Itinerary & ship with 12 m/o

sunset785

We are looking to take our son in December of 2012 on a cruise. He will be 12 months old at that time. Pretty sure we are crazy for doing this, as he will probably be walking by then! :p We plan on getting a balcony room so we can enjoy time out there while he is napping and sleeping at night. The grandparents are probably coming along as well. We are looking at doing either the FoS, IoS, or LoS. I need help choosing an itinerary with our LO. The FoS (7nights) is CocoCay, St. T., and St. M. The IoS (6nights) is Labadee, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. The LoS (5nights) is Labadee and Falmouth. I was leaning towards the FoS because it is out of Port C which is a pretty close drive for us but it may be cold in CocoCay, correct? Plus, I'm thinking the less sea days the better for LO. Help me choose!

Also, will LO be able to use the splash pool this time of year? Maybe not when docked in Florida for what about when we get further south? This is one of the main reasons for looking at these ships, as I don't think we will be using the nursery.

Also, if you could throw in some advice for eating in the MDR, that would be great! We will probably choose anytime dining. DH is most nervous about this, as he loves his meals! I think we would be most disappointed if we weren't able to eat at least a few meals in there. Actually, DH is nervous about this whole thing, whereas I think we can't live in a bubble & I can come up with reasons why not to travel to many locations just because we have a LO.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Hi! We traveled with our DS when he was 17 months (so, a little older) but we also did a vacation with him when he was 13 months and we found the situations to be similar. I definitely would pick a cruise that has less sea days IF you k now that it's going to be warm and everyone will be at the pool. We chose one that had only 1 sea day but we cruised at the end of Aug/beg of Sept so it was very very hot. We were on the Serenade so they did not have the splash pool but we did bring a small blow up pool just in case. We actually didn't even use it because on the sea day we did the Royal Tots activities and in between eating and naps and exploring there really wasn't any time or need to be at the pool (didn't need the hassle since we knew most of our ports we would be swimming!) Dec is tricky, so really, I would just pick whichever cruise works best for you (date, price etc.).

The MDR should not be a problem. Our waiter and assistant waiter went out of their way to make our DS enjoy his meal (while we enjoyed ours as well). This was a great opportunity for our DS to try new foods and on the first or second day he tried a chilled soup (he said "ice cream") and loved it. Every day after, as soon as we sat down, the waiter would bring out the chilled soup of the day for him before we even ordered. They are very child friendly. We also traveled with my parents and it was just the five of us at our table.

If you have not already, read my random thoughts about the LOS with kids in this section. I don't know how you get along with the Gparents, but connecting rooms was a life saver for us. Connecting balconies would be even better, but insides worked fine. After just doing this with a 2.5yo and an 8mo I think the LOS is still the best choice. We always do 7 days with the more ports the better, but the after the 5 days on LOS everyone was tired.

Like us this will be your first time cruise with kids so I think it is better to go with a shorter cruise to test the waters. The tender seems like a pain with the LO too. We used the chest carrier for the 8mo and it worked good, but the stroller was also used for both the 8mo and the 2.5yo. All of the ships you mention are basiclly the same and big.

As for dining in the MDR, give it a try, but I don't see anyone enjoying it. We tried the first 2 nights then did the buffet and life was much easier. Kids this young do not understand quiet. You will get glares from the people around you even if the LO is being good.

• 1 month later...
We are looking to take our son in December of 2012 on a cruise. He will be 12 months old at that time. Pretty sure we are crazy for doing this, as he will probably be walking by then! :p We plan on getting a balcony room so we can enjoy time out there while he is napping and sleeping at night. The grandparents are probably coming along as well. We are looking at doing either the FoS, IoS, or LoS. I need help choosing an itinerary with our LO. The FoS (7nights) is CocoCay, St. T., and St. M. The IoS (6nights) is Labadee, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. The LoS (5nights) is Labadee and Falmouth. I was leaning towards the FoS because it is out of Port C which is a pretty close drive for us but it may be cold in CocoCay, correct? Plus, I'm thinking the less sea days the better for LO. Help me choose!

Also, will LO be able to use the splash pool this time of year? Maybe not when docked in Florida for what about when we get further south? This is one of the main reasons for looking at these ships, as I don't think we will be using the nursery.

Also, if you could throw in some advice for eating in the MDR, that would be great! We will probably choose anytime dining. DH is most nervous about this, as he loves his meals! I think we would be most disappointed if we weren't able to eat at least a few meals in there. Actually, DH is nervous about this whole thing, whereas I think we can't live in a bubble & I can come up with reasons why not to travel to many locations just because we have a LO.

Thanks for your help!! :)

We just booked the Carnival Liberty for 12/15/12... PRECISELY for the lack of sea days!! (hate em!) -- it's going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan (Honduras), and Grand Cayman. We have been to all of these before (without a child), so we are familiar with them, but it'll be our first time with a baby in tow. Our son will turn 13 months the last day of the cruise (his DOB is 11/22/11). From what I've seen so far, it looks like we'll have a lot of options at each stop with him... CCL doesn't allow babies who aren't potty trained in the pools, but we may heed the advice of others on this board & just bring a very small blow up pool. We also booked an OS (ocean suite) for the first time, and it has a jacuzzi tub in it, so he'll get to "swim" in there, too. DEFINITELY had to have a balcony for our down time while he snoozes :D

In December, it can be chilly...so don't count on the pool being an option. Don't know if there is a diapered ones pool...probably not. Bring a blow up thing...great for bathing, since most cabins only have showers!~

You may CERTAINLY use the MDR...it's very kid-friendly! Go every night! There is no reason to fear taking your child anywhere (except X rated movies or activities!) Cruising is a good family getaway. Enjoy!

In December, it can be chilly...so don't count on the pool being an option.

Our first cruise was a Western, in September - it was ungodly hot! Our sec on was an Eastern, in October - there were a few chilly nights where I was glad I brought a blanket... Will a Western in December be COLD? What should we pack in terms of clothing baby-wise? I had planned on bringing ours swimming in the ocean at the ports - will it be too chilly in December (or just aboard at night)?

We just sailed with "Traveling GingerBaby on the Go" (8mos at that time)

We ate in the dining room, no problem. He Loved the Whipped Potatos and Chicken brest. Waiters had his Highchair at the tabke each night and after the first night even had the plates/silverware arranged "out of reach".

No nonpotty-trained kiddos allowed in pools on Cruise ships. Health Dept Rules...they use salt not clorine. So a small blow up pool is an fun thing. (See other thread on this.. i posted pics)

Also bring a light weight compact stroller... prefer one that reclines fully. You dont want to be trying to navigate with a full sized bulky one. (Again, i have pics posted. You can use the search function, they will pull right up)

Be sure to check out "FreePlay" time in the kids club. This is a time where you and baby can go in (for free) and play with the toys and let baby get his energy out in a safe enclosed place...lots of room to toddle around.

Have fun... we had a blast... cant wait for our next one... 197 days and counting

Archived