What Would You Do If....

bigcraig

You had a cruise booked for June 15 2012 and just found out your bariatric weight loss surgery has been approved and surgery is set for mid March?

I have jumped through all the hoops the insurance company required and have all finances in order after a little over a year, we promised DD this for graduation.

I usually cruise for food and now worry about what I will be able to find to stick to my goal plus not sure if I will still be recovering/in pain?? We have until March 31 to cancel but family would not be happy.

I usually cruise for food and now worry about what I will be able to find to stick to my goal plus not sure if I will still be recovering/in pain??

Do it after. If you cruise for food and you want a permanent lifestyle change to not get fat again, make this your last cruise for food and have fun. Do the surgery after. After that, cruise for the cruise and not the food. (its not all that good anyway IMHO)

If you cruise for food, you might be in torment because from friends that I know had the surgery done, were on massively strict diets after. Going glutton on a cruise if you already have a food addiction sure isn't going to help you. Especially if you have that surgery.

Do the surgery after then change your screen name to skinnycraig.

Thanks for all the kind words, I should also mention that the intial weight loss is fast, will probably be down 100 lbs by cruise time, just wondering how baggy my clothes will be? I am starting at an embarrasing high weight(over 500:()so I hate to buy a bunch of new clothes right off the bat.

The surgeries vary of course, but I had my lap band in and went to work two days later. Bariatric surgery is mostly done laproscopically and you heal quicker. What does your doc say about healing time?

I would bet you will be right as rain that far afterward, and will have gone through your liquids and mushy stages. Learning a new way to eat is a challenge, and you will have to be careful on the cruise, but the downside means minor temporary illness, which you would be dealing with at home anyway.

Thanks for all the kind words, I should also mention that the intial weight loss is fast, will probably be down 100 lbs by cruise time, just wondering how baggy my clothes will be? I am starting at an embarrasing high weight(over 500:()so I hate to buy a bunch of new clothes right off the bat.

No need to be embarrased! We all have our crosses to bear! By the way, I guess you will have to change your name on here!:D Good luck with the surgery and hitting your goals. One day at a time!

This could turn out to be a good thing for you. While you are adjusting to big changes in your eating habits, which I'm sure will be difficult, you will have many things to divert your attention while on a cruise! And I know from personal experience that their lighter menu is really good. So, with your doctor's blessing, go and have a good time!

well maybe you used to cruise for food but now it will be different and feeling better and getting around better you will have a different mind set, make yourself a priority go if you feel like it or don't go right now it is your time and great success to you:o:o:o

Do it after. If you cruise for food and you want a permanent lifestyle change to not get fat again, make this your last cruise for food and have fun. Do the surgery after. After that cruise for the cruise and not the food. (its not all that good anyway IMHO)

If you cruise for food, you might be in torment because from friends that I know had the surgery done, were on massively strict diets after. Going glutton on a cruise if you already have a food addiction sure isn't going to help you.

Do the surgery after then change your screen name to skinnycraig.lol that is funny

Unfortunetly I cannot delay the surgery, you would not believe what it took to get to this point.

The insurance required 6 months of nutritional counseling, excercise class, physchological exams, etc etc, than they found out my plan only covers stomach stapling(no one does this anymore)it took 6 more months to get an exception than they put a $15K limit on it while the total cost is $50-65K. The hospital and doctor agreed to do mine gratis over the $15K, something to do with government funding requires a few freebies per year and I was chosen as this is a life threatening condition.

The surgeries vary of course, but I had my lap band in and went to work two days later. Bariatric surgery is mostly done laproscopically and you heal quicker. What does your doc say about healing time?

I would bet you will be right as rain that far afterward, and will have gone through your liquids and mushy stages. Learning a new way to eat is a challenge, and you will have to be careful on the cruise, but the downside means minor temporary illness, which you would be dealing with at home anyway.

I am getting the sleeve procedure which they said I should be up and running(I wish I could run)in a few days, they want me to take just a week off work which is no problem no boss said I can work from home if I want to save my vacation time.

I would go and enjoy a new and improving you. You might find as the weight comes off that you can start to enjoy the other activities that are available on a cruise. Also, when I quit smoking 15 years ago, I purposely did not isolate myself from other smokers. I figured I would have to learn to deal with it eventually, so I might as well start from day one. So go and conquer another hurdle. :)

Only my opinion...

Your whole life will have to change in some ways. There will be no more "cruising for the food" or anything else "for the food" (like Holidays for example) after the surgery. This is a life long ajustement from the surgery onwards.

There will be no more jumbo bags of popcorn at the movie theatre - would that stop you from seeing a movie ? Heck no ! You'll go to the movie for the pleasure of a night out with your wife, for the pleasure of seeing the movie, for the pleasure of those super terrific 3D glasses !!

Will you never go on a cruise again ? Heck no ! You just need to ajust your thinking, you can go for the pleasure of strolling on deck with your wife, for the pleasure of finally trying out the water slides, for the pleasure of the excursions you would not have done before.

Cruise food ? Bah,... Sure, you'll eat, we all do, but it will have to become secondary to other pleasures, little tastes instead of large portions.

May as well start in June while celebrating your daughter's graduation !

The first cruise I went on, I was amazed at the food and how available it was, it took me 4 yrs to go on my second cruise and again, I couldn't believe all the new things I got to try. Then two more years for the next one and this website had my mouth watering over the food and craving it before I even tasted it.

Did I mention I was at my highest weight then (352lbs). I actually lost weight on the cruise b/c I was so much more active than I was at home.

When I got back and just couldn't deal with the weight I was at anymore, I started trying to lose weight and lost 32lbs. Gained 10lbs back when I had some hard times, but just lost the 10lbs again and now I'm on my way to another 25lbs.

Did I mention that on my last two cruises, I wasn't as interested in the food I was eating. I loved the choices and I did splurge a bit, but I didn't feel the need to obsesses over before the trip. I would order two entrees at dinner but would only eat a part of both dishes, where before I would have eaten all of both. I just didn't feel the need to.

I use my cruises for motivation. They are my goal dates. Last cruise I had 6 months to lose 10lbs and I did it (I know, long time for 10lbs, but I still did it). This cruise I want to lose 25lbs by Nov. 3rd and I'm really excited about making that goal. I think about all the things that will be easier for me when I'm 25lbs lighter. I'm even going to try cave tubing, where I would have felt uncomfortable doing it before. I'm even thinking about the next cruise goal b/c I really want to ride horses on the beach, but the weight limit has spurred that excursion for me. I can't wait until I'm ready to set that goal.

Don't be afraid of the food. You are taking a very serious step to help you be healthier and If you are willing to do this, then you will have to power to know how to enjoy yourself on a cruise without food being the motivation. Figure out about how much weight you might lose by the cruise and then make a list of everything that will be better, easier or that you won't be denied on the cruise at your new weight. Plus this website will help so much. You have all the menus and most of the food that will be available to you, so sit down with your Dr. before leaving and talk about what might be good choices.

Use this cruise as a celebration of the new you!

Don't forget the SPA menu!!! I've used it and I thought it was just as tasty.

I say go. What a great place to experiment with different types of food that are healthier. If you get a dish that you dont like...no big deal, try something else and you open yourself up to a whole new way of eating that you never knew you'd enjoy and that is also healthy for you.

I can speak to this from experience. I had bariatric by pass last July. The week I was supposed to cruise with my daughter. Her former college roommate got to go in my place.

Your surgery is in March but your cruise date is June 15th???? Plan on going on the cruise. Period. Plan on having a great time!

Your relationship with food is going to change signficiantly both at home and on a cruise. You know this. Yes, by June, you will probably not be eating lots of solid foods. Let your waiters know what you are able to tolerate and they will help you out. I STILL eat lots of soups and soft stuff. TAKE your own supply of protein shakes, powders, supplements and such.

I doubt very seriously that you will still have any pain in June. I do believe that you will NOT be eating as much as you think you might (variety, types, etc.) or what you might want to eat. It just doesn't happen that quickly!

I cruised in December (5 months) after my by- pass. I still cannot eat Eggs, mashed potatoes (I think it is a starch thing), bread, and a host of other foods. I still throw up occasionally. I practice all the things they tell us and we are supposed to do. Life happens. Enjoy it! .... I would have cruised within 6 weeks of my surgery if I could have... and taken it all with me.

Enjoy your cruise!

Unfortunetly I cannot delay the surgery, you would not believe what it took to get to this point.

The insurance required 6 months of nutritional counseling, excercise class, physchological exams, etc etc, than they found out my plan only covers stomach stapling(no one does this anymore)it took 6 more months to get an exception than they put a $15K limit on it while the total cost is $50-65K. The hospital and doctor agreed to do mine gratis over the $15K, something to do with government funding requires a few freebies per year and I was chosen as this is a life threatening condition.

Do the surgery then. If its life threatening anyway.

Your daughter will understand and be happy for you even if you cant cruise. No more doing anything "for the food" though. Ever again.

As far as clothing? Hit up a Goodwill in a decent part of town. I got me 2 suits for $18 each. You can get a weeks worth of nice clothes for less than $100. Much of it nice stuff too.

My friends brother was at 525 when he had his done in a long time ago. My step sister had hers done but she found ways to cheat. Evidently there is a message board on how to cheat it. Whats the point? I have no idea.

Anyway, your cruise will be about the cruise. The food is merely stuff to keep you alive now.

Good luck with the surgery and have an awesome time on the cruise

PS, even now, join a gym and get a personal trainer if you can swing it. My buddy added up all the food he ate to get to his size. HE was eating about 5k calories a day. He added up the crap he ate and it was costing him and extra $350 a month in crap to maintain his size

(was mostly junk food and eating out). He got a membership and dropped his cable TV and got a trainer. HE looks like an entirely different person now. Unless you looked right into his eyes as he talked to you, you wouldn't know it was him. Dude is a stud now.

Cant wait for the cruise review from skinnycraig

Do the surgery now...you'll be fine... I had a client who did it and was back to taking dance lessons less than 4 weeks later. Since your cruise isn't until June you should have plenty of time to heal and adjust to your new lifestyle.:) Good Luck!

As far as clothing? Hit up a Goodwill in a decent part of town. I got me 2 suits for $18 each. You can get a weeks worth of nice clothes for less than $100. Much of it nice stuff too.

I second this. I am a bit of a thrift store clothing addict. I'm sure there is a support group out there... I get most of my clothes (and much of my 13 DD) from Value Village (also called Savers). And you'd NEVER know it ! Fantastic place for jeans and dress shirts for men (and women's dresses). Skip the Tshirts, they never hold up well and will look used. Then when these new clothes are too big, re-donate them and buy 'new' smaller stuff until you reach a stable weight.

Archived