Would you pay $200 to upgrade to a 4K alaska?

firefly333

I have been to Alaska once and we had an inside cabin. I am booked for another Alaskan cruise in June and it's in an inside cabin. I don't feel like I am missing out. Yes a view or balcony would be nice but it's not in the budget. I also like to have views from all around rather than from what I only see from a window or balcony. You get the full feel of the massive cliffs and glaciers. My favorite place is the "secret" deck at the front of the ship.

I would rather spend that extra 200 on a once in a lifetime excursion. You will find that most excursions in Alaska are pricey but so worth it. You will be hooked and wanting to go back again.

Have a great trip!

For me Juneau is the toughest port to choose an excursion. We did a helicopter glacier landing the first trip, and whale watching the second. Both were amazing! We were very fortunate that our first trip to Alaska was a Southbound from Seward, so we were able to spend a couple of days on the Kenai Peninsula whale watching and also had a stop in Sitka. On our second trip, we sailed from Seattle to Vancouver, so our only opportunity to whale watch was in Juneau.

I did find that I am not a fan of the float plane (tried it in Ketchikan). If you've ever had any motion sickness at all, beware. LOL! You must try the chowder at one of the little stands where you dock in Ketchikan. It's delicious.

Skagway is probably my least favorite port. The railroad is pricey but pretty cool.

We did all our excursions independently - there's a lot of good info on different options in the Alaska forum!

In Juneau we did whale watching with Harv & Marv (our fav day!). We were very lucky and saw Orca's and Humpbacks.

In Skagway we did the railway/bus combo to the Yukon with Chilkoot Tours.

In Ketchikan we were supposed to go flight seeing with Island Wings, but it was cancelled due to rain/fog :(

Alaska was simply incredible - I'm hoping one day we'll get back to do a one-way cruise. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter what room you're in!

J

Those sound almost identical to the excursions we have booked for our upcoming Voyage of the Glaciers cruise :D! Also doing a few days pre-cruise on our own, going up to Denali & such. Can't wait... (Sorry to hijack, Fire)

Those sound almost identical to the excursions we have booked for our upcoming Voyage of the Glaciers cruise :D! Also doing a few days pre-cruise on our own, going up to Denali & such. Can't wait... (Sorry to hijack, Fire)

We spent several nights on land prior to our first cruise; 2 nights in Anchorage and 2 nights in Denali and 1 night in Seward. We took the Alaskan RR from Anchorage to Denali, and then from Denali to Seward.

We got a perfect view of Mt. Mckinley from the train....they sky opened up and there it was!

Our tour of Denali, however, not a great day. We did a very cold and wet 6 hour tour and saw basically no wildlife. At one point a squirrel ran by and we all cheered, LOL! Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Archived