no hay hielo

Quasar1011

Is the water safe to drink in Panama? Or does it have bacteria that would cause Americans to have... issues? My wife likes bottled water and I like soda or fruit juice, but I am concerned about putting ice in them. I have been learning the phrase, no hay hielo, por favor, just in case.

Also, is the same true for Cartagena, Colombia?

No tiene hielo, no tiene bebida fria!! The water is quite safe to drink in Panama. Of course that is not to say you could not be affected if you went to some back water place that did not practice decent sanitation or from a private well. The water/ice that you would receive in the normal areas where tourists would venture (restaurants etc.) is safe.

I really don't have any direct knowledge of Cartagena.

Bill and his beer . . . of course there are all the other major brands as well. All of the ice in Panama is commercially produced and safe. If you are out in the boondocks their may be some water issues, but for the most part in the touristy areas of Panama City area you are fine. Sometimes in the Panama City suburbs although the water quality is fine, pipes break or leak and pressure drops and oops . . . Depending on how tender your tummy is . . . bottled water is usually the best choice when traveling to places that are new to you . . . . Or, as Bill points out, there is always alcohol! And don't forget our Panamanian rum!

Regards, Richard

Or, as Bill points out, there is always alcohol! And don't forget our Panamanian rum!

Regards, Richard

Well, here is my problem. I don't drink beer, wouldn't mind trying the rum. But I will be on My Friend Mario's full transit for 8 hours, along with my wife- who is a recovering alcoholic. I do not want to drink booze in front of her. That's why I asked about soda, water, or fruit juice with ice in it, and is the ice/water safe to drink.

Oh yes beer..... some of the local brands, Panama, Soberana, Cristal, Atlas and Balboa. Of those I preferred Atlas and Cristal:D! If you have any doubts about the water supply you won't go wrong here;).

I Prefer Mexican Beer: Sol was my favorite until I drank Pacifico last year in Cabo ( Lovers Beach) now that's the one I like...Moist Mexican restaurants in the Pittsburgh area seem to have it.

Any how can you give me a comparison of the local Panama beer compared to Mexican Beer

MM,

To be honest, it's been so long since I have had enough Panama Beer nor had that much Mexican beer lately that I really could offer an real comparison. What I remember is that Panama beer (the brand name) had an after taste I did not care for and Balboa was on the heavy side for me. As was the case, if you were hot and whatever beer was cold... that's all that was needed.

On a side note, a couple of years ago when we were in Cabo, we went out to Todo Los Santos and ate at the Hotel California, I don't even remember what beer they were serving, but it was one of those times where it was just a fantastic combination. Teach me to pay attention;)!

Archived