Is there any policy that covers cancelling because of elderly parents?

Prairie_Gal

I need to make final payment on our Mediterranean cruise on March 9. I haven't bought insurance yet because I figured I could cancel before final payment and only be out the airfare. As you can imagine, this is an expensiave trip.

Anyway, my question is what happens if one of my parents gets really sick before we go and I need to cancel? My Mom has ALS, she was diagnosed after we booked. She is doing ok, but you never know what might happen.

My husband has a pre-existing condition, but is stable.

Is there any insurance that will cover us for family sickness?

I need to make final payment on our Mediterranean cruise on March 9. I haven't bought insurance yet because I figured I could cancel before final payment and only be out the airfare. As you can imagine, this is an expensiave trip.

Anyway, my question is what happens if one of my parents gets really sick before we go and I need to cancel? My Mom has ALS, she was diagnosed after we booked. She is doing ok, but you never know what might happen.

They'll pretty much all cover you if you have to cancel because of a medical emergency with a non-traveling family member (I'm assuming they're not joining you on the cruise). The real question is: will they cover you if the medical emergency is a pre-existing medical condition?

You have a couple of choices (again, this is assuming it's been 30 days or more since you made the deposit on your cruise):

1) You don't say what cruise line you're using but several offer insurance that will let you cancel for ANY reason and get a credit toward a future cruise equal to 75% to 90% of your penalties at the time you cancel. Note that if you cancel for a COVERED reason you get a 100% refund in cash -- at this point pre-existing conditions are probably not going to be a covered reason. But if you're not using the cruise line's air arrangements you might be out of luck on that portion of your trip cost.

2) A couple of insurers will let you buy a policy up until the final payment and get covered for pre-existing conditions. CSA and HTH both will and Travel Guard also has a plan with this as an additional option (not available in all states).

3) Several insurers do NOT apply the pre-existing medical condition waiver to non-traveling family members. So if there is a medical emergency and you have to cancel or cut short the cruise you'd be covered even if it was because of a pre-existing condition. Travelex is one. I would buy the policy by calling them directly so you can review your situation and be sure you're covered. Note that not all Travelex plans offer this.

Judy,

Please note that the rules and regulations regarding insuance for Canadians is a lot differnet from those of us south of the border. Please refer to the thread the specifically addresses insurance for our Canadian friends.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390788

OOPS! Didn't notice that. But all of the plans mentioned are also available to Canadians. Definitely check the mentioned thread.

I believe CSA will cover both the pre-existing condition and the conditions of family members--you might want to double-check for your exact situation, but I know they will cover pre-existing conditions as long as you pay for the insurance within 24 hours of your final payment.

You can purchase them through http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

Archived