drug dogs.

what do they charge if you buy a high end watch for example a Brietling (value $8000.00)? Do you declare it?

for the same reason you shouldn't take high value jewelery, you shouldn't take this either (IMO) but if you do its best to register it as well...

what do they charge if you buy a high end

watch for example a Brietling (value $8000.00)? Do you declare it?

BIG, BIG mistake to not declare everything you buy outside the country. You are just asking for trouble. Not worth it IMO If you can afford the purchase, you can afford to pay whatever duty you owe. IMO

Archived