Not So "LIVE" Allure of the Seas: TAKE 2

QTMichele

Several Nellie's Beach cabanas opened in January 2012, and they are building more.

Currently, there are 4 over-the-water cabanas. The first one was ours.

419038_10150806134251164_502681163_12519587_280343373_n.jpg

432033_10150806137431164_502681163_12519597_139378075_n.jpg

***Note: you can follow the steps from the 3rd and 4th cabana down to the water, you'll be able to (barely) see the ladder which gives access to the water.

421896_10150806137896164_502681163_12519599_1164283992_n.jpg

Our view was less than ideal, but the beach access was perfect. There are steps that lead directly into shallow water. Perfect for kids and those with some mobility issues.

The second cabana appeared to have a slightly better view with good water access.

The third and fourth cabanas appeared to have much better views, but water access was limited to a "ladder" that went directly into deeper water.

This picture shows our access to our cabana/water:

429040_10150806138446164_502681163_12519602_1041411493_n.jpg

The red gate keeps the non-cabana people out.

A close-up of our cabana:

422530_10150806133186164_502681163_12519583_1783285619_n.jpg

There are approximately 4 hillside cabanas. These are located between the Nellie's Beach over-the-water cabanas and Barefoot Beach. The views are beautiful from these cabanas, but water access is only available by walking over the hill to either Barefoot Beach or Nellie's Beach. These cabanas are not for those with mobility issues.

There are several more cabanas under construction, including 3 on the beach and another 4 (more?) directly across from our cabana (on the opposite peninsula).

Beach Cabanas Under Construction

420726_10150806136331164_502681163_12519593_1845213380_n.jpg

Cabanas Directly Across the "lagoon" from our cabana

398564_10150806135621164_502681163_12519590_1703883722_n.jpg

421517_10150806136971164_502681163_12519594_651935641_n.jpg

General information about the cabanas

Nellie's Beach cabanas are $200 for over-the-water and $175 for hillside. I do not know how the other cabanas will be priced.

Cabanas include an attendant, 2 floating mats, and 3 large bottles of water.

An upgraded buffet is included. The buffet is located on Barefoot Beach and includes the basics of the regular buffets plus shrimp and scallop skewers (ours were cold).

Access to Barefoot Beach is included with cabana rental.

Michele,

If you have a picture of one of the rooms that overlooks Central Park, I'd love to see it... Darling Wife and I have one booked on deck 11 for the 7/22 Cruise to Eastern Carribbean.. Looking forward to the America's Regatta on St. Maartan..

Love the pic of the Madagascar penguins... I'm a huge fan on penguins... Guess I'm going to have to track those things down when we're on the ship..

mG

I do not. :( My aunt and uncle stayed in a CP view room - no balcony - on deck 9.

Book the character breakfasts - they are a lot of fun, and not just for kids. You'll see the penguins there if you book the "right" one. (Ours was the first breakfast.)

I am not going to look until Monday Morning now. It's just coming up to going home time here in the UK and I won't look at this thread again until Monday. may choice lol I just want to read it all in one go.

It will be my treat for all the training I'm doing next week.....new IT systems at work....boring :D

See you on Monday for more

CK x

I hope I'm done by Monday! LOL Good luck with work... hope it's not too bad.

Michelle,

Do you have any pics of the hilltop cabana's at nellies?

Also, did you get wristbands for barefoot beach for the upgraded buffet?

And out of curiosity, did you tip your cabana butler extra? If so, how much did you feel was appropriate?

I do not have any pictures, but I'm trying to find some for you. I KNOW my family took some. :)

Yes, you get wristbands at check in which gives you full access to Barefoot Beach, including the buffet.

We did tip our cabana attendant. I believe my husband gave him $30. I have no idea how much is appropriate, but I believe he was overtipped. I say this because he brought us our mats and one beer. That's it. Now, we could have utilized him more, but didn't.

On the other hand, my parents and sister rented a hillside cabana. Because they wanted to be on the beach, they stayed on Barefoot. Their cabana attendant stayed with them throughout the day and did all kinds of things from setting up their loungers on the beach to bringing them drinks and checking on them throughout the day. PLUS, they had 3 extra people between the 2 cabanas and they wanted to tip above and beyond for that exception. They tipped quite generously, and it was well deserved.

SO... I'd like to know what an appropriate amount to tip is as well. What are everyone's thoughts? What do the Barefoot Beach people tip? Very curious.

Back to my "journal."

We spend the morning on the Barefoot Beach side and found it quite relaxing. The view was beautiful, but the beach was rocky. Guess who forgot her water shoes? ME! I packed everyone else's, but not mine. Go figure.

We had lunch at the buffet and found it to be okay. The upgraded shrimp and scallops were cold - I gave mine away. So long for the upgrade. LOL

After lunch, we went back to our cabana - may as well enjoy it after spending the money for it. We found Nellie's Beach to be much less rocky; although, there are rocks and water shoes make it nicer. The beach was more populated and less relaxing though.

Was the cabana worth it? That will depend upon your situation, but we found it to be a nice haven for our 3 year old, who ultimately fell asleep on the sofa. I would rent one again if our kids were still young; otherwise, I'd be just as happy with a beach chair and $200 in my pocket.

We couldn't go to Labadee and not try the Dragon Coaster! Our driver took us to Adrenaline Beach.

422839_10150806129841164_502681163_12519566_752357929_n.jpg

We had to sign a release and purchase our tickets. The cost is $18 or $19 per ride. My 8 year old DD could not ride by herself, and they did not charge extra for her to ride with me.

418180_10150806130441164_502681163_12519571_1940987119_n.jpg

423522_10150806131116164_502681163_12519575_573077720_n.jpg

It was a fun ride, a little on the tame side, but good for all age groups. The best thing: the views were spectacular! I wish I had my camera, but cameras and bags are not allowed. Because I had a swimsuit and cover up on, I had no place to hide my camera for "unofficial" use. Oh well... you'll have to make a trip to see it, or search for pictures.

*Note: ages 12 and up can ride unattended, ages 5-11 may ride with an adult.

The weather was starting to look questionable, so we took our taxi back to the ship around 3. Note the sleeping boy. He is heavy.

424326_10150806139816164_502681163_12519608_4035314_n.jpg

Labadee was a great beach day, and I look forward to going back!

THANK YOU, for posting about the Cabanas! We have one booked for our cruise in April, and are so excited. It looks like it was money well spent. If we have a Cabana booked at Nellie's can we use Barefoot beach?

You're welcome! I knew you'd appreciate this. :) There are a lot of people looking for the info, but there hasn't been much out there since they are so new. Glad I could help. OH, and YES, you have access to BB.

Pink,

Yes, thats what the wristbands let you do.

Michelle,

Did they block off all of nellies now? Or just the access to the cabanas?

Nellie's is not blocked off, and I saw nothing to imply that it would be in the future. However, with the 3 beach cabanas they are building, I'm wondering if they will be blocked off or left "open" to the beach. Time will tell!

Oh,

Did you happen to see what the water temperature was while you were there? I am torn about getting a swimshirt/rashguard, not a fan of chilly water, might get one anyway for the pools.

Water temp at Labadee? It felt a little cool as you went in, but it was fine once you were submerged. LOL It was very comfortable for me, and I've become quite wimpy in my "old" age. I prefer bath water. ;)

Thank you, Michele, for your AMAZING review! We're going on the Allure on 03/18...the excitement is certainly building.

I read your 1st review in one shot. I was tempted not to read this one until you were finished but couldn't resist! Your pictures are great and captures images I haven't seen in other reviews. It's also nice to read a review from a family with teens perspective.

NerdyChuck, we have a CP balcony cabin on Deck 14 booked, and we're boarding in 3 weeks. I'll take some pictures for you and post them in my review.

Michele,

Thank you for the cabana information.

Were you asked which cabana you wanted or you ended up with #1? Is it possible to request for #3 or #4?

Thnaks,

Chris

Oops! I KNEW there was something I forgot!

No, we weren't asked, but you can easily request a cabana (assuming availability). I think they put us in the first one because of our toddler, and I'm not sure I would've changed it because of him (although I'd prefer another one).

Thank you, Michele, for your AMAZING review! We're going on the Allure on 03/18...the excitement is certainly building.

I read your 1st review in one shot. I was tempted not to read this one until you were finished but couldn't resist! Your pictures are great and captures images I haven't seen in other reviews. It's also nice to read a review from a family with teens perspective.

NerdyChuck, we have a CP balcony cabin on Deck 14 booked, and we're boarding in 3 weeks. I'll take some pictures for you and post them in my review.

Thanks! I'll add more about the kids when I end my review... I think it will be easier (on me) that way. :)

Michele,

Thanks for the info on the phones on board. That seems like a really reasonable rate! Did you all use them a lot?

Did you talk to anyone about the Prohibition party?

Thanks for the review it's great,

Steph

We did use them quite a bit, and I'm so glad I rented them! Because we have a 12 year old who could come and go to the kids club, I didn't want her walking alone. We chaperoned her any time she was coming or going. I know, overprotective mama bear here, but I'd rather her be a little embarrassed than raped. (With the recent issues they've had onboard, this isn't a far stretch of the imagination.)

We also used them to communicate with our group. When we could hear the phones. (The ringers were turned all the way up, but it was difficult to hear them. I recommend the vibrate setting and keeping it in your pocket if you're expecting a call.) With a ship the size of Allure, and so many different places to go, the phones came in handy.

Well worth the money and peace of mind for me.

Thanx VillageDwellers...

Is it taboo to mention someone else' review? I was reading someone's review (I know they're lurking on this thread.. :) ) of the specialty restaurants and, combined with QTMichele's reviews, wonder how on earth we're going to make up our mind on where to eat..

So far I think i've gotten down that the MBR can be avoided and that windjammers is "jammed"... Since we're doing My Time Dining, I hate to see those pre-paid tips go for no service...

Interesting note that Johnny Rockets is free for breakfast...

mG

If you have a picture of one of the rooms that overlooks Central Park, I'd love to see it... Darling Wife and I have one booked on deck 11 for the 7/22 Cruise to Eastern Carribbean..

Sorry to hijack, but here are some pics of the view from a Central Park Balcony on the OASIS. Should be the same...

b531d5c5.jpg

f12687ef.jpg

53f718f2.jpg

ed491b50.jpg

4d4923b9.jpg

c6a41a6f.jpg

Is it taboo to mention someone else' review? I was reading someone's review (I know they're lurking on this thread.. :) ) of the specialty restaurants and, combined with QTMichele's reviews, wonder how on earth we're going to make up our mind on where to eat..

I don't think my friend Michele would mind. :p

BrianAlt,

Thanx for the pics of the view from the balcony...

mG

PS: ... and the complete review of specialty restaurants (despite it being on the Oasis, I see where you mentioned the only change is likely to be the Seafood shack is replaced by Rosita's...)

PS: ... and the complete review of specialty restaurants (despite it being on the Oasis, I see where you mentioned the only change is likely to be the Seafood shack is replaced by Rosita's...)

Yes, Rita's Cantina. And Samba Grill (Brazilian churrascaria) replaces Solarium Bistro.

SO... I'd like to know what an appropriate amount to tip is as well. What are everyone's thoughts? What do the Barefoot Beach people tip? Very curious.

We rented a cabana on Barefoot Beach in November. We invited friends we met on the ship to join us. We tipped them $25, and I think our friends also tipped him about that much. He was very attentive, brought us mats, kept our water cooler filled, swept out the cabana every time we walked out of it, got our drinks, collected our trash and tossed it for us....

Archived