What should we expect Epic - Rome-Rome?

henrid

We are booked on the Epic out of Rome on June 13. This cruise "officially" starts on June 10 in Barcelona. We have never embarked "mid-cruise" and are hoping others can share their experiences and tell us what to expect. I am assuming Norwegian will have a typical check-in desk in the terminal for embarking passengers but that we won't have to worry about crowds. Any idea how many/percent of passengers Norwegian usually have join the cruise in Rome? Any idea what time they typically allow boarding passengers get to their cabins? Also wondering about procedure when we return to Rome on June 20. Assuming that we carry off our bags, can we leave the ship first thing in the morning? I notice that the ship has excursions set to start at 7:30 am on the day we return to Rome and am hoping we can get off at that time. Any insight on joining mid-cruise is greatly appreciated!

I would love to be able to help you, but can only help out with the cruise itself. I did that trip last fall, but did it from Barcelona.

I would think that they'll have check in counters set up for you and I'm sure you'll be able to debarkation early too. I don't know that NCL's done any of these yet, so I don't think anyone can help you with the specifics. It was announced that they're offering this flexibility, and hopefully it will all go smoothly.

I would guess that you'll have early access to your cabin unless someone was leaving it that day. I can imagine the whole set up would be a logistical nightmare for the cruise line.

You can be sure, though, that you'll have your muster drill before you set sail.

I think its a great choice, as we only had one day in Rome, which wasn't long enough. We really enjoyed Barcelona too.

The Epic is awesome, enjoy your cruise!

Thanks SuiteCruiser for your reply. This being our first NCL cruise we were not aware that joining mid-cruise was new this year. This should be interesting, and I agree could be a logistics nightmare. The primary reason we picked this cruise is so we could spend a few days in Rome, so no matter how it turns out I'm sure we will have a fabulous time. As for the muster drill - we were already thinking they would be sure to have one for us before we get to far!

Hi Lynda, I would also add that Rome is at least over an hour from the port of civi. I have been on Costa that did the different embarkations, I did not like it. It seemed confusing and it is true this is the first year NCL is doing this, I don't think it will be successful either, but who knows. I love cruising in Europe so enjoy and be prepared for a tiring but amazing cruise

Hi Lynda, I would also add that Rome is at least over an hour from the port of civi. I have been on Costa that did the different embarkations, I did not like it. It seemed confusing and it is true this is the first year NCL is doing this, I don't think it will be successful either, but who knows. I love cruising in Europe so enjoy and be prepared for a tiring but amazing cruise

Good point, I forgot to mention that it's so far away.

Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out before you sail, Henrid.

We are booked on the Epic out of Rome on June 13. This cruise "officially" starts on June 10 in Barcelona. We have never embarked "mid-cruise" and are hoping others can share their experiences and tell us what to expect. I am assuming Norwegian will have a typical check-in desk in the terminal for embarking passengers but that we won't have to worry about crowds. Any idea how many/percent of passengers Norwegian usually have join the cruise in Rome? Any idea what time they typically allow boarding passengers get to their cabins? Also wondering about procedure when we return to Rome on June 20. Assuming that we carry off our bags, can we leave the ship first thing in the morning? I notice that the ship has excursions set to start at 7:30 am on the day we return to Rome and am hoping we can get off at that time. Any insight on joining mid-cruise is greatly appreciated!

We are on the Epic out of Barcelona starting May 27. NCL now allows booking a full seven day cruise from either Rome or Barcelona. You will not be starting mid-cruise.

Checking in on most cruises usually starts around Noon, NCL will have to tell you when to check in. Since you will be in Rome prior to the cruise, why don't you see the city prior to or after the cruise?

This will be interesting to see how all this works and I hope NCL can streamline it such that they decide to keep it. I love the option of embarking either in Barcelona or Rome. Having sailed this itinerary out of Barcelona, I would want the Rome option next time. One day there isn't enough and I would prefer a pre-cruise stay there. Kudos to NCL for trying to make this work.

Thanks SuiteCruiser for your reply. This being our first NCL cruise we were not aware that joining mid-cruise was new this year. This should be interesting, and I agree could be a logistics nightmare. The primary reason we picked this cruise is so we could spend a few days in Rome, so no matter how it turns out I'm sure we will have a fabulous time. As for the muster drill - we were already thinking they would be sure to have one for us before we get to far!

We did this cruise from Barcelona (on the Gem) in 2009 and passengers embarked and debarked in Malta (which was stop #1 on that cruise) and it caused no logistical problems that we were aware of. The only way we knew it was happening was that we saw luggage in the halls the night before. Don't worry...just have fun :)

We also just booked for June 13 out of Rome! I doubt there will be too much confusion, especially since they are going to be doing the Barcelona and Rome embarkation/debarkation starting in May and will have had several times to work out the kinks, if any.

I am really excited to be boarding in Rome because there is so much to see there and it allows for a more relaxed vacation of the city and not having to rush around for the day.

Thanks everyone for your responses. 4774 Papa - We will be spending 3 nights in Rome before our cruise so we can explore Rome and Vatican City.

Our biggest concern with the cruise is too much to see, too few hours and days...but we are up for the challenge! All our prior cruise have mixed several sea days around the Ports. This cruise should be quite an experience!

Thanks everyone for your responses. 4774 Papa - We will be spending 3 nights in Rome before our cruise so we can explore Rome and Vatican City.

Our biggest concern with the cruise is too much to see, too few hours and days...but we are up for the challenge! All our prior cruise have mixed several sea days around the Ports. This cruise should be quite an experience!

Yes, and the Epic has great evening entertainment, so it will be non-stop fun.

• 2 months later...

Slightly different perspective here...I am booked on the July 18th Rome-Rome cruise. Booked several months ago and only recently realized people will also be embarking in Barcelona. So to me, 4,000 people will be joining in the middle of my cruise, not vice versa.

Seriously, I read on another thread that it was approx 4,000 Barcelona cruisers vs 500 Rome cruisers. Just by the fact that there are so many fewer people to go through the boarding process in Rome it should go smooth.

We will be in Rome for 3 nights prior, we will be boarding while the vast majority of the Barcelona cruisers will be off enjoying Rome for the day, the ship should be empty. As long as our rooms are ready I don't anticipate a problem.

I think most people don't realize the multiple embarkation points. There is no roll call thread for my Rome-Rome cruise and chimed in on the Barcelona thread that starts a couple days before mine and i was told I was on the wrong thread.

I also am curious to hear how it is going before July and get any hints to make it smooth.

We started in Barcelona with 3800 passengers. The full muster drill is done only at Barcelona and later that evening was the crew welcome show in Spice H2O.

As it was the first cruise of the Med season some passengers were doing mini cruises 3 night Barcelona to Rome.

I stayed onboard at Rome and the ship was empty. approx 400 got off and went through the terminal and 600 got on to take us up to 4000 pax.

It was a bit weird as some people I had met were getting off so early.

Like Henrid, we are getting on in Rome. Also like him, when I booked this cruise I had no clue that it had two stops and that the vast majority would be getting on in Barcelona. I was just looking for a cruise that left Rome.

It does sound like it would be a logistical nightmare for NCL. I hadn't thought of the perk that the ship would be about empty when we boarded, due to most taking trips to visit Rome.

Henrid and Tyrna..how are you getting from Rome to port?

Rome is the only port at embarkation that they took our passport off us and gave us a receipt. It was returned to us 2 days into the trip but I think it was more about the Israel destination later than Rome itself.

From getting off the coach, we were through check in 20 mins and walked straight onto the ship. We could disembark from 7am, the bags were inside the terminal and easy to find and we were onto a coach in minutes.

Like Henrid, we are getting on in Rome. Also like him, when I booked this cruise I had no clue that it had two stops and that the vast majority would be getting on in Barcelona. I was just looking for a cruise that left Rome.

It does sound like it would be a logistical nightmare for NCL. I hadn't thought of the perk that the ship would be about empty when we boarded, due to most taking trips to visit Rome.

Henrid and Tyrna..how are you getting from Rome to port?

We get to Rome on Sunday to tour for a few days before the cruise. Not sure yet how we are getting to the port on Wednesday. We are thinking of talking to our hotel folks to get their suggestion. I'm not sure about hauling our bags on the metro and train so may take a taxi are arrange for a car through Romeincab or a similar company. How about your plans to get to the Port?

A cab will be expensive call Rome in Limo or another private car service, they speak english and can stop on the way if you want and also know the roads in case of traffic. Go to the Italy boards on here for more info on this. There are so many variables strikes, traffic, how many cabs you would need etc. A private car service will pick you up at your hotel show you some sights you may not have seen, stop for bathroom breaks if needed and have a flat rate they will also have aircondtioned vans or cars as needed. I think in IMO I would rather not take the risk of a cab to get to the port, I also agree about the train and lugging the suitcases on and off the getting a cab once you get to the port area. Strikes pop up alot in Rome. For me I would rather make my trip to port as stress free as possible and I think here convience is more important the cost. Have a great cruise. The trip to the port can be anywhere from an hour an a half to 2 hrs factoring in condtions. Enjoy

Also the hotel will be more expensive transport than a private company. I have done this cruise 7x's both out of Rome and Barcelona. As you know this is NCL first year doing this so there may be some kinks, if I can answer any other questions ask away, Maria

We are going on the Rome to Rome cruise September 12th. After we return, we will stay in Rome for 6 days due a trip provided by my husband's company. We plan on arriving the morning of September 11th. SInce we will be in Rome for about a week after the cruise, we probably do not want to stay in Rome prior to the cruise. Any hotel suggestions near the port?

Archived