Question about boarding procedure/arrival time for Tampa...

Gregsterman

Hello cruisecritic!

My two roommates and I are taking a cruise on the Legend out of Tampa on March 18th. We'll be driving down from Atlanta on Saturday, staying in a hotel about an hour outside Tampa and then waking up early to drive in to the port Sunday morning.

When do you guys suggest we try to arrive at the port? I've heard that the best times to arrive are either super early or super late. Can any of you who have sailed from Tampa before confirm?

We'd ideally like to be on the boat ASAP, but aren't VIPs. Any tips or tricks for making embarkation go as quickly and smoothly as possible (specifically in Tampa) would be appreciated.

As I've only ever sailed Royal Caribbean before I have no idea what to expect. A step-by-step guide to embarkation with Carnival out of Tampa would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. :)

If you boarded RCL, I see no difference. You will board by zone, according to the time you arrive and check in.

I arrive between 10:30 and 11 am .. but Im VIP and want to eat lunch.. why wait and not eat at the buffet? I dont get people who arrive late and go pay to eat out.

I agree that in Tampa the best time to arrive is between 10:30 and 11 A.M. We just sailed "Legend" and arrived about 11, but last week they had to do a "super cleaning" of the ship because of a minor outbreak of Noro, so no one was allowed to board until nearly 12:15. (The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) was the first person on board!) :D Ordinarily, they'll begin boarding about 11 A.M.

"SKY"

If you boarded RCL, I see no difference. You will board by zone, according to the time you arrive and check in.

So getting there early *does* get you on the boat earlier. Thanks.

I agree that in Tampa the best time to arrive is between 10:30 and 11 A.M. We just sailed "Legend" and arrived about 11, but last week they had to do a "super cleaning" of the ship because of a minor outbreak of Noro, so no one was allowed to board until nearly 12:15. (The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) was the first person on board!) :D Ordinarily, they'll begin boarding about 11 A.M.

We'll leave our night-before hotel (1 hour outside of town) around 8:30-9:00am then, and try to get to the port at ~10:00am. After getting the car parked and the bags carried that should put us in the terminal by 10:30am with time to spare. Thanks for the tips!

We sailed her in Dec, 2011. We arrived at the port of Tampa approx 11:30 AM & were aboard the ship in less than 30 min. At the time, I saw no zones as pp stated. We just got in line to check in & immediately boarded the ship. That was the easiest boarding we've ever had. Have a great cruise.

Archived