Carnival Notice of Fog Delay

idlenote

We're on the Triumph out of Galveston tomorrow afternoon. The latest forecast shows the fog has already moved back in and shouldn't clear before 0900 tomorrow morning. Carnival has always been horrible about providing updates when this happens.

January on the Magic we didn't get a single update. When I asked on the boards I was told to text 36500 to CCL1. That worked well and we finally got an update about the late boarding.

Does anyone know whether 36500 is the normal number to use to get the updates from Carnival?

TIA

Jim

Yep, there's not a doubt that it's foggy, the NWS is showing half a mile visibility at Galveston right now and that's quite sufficient to shut down traffic. What gets me is that Carnival is so stingy with the information.

Right now the Marine Traffic site http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ shows traffic still moving. I just hate to leave here early in the morning so I can sit in Galveston for hours. And again, Carnival just isn't helpful keeping folks updated.

If I have any sense this should be my last February cruise. That three day cruise to nowhere last February should have broken me from this.

What gets me is that Carnival is so stingy with the information.

Yup, it's definitely foggy. Anyone can check this via the NWS or Weather.com etc.

Just for grins, and knowing what you know right now at 9PM CDT, if it was your job at Carnival to provide the text updates to the over 2500 passengers scheduled to arrive tomorrow both locally and flying in or driving in from all over the middle of the country, how would you word your CCL1 text message right now: ??

AdGuy,

I fully understand what you're saying - if you tell people right now that they need to hold up and the weather clears you could end up with a half empty ship and a lot of ticked off ex passengers. That's not where I'm going here. In the morning if the Galveston ship channel is closed couldn't Carnival let us know a little earlier of a potential delay?

On the Magic in January some people waited over four or five hours in line at the terminal because Carnival didn't see fit to tell their passengers there was a delay. Meantime I still don't know what the ref number is that I should use in the morning to find out if we are going to be delayed.

Cheers,

Jim

I am no meteorologist but the temp isn't gonna drop much tonight so in the morning it may not be that bad. Good luck! I'm cruising on the Magic sunday and am worried about the same thing happening to us.

The temp can't drop much more as the temp can never be lower than the dewpoint and there is only a 1 degree spread now. If the winds are light, you can expect fog tomorrow.

AdGuy,

I fully understand what you're saying - if you tell people right now that they need to hold up and the weather clears you could end up with a half empty ship and a lot of ticked off ex passengers. That's not where I'm going here. In the morning if the Galveston ship channel is closed couldn't Carnival let us know a little earlier of a potential delay?

On the Magic in January some people waited over four or five hours in line at the terminal because Carnival didn't see fit to tell their passengers there was a delay. Meantime I still don't know what the ref number is that I should use in the morning to find out if we are going to be delayed.

Cheers,

Jim

it is up the harbor toilet in that port that decide if it is safe for docking. Depending on the fog and visibility, docking can be possible. This is part of why is not just carnival or the weather that determines when to contact pax

it is up the harbor toilet in that port that decide if it is safe for docking. Depending on the fog and visibility, docking can be possible. This is part of why is not just carnival or the weather that determines when to contact pax

Uh...up to who? Looks like your spell check put something in there and i cannot figure out what. The "harbor toilet". I don't even have a guess.

Yup, it's definitely foggy. Anyone can check this via the NWS or Weather.com etc.

Just for grins, and knowing what you know right now at 9PM CDT, if it was your job at Carnival to provide the text updates to the over 2500 passengers scheduled to arrive tomorrow both locally and flying in or driving in from all over the middle of the country, how would you word your CCL1 text message right now: ??

Well here's what I'd do...Dear Cruiser: You will recieve notification as soon as your Fun Shp has docked. Bon Voyage!

We were on the Triumph 2-04 & had a problem with fog. We did get a couple of phone calls from Carnival with updates. They also sent us some e-mails, but we weren't home to get them. If you are delayed, just roll with the flow.....you are going on a cruise.

The main problem we had was with trying to park. We used E-Z Cruise parking and the problem was their lot was still full as passengers could not get off the ship to get back to pick up their cars. They were only taking about 3 cars at a time so it took us over 2 hours to get parked. If you can leave your car at the motel and take a cab to the pier, you won't have this problem.

Doug

I am no meteorologist but the temp isn't gonna drop much tonight so in the morning it may not be that bad. Good luck! I'm cruising on the Magic sunday and am worried about the same thing happening to us.

We are cruising the Magic Sunday too

See you there, hopefully not through a FOG :eek:

Archived