Grand Princess Feb Review - 1st Princess cruise

true45

Thanks to CCers on Princess Boards who gave me info B4 my 1st Princess cruise. Hope I can help by giving a new-to-Princess view of my cruise.

Embarkation was fine, but there was noone welcoming us onboard or showing PAX to their cabins -- and the Grand does have some can't get there from here areas to navigate. We asked crew selling coke-plans 12:15 pm which dining room was open for lunch but he just directed us to the buffet on 14 -- Knew there was MDR lunch from CCers -- found a lovely lunch in the DaVinci DR (empty). Don't know why they are keeping it a secret -- after traveling 5 hours to get onboard, a nice quiet lunch was just what we needed.

Cabin was nice but on arrival there was no soap and no toiletries. We met our steward Nic who supplied robes and extra pillows on request. CCers were also right about the mattress being hard as a rock -- but got used to it after a while. Also was aware from CC the shower is tiny - so this just-a-little fluffy woman kept bumping into the grab bar. A spray would have helped rinse but oh well. The partially obstructed view was fine -- but watch for crew working outside your window on occasion.

We had Anytime Dining which means Anytime after 8pm. The website and papers in cabin say you can make a reservation but they would only take reservations 7:30 or later. We would show up early as they suggest but take pagers and wait. Lots of waiting on this cruise. The 1st day we had pizza at Alfredo's (delicious to order personal pizzas in a windowed space off the International cafe atrium) and then browsed (and snacked later at the buffet). The buffets are ok but not much choice. Buffet rice pudding and yoghurts with self-serve toppings very nice. MDR had filet - very dry and overcooked in Michaelangelo DR -- waiter offered to replace it. Next night tried the filet again -- dry & overcooked -- but this time, noone came to check on us until DH had finished his meal waiter came to take away empty plates (of course, mine was full & uneaten). The waiter said he was too busy to check on me and I should have found him????? The next night, we tried again to go early, and were given pagers, told it would be 15-20 minutes and after about 45 minutes were brought to our table by MaitreD, Roberto in the DaVinci DR. We explained our experiences with the service and food with anytime dining. He gave us a nice table that night and the following nights -- we had the most wonderful waiter, Mel Martin. So many people want to eat early that they just cannot accomodate everyone -- but they should not promise something they cannot deliver. Anytime doesn't mean anytime. This complicates things when you want to see a particular show -- there is also not enough room in the Theater & Vista lounge for all the people who want to see a show at that time.

International cafe was a nice place to have snacks and cappucino and people-watch. The stewards are friendly and there is a string quartet which I usually love but they played very simple pieces - sounded like good high school students. Bought a coffee card -- the regular coffee is awful.

Speaking of entertainment, was disappointed in most of it. The singers and dancers were ok but they were dancing in the British show to recorded music. What ever happened to a Show Band? There was a band that had a Dixieland set but there was no "swing" to their playing. There was a combo called quatro -- amateurish. The party band, OPUS did a Motown set in the lounge (great show) and then did a Deck party one night - lots of fun -- they are good musicians and friendly and bring a nice energy -- but no food at all at the deck party. Also fun is MUTS - movies on deck -- didn't think I would like it but saw a few good flicks. They also have movies in the Theater and Vista. We saw a comedian, Al Katz, funny. Tried to go to another comedy show but there was a huge line because there was a captains club party that hadn't let out yet -- poor planning on Princess' part. Wait on line again not knowing if we would even get in?

TV does not have a variety of newschannels as other cruiselines, just cnn -- and just filled with entertainment, not real news. I admit to being a news junkie at home and on other cruiselines. I watch MANY stations - like BBC, Fox

The ship was VERY crowded. The chair hogs were the worst I have ever seen. So many chairs sat empty like with one shoe on it or a book while passengers walked around and around looking for a place to sit. Princess does have a policy -- there is a table for possessions taken off chairs but MOST of the time, the deck stewards do not enforce this. I don't want to be a tattle tale or take the time to find someone to take care of this -- Princess should do it. Also, there is no supply of towels ready in a pile for people near the pools and lounges-- we had to look for a steward to go into the closet & get one. Not what we are used to.

Wanted to mention all the selling that goes on on the ship - tables set up in hallways with merchandise like cameras outside a restaurant - weird when you walk by. I can understand the grouping of tables outside a boutique but too much selling. Also announcements over the loudspeaker -- annoying. For example, I was walking to a craft demonstration alone and a woman shouted out across the hall -- do you want to have your teeth whitened? I said no thank you. She said that she would be available tomorrow too. I already said no thank you - I didn't go on a cruise to have some strangers work on my mouth. Frankly, I don't want to be constantly solicited either on a vacation I paid for. In the cabin, there is a form "what can Princess do to make your vacation better" -- since this happened early in the cruise I asked that they did not solicit me anymore and put the form in the box in the pursers area. I continued to receive solicitations and noone answered the form. I guess they are not concerned about making my vacation better.

The appeal of trying Princess was the itinerary -- Princess Cay, Curacao and Aruba. We did not stop at Princess Cay because they said the seas were predicted to be rough. They weren't rough at all and I didn't even feel the ship move the whole trip -- I can't help but wonder if this was calculated to keep us at sea where they make more money. I was hoping we would stop on the way back when we had another 2 sea days, but no. Curacao we walked around town, nice. Aruba we took a ship excursion with a tour and then boat ride which we enjoyed. But still, for a 7-day cruise lots of time at sea (which I usually enjoy).

Perhaps the crowds were the reason that the PAX at times were not very nice. DH got hit 3 times from behind by motorized wheelchairs. A jogger bumped into him from behind once. PAX don't seem to want to let you off or on elevators. One formal night there was a group of about 4 people (not kids) farting and laughing in the hallway as we were about to walk by. Luckily, we were able to make a turn to the elevators b4. Not too funny to me. PAX giving the crew a hard time about the pannini machine not working -- what was the steward to do? The ratio of passengers for the size of the ship is much too high.

Craft demonstration, bead making, was crowded the 1st class -- the instructor said the attendance increases each class but the next class was held in the same too-small area where I waited & asked the leader for someone to help me finally until a passenger (very nice and very talented with beads) took pity on me & helped me -- I was the last one there. By the way, I was early for each class.

I should mention here that the officers and crew do not acknowledge you when passing in the hallways. They look down or look away. Also, not like other cruiselines. A little nod, smile, even a hello -- that is what I'm accustomed to on other lines. Tried to make eye contact - not successful. The only opportunity to meet the Captain for us was at a champagne fountain where you get to stand in the atrium (at dinner time so we missed it). On most of our cruises there is an introduction to the Captain and other officers in the Theater during a show early & late seating with champagne given to all. Just a different feeling on this cruise that the crew and officers are not there to help me "escape completely".

Believe me, my DH & I really needed a vacation - we take care of 2 pre-school grandkids while their parents work. On other cruises, we come back refreshed and rested. Not on Princess.

I answered a survey with alot of this same information both positive and negative -- and received a call from a Princess rep. She said she would note what I said. OK, I hope they make some changes that will help future passengers.

Thanks to CCers on Princess Boards who gave me info B4 my 1st Princess cruise. Hope I can help by giving a new-to-Princess view of my cruise.

Embarkation was fine, but there was noone welcoming us onboard or showing PAX to their cabins -- and the Grand does have some can't get there from here areas to navigate. We asked crew selling coke-plans 12:15 pm which dining room was open for lunch but he just directed us to the buffet on 14 -- Knew there was MDR lunch from CCers -- found a lovely lunch in the DaVinci DR (empty). Don't know why they are keeping it a secret -- after traveling 5 hours to get onboard, a nice quiet lunch was just what we needed.

Cabin was nice but there was no soap and no toiletries. We met our steward Nic who supplied robes and extra pillows on request. CCers were also right about the mattress being hard as a rock -- but got used to it after a while. Also was aware from CC the shower is tiny - so this just-a-little fluffy woman kept bumping into the grab bar. A spray would have helped rinse but oh well. The partially obstructed view was fine -- but watch for crew working outside your window on occasion.

We had Anytime Dining which means Anytime after 8pm. The website and papers in cabin say you can make a reservation but they would only take reservations 7:30 or later. We would show up early as they suggest but take pagers and wait. Lots of waiting on this cruise. The 1st day we had pizza at Alfredo's (delicious to order personal pizzas in a windowed space off the International cafe atrium) and then browsed (and snacked later at the buffet). The buffets are ok but not much choice. Buffet rice pudding and yoghurts with self-serve toppings very nice. MDR had filet - very dry and overcooked in Michaelangelo DR -- waiter offered to replace it. Next night tried the filet again -- dry & overcooked -- but this time, noone came to check on us until DH had finished his meal waiter came to take away empty plates (of course, mine was full & uneaten). The waiter said he was too busy to check on me and I should have found him????? The next night, we tried again to go early, and were given pagers, told it would be 15-20 minutes and after about 45 minutes were brought to our table by MaitreD, Roberto in the DaVinci DR. We explained our experiences with the service and food with anytime dining. He gave us a nice table that night and the following nights -- we had the most wonderful waiter, Mel Martin. So many people want to eat early that they just cannot accomodate everyone -- but they should not promise something they cannot deliver. Anytime doesn't mean anytime. This complicates things when you want to see a particular show -- there is also not enough room in the Theater & Vista lounge for all the people who want to see a show at that time.

International cafe was a nice place to have snacks and cappucino and people-watch. The stewards are friendly and there is a string quartet which I usually love but they played very simple pieces - sounded like good high school students. Bought a coffee card -- the regular coffee is awful.

Speaking of entertainment, was disappointed in most of it. The singers and dancers were ok but they were dancing in the British show to recorded music. What ever happened to a Show Band? There was a band that had a Dixieland set but there was no "swing" to their playing. There was a combo called quatro -- amateurish. The party band, OPUS did a Motown set in the lounge (great show) and then did a Deck party one night - lots of fun -- they are good musicians and friendly and bring a nice energy -- but no food at all at the deck party. Also fun is MUTS - movies on deck -- didn't think I would like it but saw a few good flicks. They also have movies in the Theater and Vista. We saw a comedian, Al Katz, funny. Tried to go to another comedy show but there was a huge line because there was a captains club party that hadn't let out yet -- poor planning on Princess' part. Wait on line again not knowing if we would even get in?

TV does not have a variety of newschannels as other cruiselines, just cnn -- and just filled with entertainment, not real news. I admit to being a news junkie at home and on other cruiselines. I watch MANY stations - like BBC, Fox

The ship was VERY crowded. The chair hogs were the worst I have ever seen. So many chairs sat empty like with one shoe on it or a book while passengers walked around and around looking for a place to sit. Princess does have a policy -- there is a table for possessions taken off chairs but MOST of the time, the deck stewards do not enforce this. I don't want to be a tattle tale or take the time to find someone to take care of this -- Princess should do it. Also, there is no supply of towels ready in a pile for people near the pools and lounges-- we had to look for a steward to go into the closet & get one. Not what we are used to.

Wanted to mention all the selling that goes on on the ship - tables set up in hallways with merchandise like cameras outside a restaurant - weird when you walk by. I can understand the grouping of tables outside a boutique but too much selling. Also announcements over the loudspeaker -- annoying. For example, I was walking to a craft demonstration alone and a woman shouted out across the hall -- do you want to have your teeth whitened? I said no thank you. She said that she would be available tomorrow too. I already said no thank you - I didn't go on a cruise to have some strangers work on my mouth. Frankly, I don't want to be constantly solicited either on a vacation I paid for. In the cabin, there is a form "what can Princess do to make your vacation better" -- since this happened early in the cruise I asked that they did not solicit me anymore and put the form in the box in the pursers area. I continued to receive solicitations and noone answered the form. I guess they are not concerned about making my vacation better.

The appeal of trying Princess was the itinerary -- Princess Cay, Curacao and Aruba. We did not stop at Princess Cay because they said the seas were predicted to be rough. They weren't rough at all and I didn't even feel the ship move the whole trip -- I can't help but wonder if this was calculated to keep us at sea where they make more money. I was hoping we would stop on the way back when we had another 2 sea days, but no. Curacao we walked around town, nice. Aruba we took a ship excursion with a tour and then boat ride which we enjoyed. But still, for a 7-day cruise lots of time at sea (which I usually enjoy).

Perhaps the crowds were the reason that the PAX at times were not very nice. DH got hit 3 times from behind by motorized wheelchairs. A jogger bumped into him from behind once. PAX don't seem to want to let you off or on elevators. One formal night there was a group of about 4 people (not kids) farting and laughing in the hallway as we were about to walk by. Luckily, we were able to make a turn to the elevators b4. Not too funny to me. PAX giving the crew a hard time about the pannini machine not working -- what was the steward to do? The ratio of passengers for the size of the ship is much too high.

Craft demonstration, bead making, was crowded the 1st class -- the instructor said the attendance increases each class but the next class was held in the same too-small area where I waited & asked the leader for someone to help me finally until a passenger (very nice and very talented with beads) took pity on me & helped me -- I was the last one there. By the way, I was early for each class.

I should mention here that the officers and crew do not acknowledge you when passing in the hallways. They look down or look away. Also, not like other cruiselines. A little nod, smile, even a hello -- that is what I'm accustomed to on other lines. Tried to make eye contact - not successful. The only opportunity to meet the Captain for us was at a champagne fountain where you get to stand in the atrium (at dinner time so we missed it). On most of our cruises there is an introduction to the Captain and other officers in the Theater during a show early & late seating with champagne given to all. Just a different feeling on this cruise that the crew and officers are not there to help me "escape completely".

Believe me, my DH & I really needed a vacation - we take care of 2 pre-school grandkids while their parents work. On other cruises, we come back refreshed and rested. Not on Princess.

I answered a survey with alot of this same information both positive and negative -- and received a call from a Princess rep. She said she would note what I said. OK, I hope they make some changes that will help future passengers.

Thank you for posting your review I hope despite the problems you found that you did enjoy the vacation.

I have not found it difficult to say no thanks when offered something to buy or try but know that these sales assist keeping the price of cruises down for everyone so I dont moan about them too much.

I hate the thought of anytime dining but love traditional on a large table where we can make lifelong friends for the future. But I do agree if it is said anytime there should be more availability. Most of the ships offering it do have an ability to book the earlier times perhaps it was just that poor Maitre' D

Hope you have better luck if you try Princess again in the future.

Hi There

Thanks for posting we have found the Grand not to be crowded, the ships with an extra passenger deck and no more public areas we do find more crowded.

Princess cays is missed often due to sea conditions does not mean sea needs to be rough a strong tide would be enough as this is a tender stop,

I do not like anytime but thats just me one reason I like Princess is because I have a choice.

yours Shogun

Cabin was nice but on arrival there was no soap and no toiletries. We met our steward Nic who supplied robes and extra pillows on request. CCers were also right about the mattress being hard as a rock -- but got used to it after a while. Also was aware from CC the shower is tiny - so this just-a-little fluffy woman kept bumping into the grab bar. A spray would have helped rinse but oh well. The partially obstructed view was fine -- but watch for crew working outside your window on occasion.

We were on the same cruise. Thank you for sharing your concerns, however, I do disagree on a couple of items. We did not find the ship crowded, in fact I remember saying that it did not seem to be as crowded as the Ruby or Crown. With regards to Princess Cays, it was too rough for tenders (DH was on the balcony and was not surprised when it was cancelled). Also, as was announced, there had been damage to the island from a previous storm. Princess probably would have made more money if they had stopped on the island from boat rentals, etc. I have never done anytime dining so I cannot comment on this. We agree that the Vista lounge is not big enough for everyone who wants to see a show. We did notice that the theatre was not as full for shows as it usually is. We had a very enjoyable cruise. Hopefully you will give Princess another chance.

Have read alot of your posts shogun - very helpful.

Celebrity has a version of anytime called select but I think I will skip anything like it no matter what line we chose in the future. I have a Cel cruise next time.

Never skipped a port -- so that is why I was trying to think of a reason. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Hi true45

Have only ever missed one port it my time cruising however been late in and late out due to weather.

On my last cruise we almost got stuck in a port took four tugs to get us of the peir wind was so strong then we had a list due to the wind.

I think Princess has some good ports of call, hope you will give them another chance may be try the new ship.

yours Shogun

I have a hard time relating to your review as I have much different expectations when I cruise.

The expectations of Princess (the same complaints can be found on the RCC boards as well) monitoring chair hogs is unrealistic. This would require special staff just to monitor it (given the amount of chairs they would have to go around and place some sort of time stamp on and then come back around and take peoples belongings to a designated areas, etc.), that is not to be expected on the "economy" cruise lines (RCC, Princess, Carnival, etc.).

Missing Princess Cays as nothing to do with lost revenue, as they own and operate the area, so you are buying there drinks, paying them for tours, paying for cabana's, etc. People often choose to book spa treatment during port days, so the only real loss revenue would be the casino. I would imagine the money made during a sea day and the money made at Princess Cays is reasonably similar.

I spend maybe an hour a week watching on TV a cruise, so the amount of news channels is not important to me.

I cruise in large groups, so anytime dining does not work for us, but as shogun mentioned, its nice to have options.

Different stokes for different folks I guess. Thats the beauty of this whole thing, we all have a place to express our opinions.

LS6Caddy.

I agree -- love CC opinions same or different from mine, fun to read.

We all compare our last cruise with the ones b4 -- and this is my experience with Princess. So, yes, Celebrity has created my expectations for cruising. I monitor prices often and don't think of Princess and Celebrity as economy -- their prices are similar.

I do like Princess' itineraries better but am a "ship person" and usually enjoy just hanging around. Didn't this time. And it would be not a big deal for some of the deck stewards to keep an eye on the chairs. Yes, this is noted on other cruiselines but not as much. My husband worked as a musician on another line and did not see as many reserved chairs and wandering PAX as on this cruise. I can only describe my experience on this cruise -- everything is subjective isn't it?

Shogun,

What port did you need 4 tugs to get out of? I'm curious. The only port I've ever had a problem is Cozumel while on the Navigator of Seas docking in 5-ft seas in the harbor. But if you are sailing out of Scotland you must have more experience with bad seas and weather? The only thing I know about Scotlant I have read MC Beaton and Alexander McCall Smith. Thanks, Linda

We were on the Grand Princess from 02/11/12-02/18/12 and may have been on the same cruise as you were.

I'm sorry that you had such a different experience than my DH and I. We were able to eat in the Da Vinci dining room every evening between 5:30 and 6:00pm and had to wait to be seated only 1 time.

We both found the staff and crew very polite and always greeted us with Good morning etc.

As to the cancelling of the stop at Princess Cay, I understood that there was some disruption with the channel due to weather and that tendering would not be safe. Any time my safety is at risk I am glad that the Captain is not accepting that risk. Just my humble but grateful opinion.

I hope your next cruise is more to your liking.

I can't believe the OP was on my cruise. Unfriendly? Everyone is/was friendly. Every steward in a hallway says good morning; every waiter says good morning; everybody says good morning. And when it's not morning they say hello.

OP decided not stopping at Cays was deliberate? For heavens sake lady, don't you understand that they captain took us away from the area BEFORE the front broke loose?

Chair hogs? Pretty funny, since we got a chaise any time we wanted one.

I can say a lot more, but I'm holding my tongue. Anyone who read the LIVE from this cruise knows exactly how things were.

Pia, This is my experience, my review. Sorry if you can't handle an opinion and experience that differs from yours. Perhaps people treated you differently because of your status. And I will hold my tongue, too

LS6Caddy.

I agree -- love CC opinions same or different from mine, fun to read.

We all compare our last cruise with the ones b4 -- and this is my experience with Princess. So, yes, Celebrity has created my expectations for cruising. I monitor prices often and don't think of Princess and Celebrity as economy -- their prices are similar.

I do like Princess' itineraries better but am a "ship person" and usually enjoy just hanging around. Didn't this time. And it would be not a big deal for some of the deck stewards to keep an eye on the chairs. Yes, this is noted on other cruiselines but not as much. My husband worked as a musician on another line and did not see as many reserved chairs and wandering PAX as on this cruise. I can only describe my experience on this cruise -- everything is subjective isn't it?

I have only sailed on Royal and Princess (they are in our price range, and offer a good combination of itineraries and what we are looking for in a ship, as we enjoy sea days more than port days typically) and can honestly say i have never had a bad cruise. With that said, I always compare to my first (on the Grand when she was a bit newer), there is just something about that first one. Reviews can be tough because it is so subjective. I have only cruised in groups ranging from 28-52 people, so to a point we bring our own fun. And I consider myself a simple man, prefer a good burger and fries over a steak and patatoes, so I would not be a good reviewer of food cause it is all pretty good to me. But I have friends who eat at expensive restaurants all the time who would probably not find the food to there tastes.

So much information here from so many people, probably why I spend to much time combing thru these boards.

GrammyKati,

We tried Michaelangelo around 6 the 2nd & 3rd day -- waited a long time. But glad you had a good experience. I did say DaVinci was very good Roberto & Mel especially.

And thank you to everyone who suggested we may have a different experience if we tried Princess again -- maybe we will.

LS6Caddy,

I understand, I spend alot of time on the boards.

But to know if something is truly the best of the lot I think you can try other cruiselines. I'd be interested to know what you think of Celebrity if you ever try them.

DH gives an example -- he has a Pearl flute #775 that he loved playing. His friend who repairs saxophones said to him, "why don't you try this flute while I'm fixing your sax?" -- it was a Pearl Mastoso model -- same flute that Nestor Torres plays. It was so much better than what he loved before but wouldn't have known if he hadn't tried it.

I was also on the Grand Princess 2/11 to 2/18 cruise. The captain came on the intercom shortly before we were to drop anchor at Princess Cays, explaining there had been strong winds coming through the area. There had been some damage to the docks at Princess Cays, and because of this, and the strong winds, we would miss the port. This was a very good decision by the captain. Several years ago, we were on a Holland America ship at their private island, and it was very windy, with a chance of rain. The first tender went over with passengers, and it was very rough. It got worst very quickly, and the stop was cancelled. They still had to get the passengers back to the ship. I spoke with a couple people that were on the tender, and they said it was terrible.

I did think the ship was very crowded. We went to the Vista lounge 20 minutes before the 1st comedian show, and it was completely full. The next night, we went to the theater 30 minutes early, and it was full.

I didn't have a problem with chairs. People did get up very early, by 7:00 to claim their chairs in the prime spots. I would go up about 8:00, to the deck above the pool area, by MUTS, and was able to get a nice lounger with the thick pads to use. I am a sun worshiper, and stayed at my chair all day, all 4 sea days. I didn't care for the movies they would show on MUTS during the day. With the bright sun, it was very difficult to see the screen and was more of an interruption with the loud audio that went with the showings.

The one thing I didn't like at all was the live band by the pool. Opus was a good band, and they only played about an hour live each day by the pool. It would have been nice to have more live music by the pool area on the sea days.

Having missed Princess Cays, we did arrive 3 hours early in Curacao, so we were in port from 10:00AM to 10:00PM. We had a sunset cruise scheduled privately, and since we got in 3 hours early, we were able to walk around town some, then we did the LOKO bus island tour. It was lots of fun. Right near the floating bridge, we picked it up for $20.pp. It included 2.5 hour tour 1st to the Curacao rum factory, then for a nice drive to a nice condo area, then over to the beach area for 45 min. by the sea aquarium. There was also a cooler full of ice cold waters, beer, and cokes. The driver played loud music, and also gave us a guided tour with lots of information about the island.

This was only our 2nd Princess cruise, but our 30th overall. We found the staff to be very friendly (our first Princess cruise, the staff was not friendly at all). Princess did a nice job on some of the activities, like the trivia, and the family feud type game. All the passengers were able to participate within small groups of 4-6, rather than just a handful of passengers on other cruise lines. Also, I fell in love with Donnell from Canada, a helper on the cruise directors staff. He was so full of energy, and got everyone involved in whatever he was doing. He also did the zumba class by the pool each morning on the sea days. This was a very nice touch for Princess.

We went for the ports of Aruba and Curacao. Yes, I wasn't happy we missed Princess Cays, but nothing we could do about it. It was a beautiful sea day, with not much wind, and mostly sunny skies. We had wonderful weather the whole week. The little cafe on deck 5 in the Piazza had fabulous desserts, sandwiches, cookies and quiche. The piano player did a very nice job, and the live street entertainer guy was a hoot.

We had the anytime dining. We made reservations for 5:45 for the first 2 nights, then after that, we went to Da Vinci dining a couple times around 7-7:30, and said we would share a table, and never had to wait. When I called to make reservations, they could only be made at 5:30 or 5:45, and late at something like 8:30, 8:45.

We have decided Princess is not our preferred cruise line, but it does offer a very nice cruise. We prefer Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. For the right price and ports, we would definitely sail on Princess again.

One last comment, we felt the food was not as good on Princess as on RC and Celebrity. There was plenty of food, and a good variety, but IMHO, not as good at the other lines.

debshomespun,

I guess we had some same experiences, some different -- I wasn't up at 7 on deck or even 8am. I looked for shady spots because of meds I'm on. & 5:30 or 8:30 choice for anytime dining isn't really anytime.

Everyone,

It's funny, I didn't say people weren't friendly -- I just related specific examples of what happened to us last week compared to past cruises -- some were positive, some not.

sabookeeper,

I am comparing the crowdedness of Princess Grand to what I have experienced mostly on Celebrity with a lower ratio of passengers for space and crew. Have you ever sailed on Celebrity?

No I have not cruised Celebrity - my comparison was to when we cruised on the Ruby and Crown Princess. We were actually able to find loungers every time we went to the pool area so this was one of the reasons we felt it was not so crowded. As I said previously, hopefully you will give Princess another try.

We had Anytime Dining which means Anytime after 8pm. The website and papers in cabin say you can make a reservation but they would only take reservations 7:30 or later. We would show up early as they suggest but take pagers and wait. Lots of waiting on this cruise.

The waiter said he was too busy to check on me and I should have found him????? Inexcusable.

So many people want to eat early that they just cannot accomodate everyone -- but they should not promise something they cannot deliver. Since it is "anytime", the number of people that show up at a particular time can vary from night to night and cruise to cruise. If 1000 passengers decide anytime for them is at 6:45, there is not enough space in even two dining rooms to accomodate them all at the same time, and that does not even include those who are already in the middle of their meal.

I have yet to be on a Princess ship that did not have BBC news and I have been on many that have had Fox. However, BBC often had hour long programs devoted to a single subject and had very little USA news. Fox news (as well as CNN) is opinion shows over half of the hours in a day. It is hard to find true news (especially USA news) on any cruise line because such stations no longer exist.

see above in red

Archived