Anytime Entertainment

Astro Flyer

Thank you. You've just confirmed my initial thought about the theater show times. They did nothing to alleviate the 8:30 show crowding, and simply split the audience that previously attended the late shows, which were not nearly as much an issue in the first place.

You are completely right there, obviously. I have only been on one other cruise with Princess, and there were only two show times. On that cruise there was never enough time for a show without chasing my tail, which is why I loved the anytime entertainment on the Emerald. I have no idea what the best thing to do would be.

I'm sorry, HappyCruiser, I am completely missing the point of your reply to my post? I didn't have to wait for a door to open and could take my drink into the theatre.

My experience, FawnRiver, was quite the opposite! Plenty of time to get ready for dinner around 6, go get a Happy Hour cocktail and easily get a seat in the Theatre for the early show. Finish and wander down to the MDR ready for my meal at 8.15 after which I could then go off to Club Fusion either for music, or the Late shows in there. Or, vice versa, listen to music early on, eat dinner, then off to the theatre for the show!

I may be wrong since I haven't been on any ship since the new system began but as I read it the only people who have the opertunity to go to the main show lounge & sit there waiting for the show to begin are the early diners. For the others 2 shows the people now have to stand in line in the hallway waiting to enter. Also other than the one nightly main show there are no other entertainment options to attend other than trivia, dancing, etc. , nothing like a stand up comedian as in the past.

Thank you. You've just confirmed my initial thought about the theater show times. They did nothing to alleviate the 8:30 show crowding, and simply split the audience that previously attended the late shows, which were not nearly as much an issue in the first place.

It sounds as though we'll be gulping down our early dinner or missing dessert in order to make the early show. As you said the only people that have better seating times to choose from are the late diners. The early diners will either be rushed or have to wait standing on line for the 8:30 show or wait around for the 10:15 show but by that time my wife will just give up on attending, unless it's a new one.

We were on the Sapphire last week.

We noticed that a lot of the game shows and stuff have moved to Explorers until about 10pm, after which the rock band had a few sets.

They did have recorded ballroom music in Fusion sometimes. My husband and I went in to it on the last night - we were the only people there aside from three waiters.

On the Sapphire were there still comedians in Explorers or 2nd show in Explorers while still having production shows in the Princess theater?

Princess should have thought a little more before comming out with there newer ships, with more passengers and same size show rooms, I enjoyed my Princess cruises but switched to another line after not being able to see most of the shows. Never had this problem on RCCL, HAL etc etc

On the Sapphire were there still comedians in Explorers or 2nd show in Explorers while still having production shows in the Princess theater?

Based on a post on another thread by the Sapphire's CD David Cole the AE system won't be implemented until the end of March on the Sapphire. I'm not aware whether this is still in the testing phase or not but either way it needs to be reevaluated.

I don't like standing in line & I don't want to see a system like on another cruise line where most seats are by reservation. It was on a mega ship (NCL's Epic?) where the best main showroom's seats were for suite passengers & most others were open to be reserved in advance. A percentage of the seats were not allowed to be reserved & those passengers stood in long lines for a chance to see a show. I don't know if that is still the system on that mega ship but wouldn't want such a system on Princess. I prefer a system where those there 1st get seats & not by type of cabin or who reserved first.

It's a shame that cruise lines build ships where the main showroom cannot seat all passengers. I generally prefer to dine late because of the large crowds who prefer early so it's rarely a problem for me. But the one time for a port intensive cruise where we had early TD, we never saw a production show because we didn't want to rush dinner that much.

With so many early TD & late AT passengers attending early production shows, it may not be possible to have enough seats for that many passengers.

We were on the Sapphire last week.

We noticed that a lot of the game shows and stuff have moved to Explorers until about 10pm, after which the rock band had a few sets.

They did have recorded ballroom music in Fusion sometimes. My husband and I went in to it on the last night - we were the only people there aside from three waiters.

Based on a post on another thread by the Sapphire's CD David Cole the AE system won't be implemented until the end of March on the Sapphire..

Astro Flyer, I did hear that it wasnt on the sapphire until end of March but since we are sailing on March 11th I wondered since abbeydancer as just on the sapphire as to whether they had already stopped the comedians in Explorers.

Astro Flyer, I did hear that it wasnt on the sapphire until end of March but since we are sailing on March 11th I wondered since abbeydancer as just on the sapphire as to whether they had already stopped the comedians in Explorers.

That would be interesting to hear from from 'abbeydancer' an answer to your question. I board on the 3rd so don't have to wait as long to find out in person. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from the Emerald and HATED the show arrangement. By the time the performers got started, it was time to start wrapping up the show. In my opinion, the TIMES of the main shows need to be adjusted, not the LENGTH. If the shows were at 7 and 9, as they are on RCCL, maybe the audience would be more evenly disbursed.

Now a bit of insight. One of the assistant cruise director's staff told us that the real reason for shortening the shows was to increase alcohol revenue. They said bar sales cease during the main theater shows and too many people aren't buying alcohol. They said if alcohol revenue goes up, the shows will stay at 30 minutes because shows don't generate money, alcohol sales do. I really thought this shed a lot of light on the decisions to cut back on entertainment.

Archived